Little differences for '39

danhar1960

I was just generally scrounging around out in the shed and went through a box this morning that had a few rear and front badges. I had five of one type of rear badge and one of another. I'm wondering if the odd one out is for a later model, maybe '41 or something. The badge is physically the same except for the stag head and cross are different. Maybe different manufacturers or something. Are there different part numbers for '39-'40 and '41 ??

Curious...........

Danny

post-37069-143138681059_thumb.jpg

1939 Buick owners probably know this already but there are several detail differences between various 1939 Buicks. Examples include the number of bars in the grill and on the wiper mounts and variations in the speedometer numbering. Maybe there are others. Has anybody documented the reasons for this?

Maybe these badges fall into the same category?

1939 Buick owners probably know this already but there are several detail differences between various 1939 Buicks. .... Maybe there are others...
Long - short chassis :eek:

Steering box ratio

Brace over transmission

Front bumper mounting

Have these cross reference to frame number (info ex Buick documentation)

Edited by 1939_buick
added bumper comment (see edit history)

Danhar1960 - Have a look at the back. Does one have soldered screws that are used as studs to secure the emblem?

I had a repro front emblem that fell off. I must have over-tightened the nuts. It had screws with heads soldered (or similar) into place.

The old chipped original therefore went on again and is still there.

Dave,

Thanks for that. Here's a pic of the backs. The badge on the left has Fox Company Cin.Ti.o USA. There looks to be something similar on the other but it has enamel on the back with 500 on it.

Terry,

You can call me Danny mate :). Both seem to have an unthreaded shaft that would be affixed with a spring clip (not sure of the correct name).

I tend to lean toward a different manufacturer but one would think they would have had to work from a common drawing:confused:.

Danny

post-37069-143138682542_thumb.jpg

Guest gossir00

The one with the smaller stag head and elongated cross is for a '41. The other one is for a '39 and '40.

The correct posts on backs are studs with retaining clips.

As regards whether or not you have repros suggest contacting Bob's Automobilia, Atascadero, Ca, USA ph (805)4342963. They sell repros eg part #TE391 and the repos may have manufacturer stamp on back. Also note Bob's catalog has picture of the emblem which shows 39-40 emblem eg larger stag.

I was just generally scrounging around out in the shed and went through a box this morning that had a few rear and front badges. I had five of one type of rear badge and one of another. I'm wondering if the odd one out is for a later model, maybe '41 or something. The badge is physically the same except for the stag head and cross are different. Maybe different manufacturers or something. Are there different part numbers for '39-'40 and '41 ??

Curious...........

Danny

Danny,

My 1940 Buick series 90L has the emblem on the left between the turn signal lights on the trunk (boot). I am the second owner of this car, if you don't count the consigner I bought it from, so I would tend to believe it's the origional crest.

Mike in Colorado

:):):)