'52 Olds steering wheel with clock?

Pontiac59

Have a chance to get one of these fairly cheap.

Are they rare? What's fair market? I see one on eBay in closed listings that didn't meet reserve at $230 or so. This one is probably as nice, cleaned up.

And how do you take the horn ring apart to get to the nut? Does it unscrew from behind like most, or do I have to pry like a similar era Chevy wheel, that almost always chips them?

Guest rsd9699

I have only seen one in person on a car in OK. They are not common and this fellow had the factory info that explained how to retrofit the wheel back as far as 1949 on olds. The driving pf the car and twisting of the wheel wound the clock and is not electrically wound so it is a novelty item unless you drive the car daily.

I do not know how it comes apart - but it should not be rocket science - pun intended.

Ron

Hi; nice steering wheel ,You have to pull the center cap up then everthing is avaible.The turn signal arm is special to the wheel.The clock is held in by screws under the horn ring.I would be interested in the steering colum.Thanks Ed

No, it wasn't a P/S column. I lopped it off down just above where it narrows to go into the box, because I have a guy who needs some pieces and wasn't sure how much he wants.

As long as I'm asking '52 Olds questions, does the driveshaft yoke slide right out of the trans with this early Hydro trans? I've never really messed around with one before, and I need to pull the rearend out of this one.

hi, yes, the driveshaft will slip off the tailshaft of the hydra-matic, once you have unbolted the rear u joint, push the driveshaft forward alittle to lower the rear portion of the driveshaft, then pull the driveshaft rearward to slide the yoke off the tailshaft. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

I still can't get this center cap to turn, it moves a little but doesn't rotate. Of course, it probably hasn't been touched in 50 years either.

I asked about the rearend because I figured to drop the springs and let the whole thing flop off it while they pick the car up.

For what it's worth, should this be paired up with the factory compass that I pulled from the same car, that locates in the hole where a regular clock would have been?

Said compass is intact, but dry of fluid and while it still turns, no matter how I seem to turn it it reads the same.

Center turns about 2 degrees and goes clunk and the whole horn ring turns just a bit. I'm not sure if the clunk is inside the center, or the ring clunking on the clock.

Edited by Pontiac59 (see edit history)

Guest rsd9699

Yes do use the compass. I gave over $150 for a nos one 7 years ago. Wonder what fluid they used to float the unit in - antifreeze (ethelin glycol)?

Ron

Okay, that video was a huge help. It's sort of like removing a 2-pin taillight or dash bulb, you have to push down on the whole thing and turn to get it off the pins that hold it in place. Except there are three pins on it.

You'd about have to soak the whole center in something to get fluid into the inside, as the center piece has a deep metal ring on it.

Next challenge will be undoing the bolt with the column out loose... yikes.

As for the compass, my understanding is most are filled with mineral oil, or common baby oil, as it's clear, a little thicker than plain water, and of course doesn't freeze.

I just meant, should it and the wheel be paired together. I'm thinking about going and cutting the rest of the dash out of this car - it's in a you-pick yard of all places. You don't want to know what I paid for this stuff, you'd be sick.

Edited by Pontiac59 (see edit history)

Guest rsd9699

I would NOT expect the dash to be spot welded back then, my 49, 56 olds bolt in as does my 56 caddy.

I used three of the dash "pods" to hold the clock, compass and my "factory air" controls on my 49.

Maybe you can salvage the entire car and make a few bucks.

Pictures will help sell your parts.

Ron

No, once the car goes in, the only way it leaves is whatever I don't take off will be about 15 inches tall. Which will happen in no more than about 6 weeks. It's a rotty 4-door sedan anyways, it's not terrible rotty but most of the body panels are rusted to some degree, the left front door mechanism is stuck latched closed, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

I am hoping that I can get some advice on removal of the steering wheel and repair of the turn signal mechanism on a 51 Olds. The housing which has the gear indicator on it has come loose and rotates loosely about 20 degrees. When it is not centred it is difficult to use the indicator arm. I am hoping this will be an easy repair or just adding a missing screw, but want to be forewarned as much as I can.

Thanks!

Andrew