Value of DeSoto hemi

Rusty_OToole

I know a man who collects scrap. He told me he has a DeSoto hemi V8 he wants to sell. Have not seen it yet and do not know the year, model, condition or completeness.

Does anyone have any idea how to determine the value? I know it would be worth approx $50 for scrap iron and figure $200 and up for a complete engine.

What do you think it would be worth? I have to have some idea before I see it because he will expect some kind of offer when I first go and see it.

Guest Bob Call

Rusty

If you can buy the engine for $500 of less, GET IT!.

Early Chrysler Corporation V8's have the engine serial number stamped on the top of the block at the front of the lifter valley, above and behind the water pump. If it's a DeSoto the engine number will start with an S prefix.

S17 - 1952 276 CI Firedome low deck

S16 - l953 276 CI Firedome low deck

S19 - 1954 276 CI Firedome low deck

S21 - 1955 291 CI Fireflite low deck (High performance)

S22 - 1955 291 CI Firedome low deck

S23 - 1956 330 CI Firedome high deck

S24 - 1956 330 CI Fireflite high deck (High performance)

S24A - 1956 330 CI Adventurer high deck (2 4 barrel very rare)

S25 - 1957 341 CI Firedome high deck

S26 - 1957 341 CI Fireflite high deck (high performance)

S26A - 1957 345 CI Adventurer high deck (2 4 barrel extremely rare)

For other passenger car engine ID's see the page

Hemi Engine Identification, Chrysler, Dodge, DeSoto, Hemi Engine ID

Hot Hemi Heads site is guys devoted to rodding first generation Chrysler Corporation hemi engines. They have a buy-sell forum where all kinds of stock engine parts are regularly offered for sale. A rebuildable early hemi core is worth at least $500. If running, $1000 and up.

There were also issues with crankshaft longevity in the "small" Hemis in the earlier 1950s Dodges, which had their own unique displacement. Each Chrysler division which used that engine family had their own unique displacements.

Plymouth didn't get a V-8 until about 1955, but then it was the "Polyspherical" Head V-8 "A" block motor. Dodge had the Hemis, but they were small bore and short stroke, but also with smaller main journals on the earlier, smaller displacement sizes. DeSoto had the long stroke versions with displacements just smaller than those used in Chryslers, which had the largest displacement versions and a more balanced bore and stroke size.

HotHeads has been around for quite a while. With the increased interest in earlier street rods, their business has been expanding since their earlier times.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Scrap is up. I got $80 for a Chevy 235 and I kept the manifolds, bell, starter, etc. all off it. A full V8 should bring at least $100.

Even dead it's worth $500 for the parts in it, if it turns and is clean and nice the value goes up, and they're worth sitting on or waving around on a place like the HAMB -