Best Rear View Mirror Adhesive?

carbdoc

The inside rear view mirror has now been reinstalled onto (and subsequently fallen off of) the windshield of my '78 Dodge truck twice in about the past year. I am following the instructions to the letter each time, but the products which are available at local auto parts chain stores simply do not seem to be doing the job

So: I am now in search of the best rear view mirror adhesive available; I will gladly mail-order it if necessary. Any recommendations?

Jeff

In my limited experience it is hit and miss. Sometimes you get some old stock and it does not work. I would try another brand and hopefully you will get some newer stock. As crazy as it sounds, you might do better picking it up at Walmart, where it has probably not been on the shelf as long as it may have been on the shelf at a small auto parts house.

Matthew,

Thanks. I had begun thinking along the same lines: limitations of shelf life.

But with mirrors falling off of everyone's windshields with such alarming regularity, wouldn't one think that the product would never sit around long enough to go "stale"?!? That was what I had assumed . . . . until I couldn't get this one to stick, no matter what I tried!

Jeff

I have only had to use that type of product 4 or 5 times in my life. One time, I had to go back and buy a second product, as the first one failed to stick. Every other time, it worked fine. I don't remember which brand I bought, but I am convinced that shelf life was the problem that one time that it did not work.

This may not be the most convienent or prettiest, but JB Weld held rear view mirror of one vehicle for many years--never had to fix it again. Had to tape the little "holder" securely onto the windshield and let set up overnight. Clear epoxies might do the same.

Guest Siegfried

I installed 3rd brake lights in my '84 and '85 VW's just to protect my backside from people who are driving, and don't remember when cars only had 2 brake lights. I used GOOP Automotive glue. It works. I tried front mirror adhesives, and all I got was failure after a few months. Only lost a 3rd. brake light once in 5 years of using GOOP. $5.95 at Home Depot, or Lowe's. :D

UPDATE

Okay, here is what I used: Permatex Extreme Rearview Mirror Professional Strength Adhesive, item # 81840, purchased at AutoZone and bearing a 2009 copyright date.

And here is how it performed: so far, so good. I used it precisely according to the directions, but I let it dry for two hours instead of the suggested fifteen minutes. No problems, even though the adjustment joint of the mirror is a bit stiff.

I'll keep you posted if it should fall off . . .

Jeff

Guest rsd9699

As they say - out line with crayon on the outside glass.

Clean the inside of the glass and the metal keeper.

Wash with prepsol or something that removes oil.

Break the tube of cleaner/catalist and clean both glass and keeper.

Put glue on both glass and keeper

Place keeper on glass - pay attention to what is top and bottom of keeper.

Your done.

I have done this on many cars and it holds even in the Texas heat and I have never had one fall off.

Ron

I bought two different glue products that specifically said they were for rear view mirrors and neither worked. My wife gave me a small bottle of something called Gorilla Glue and it worked great. I didn't use alcohol or anything else on the windshield first-I just wiped it with a rag. I put the mirror on 3 months ago and it's still stuck to the windshield so I highly recommend Gorilla Glue....