Problems with Lax Judging

Bob Stein

I recently judged a show where the chassis judge correctly identified radial tires as a major deduction for two of the cars. Although the team captain admitted that the cars never came with radials, he said that 'they were around' in the year the car was made and said not to make the deductions. The chassis judge chose not to argue the point any further, and the deductions were not taken. Since I was not the chassis judge, I decided that it was not my place to argue the point.

While I am all for making the hobby fun and do not want to nit-pick anyone, this was very unfair to those in the class who had gone to the trouble and expense to put correct tires on their vehicles. It was also a disservice to the owners who would then go to the expense of taking the car to the next level show and lose when the deductions ARE taken. If the Team Captains are not going to uphold AACA standards, then what good is the whole system?

Even more technically it is "as it could have come from the factory with the addition of any factory authorized but dealer installed accessories", assuming that there might have been authorized accessories that were only installed by the dealer and never by the factory.

Good addition to what I said. :D

And Wayne, we KNOW you are testing us to see if we are paying attention. :P