Help identifying car

Guest Steve Hughes

Guest Steve Hughes

A friend gave me this family photo and he wants to know what kind of car this is. I said that I would help. I have been trying to ID it using the Standard Catalog, but there are so many makes it is almost impossible to check them all. I have looked at quite a few of the more common ones, but haven't been able to narrow it down. Can anyone help to ID this car? Any help would be appreciated.

post-66042-143138711359_thumb.jpg

Hi group, just a guess realy. But the mystery car has that late teens GM look to it. So I will suggest circa 1918 Chevrolet. I am sure there are some early Chev guys out there who know one way or the other.

All the best, Greg in Canada

Guest De Soto Frank

If you click on the photo and enlarge it, there's some pretty good detail on the spark and throttle quadrant and possibly the hubcaps.... some sharp-eyed individual might recognize from those clues...

I think it's a low to mid-low-priced car...

Guest Steve Hughes

Thanks guys. I think 1937hd45 has done it. I had looked at the Chevrolet FB, but the cowl to windshield didn't look right. I hadn't noticed the wide hood louvers, but that also seems to rule out the Chevrolet. The 1918 Maxwell photos that I have been able to find on the internet do seem to match very well.

1937hd45, do you have any photos that you could either post or email to me that might have better detail than the ones I have found online?

Steve, I just flipped through The Standard Catalog of American Cars and found a Maxwell that looked close. How many 1911 Hupmobile Model 20Tourings are there out there? I saw the one Carl Zellers now owns. Hadn't seen it since the late 1960's, the restoration has held up very well.

Bob, I saw Carls Hupp at Hershey this year and it has been well kept. My conversation with him led me to believe that only 38 were built? He may have documentation for this number. I also have a '11 Touring, old restoration with original leather upholstery,but a running driveable auto. I am reducing my collection,so it will be on the market in the spring. --Bob