Repair or buy new Shackles

Guest Wes

Finally got to do some work on my 47 Custom Super Clipper and found both shackles eaten up with rust on one of the two bolts. My big question is should I go out and buy a new pair off the shelf, that won't look anything like the original or cut off the bad bolt, drill it out and press a new bolt in, keep it looking stock from the factory?

I would like to keep it as close as possible to original, but at the same time keeping safety in mind for many years of happy carefree driving.

Thanks for any and all help

Wes

post-45407-143138690596_thumb.jpg

post-45407-14313869062_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wes (see edit history)

Based on a very preliminary scan of the 35-41, 48-54, and the Clipper parts manuals, I think the shackles were the same for 1941-47 (Clippers only) and the 48-50 22nd, 23rd series. The manuals show different part numbers for the non-Clipper based vehicles.

You might give one of the vendors a call to see if they can help.

I can see why Wes wants to replace his but what are the thoughts on replacing these as preventive maintenance. I have a new set of bushings I friend with a lift will install for me, and I really did not think about the actual shackles until seeing this post. I doubt rust is an issue in my case as the undercarriage is really clean but now thinking about metal fatigue.

What's a "good price" & does the MOOG part go back to '39?

Thoughts? Thanks.

The shackles in the pics look exactly like the ones on my 48 22nd series eight. So I bet they are interchangeable.

In Wes`s case, they do look as though the strength is compromised by the extensive corrosion. I would look for another pair.

However, they are very stout for the job they are asked to do. Corrosion aside, I would not worry about metal fatigue. Do examine them minutely for cracks though. Then clean them up and re-use. I always paint mine with copper grease, which will prevent future corrosion and allow the nuts to be torqued correctly.

Adam..

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe now I can buy that metal lathe that I've always wanted.:D I took this shackle and cut off the bolt end and than press out the end piece. It looks like the bolt was pressed in and than the end sticking out was braded over. Oh, now it looks like I need an actylene torch and don't for get the bench press. Boy is my wife goin' to love me. :rolleyes:When I tell her how much money I just saved by just buying the shackles. Still looking to buy a pair.;) Thanks for all your help, and here are some pictures of the shackle cut apart.

post-45407-143138710366_thumb.jpg

post-45407-143138710372_thumb.jpg

post-45407-143138710377_thumb.jpg

post-45407-143138710381_thumb.jpg

post-45407-143138710385_thumb.jpg