3 Questions for the Forum

414TATA

Hello Buick lovers

Just got back from a 40+ mile run in my '41. I have had it out just a few times since I got it in August. It was in the shop with my trusted mechanic for the usual going over compression check, plugs etc. The car has less than 24K original miles so it has done a lot of sitting. It has been running good since I got it back from shop except for after fueling. ( I don't fill it. just getting $20 - $25 which will give me a little over a 1/4 tank 87 oct.). After I drive about 4 miles after fueling, the engine starts to miss real bad as I accelerate and continues on to 40 or 50 MPH.

It was suggested to me, I may have moisture in the fuel line (tank) so today I put some SEA FOAM in with around 8 or so gallons of fuel. I have driven it around 20 miles since. It is still missing. Opinions on the additive and possible problems.

I will drive it a few more miles to see what happens. I am trying to keep it out of the shop if possible.

I have a couple more questions but will do it on a new thread.

I think I have learned how to attach photos so here goes.

Thanks. I really enjoy this forum.

Wayne B.

1941 Buick Super 50

Fresno, Ca.

post-78086-143138691284_thumb.jpg

post-78086-143138691318_thumb.jpg

post-78086-143138691349_thumb.jpg

Wayne

That's a tough one as we would tend to go through the "usual suspects" of issues. I think you are onto something with the fule delivery.

Check off these possibilities:

1. Replaced fuel filter

2. Carb may need rebuilt

3. Ignition under load or does it just start missing in cruise mode.

Guest Harold Phillips

Does the miss get worse under more load? is it rragged or a steady pulse, ignition tends to be under heavy load, fuel starvation under more engine speed, run the engine in the dark and look for spark leaks on wires. just a few ideas of things easy to check

• 2 weeks later...

My guess would be a contaminated gas tank. It's common for tanks that are stored for long periods to develop rust on the inside of the top of the tank itself. Rust will develop rust dust that settles in the bottom of the tank and is stirred up when you add fuel. That stirred up rust will travel to the carburetor and cause your problem.

Two suggested fixes:

#1 Add a fuel filter (Visible type) before the carburetor. This will show all the rust dust traveling up your gas line. If you are lucky this will fix your problem but require frequent changes.

#2 Drop the tank and have it cleaned and sealed, then do #1 and hope the ethanol in your gas doesn't dissolve the sealer.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
spell check (see edit history)

Not certain I totally understand the conditions of your issue.

If you drive to a station and put fuel in the car (the engine is warmed to normal operating temperature) and the engine ran normally (warmed up) and THEN started missing 4 miles after the refueling, I would concur with the poster stating fuel tank contamination. Stort term mix is an inline fuel filter, long term fix is redo the fuel tank.

However, if the car starts missing after about 4 miles ANYTIME, you probably have a different issue. When the engine is cold, the choke adds enrichment to the fuel mixture, possibly masking a vacuum leak. Also, old coils tend to break down WHEN HOT.

Please try to restate the conditions. Lots of sharp individuals read these forums. Someone will figure it out.

Jon.

Guest outlaw car man

Wayne, very possibly you are cleaning the system as you drive, with the ethanol & Seafoam added to the gas. Everything heads forwards to the carb and issues begin. I have a similar but different situation going on.

If you don't have an inline filter, be surprised if you don't, there is an easy way to start. AutoZone etc has them, extremely easy to install.

I bet that will help, easy & cheap. If not, head to the carb itself, may have all sorts of nastys in there plugging up the needle & seat and stuff-

Zillion other thing too, but I'd head this way as some others have suggested.

I learn stuff weekly from this forum, keep asking, as Jon said, someone will have the answer.

Sandy

OCM

I would also check the fuel pump. Check the glass to see if there are particles in it. If there are, clean it and drive the car again. If after your drive you find more particles, then maybe some are making their way to the carb. Do you have dual carbs? If so, maybe they are out of sinc. Your issues could be multiple. Gas tank to fuel pump to carbs. I replaced the gas tank with a new stainless one, rebuilt the fuel pump and had the carbs put in sinc. The first two you could easily do yourself. Leave the carbs to a professional. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt with my model 41. Good luck.

Edited by Den41Buick (see edit history)

I am still on a learning curve of responding here.(may have posted twice):o

Thanks to all who offered suggestions and shared their knowledge with me on the "missing" problem I am having.

I have the car with my trusted mechanic since Friday and hope to hear from him tomorrow.

I will pass on several of your suggestions. Hope this gets it taken care of. I want to drive it this week:)

Wayne B.

1941 Buick Super

Guest shadetree77

Another vote for fuel tank contamination here. This is exactly what happened to my 52 when I got it. It drove fine for awhile, then started missing on acceleration. I didn't clean out the tank when I bought it and it had been sitting for years and years. I looked down in the carb and some of my jets were not squirting fuel when the accelerator was pressed. I even had an inline filter on it, and it still clogged. I dropped the fuel tank to clean and re-condition it and you would not believe what I got out of it! The "gas" was the color of tea and full of rust, sludge, and 9 walnuts. Yes, you read that right. I found 9 walnuts in my gas tank! I also had to replace the sending unit, re-build the carburetor, and clean out all the fuel lines. This was all quite a job. Good luck!!

Wayne,

Does the miss stop at high speeds above the 40 to 50 mph you mentioned?

Someone mentioned bad condensor. I would check all your sparkplug wires. I would check your distributor wires. I had a lose wire for the condensor and that made the car run link it had a miss. Check your points too.

• 3 weeks later...

To All who offered helpful advice here on my engine missing problem.

I just got my car back from the shop today. I have only had a chance to drive on city streets to get home but seems to be running well. My mechanic replaced the rotor and cap he said it was "chewed up" pretty badly.:confused: Also had some gaskets replaced while in the shop as it was dripping lots of oil. I know it will still drip some but should be much improved. Also had sludge cleaned from the pan while it was off. (Lots)

I am anxious to get the car on the highway for a good run to see how it's doing.

The fuel filter checked out clean so I think I am okay on the contaminated fuel tank.

It sure is good to see her back at home tonight.:D

Thanks again for the help.

Wayne

1941 Buick Super