Metalwork advice needed

jim5618

A lot of todays body shops are pretty much remove and replace type shops so you need an "older time" body shop. The weld needs to be ground off and a good reweld made, then ground flush. Or you could have it media blasted, straightened, cracks welded, bad weld redone, primed and painted. In other words made to look new. Either way just basic stuff..........Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

You can probably find someone closer but I met Bill Murphy (740-843-5408) from Portland Ohio this summer and saw some of his fabrication work and he is an artist. He could make you a new one using your patchwork piece as a pattern. He is currently doing some specialty pieces for Crosleys as a side project is how I got to know him.

hey jim that does'nt look horrible... it would need cleaned up( paint/rust removed) grind those old welds down and go from there. it doesnt look to thin so an easy tig weld and you would be on your way to body and paint work. i do metal work check out the thread mentioned in the previous reply glad to help out in your project!

Thanks all. The piece is pretty solid, I just didn't like the bad weld job. Wasn't sure if the metal was too brittle to re-weld.

Restorer32, where are you located? I also have an original taillight bracket that needs to be...."Puddle welded" ?? at least that is what I was told it needed.