1907 Holsman on WV Craigslist - $85K

Hi gang; rare or not, and I know Holsman's are quite rare $85,000.00 sounds like a pretty steep price. Auto-buggy style cars as a group {Sears, IHC etc.} have survived in fairly significant numbers and as I recall usually sell for rather less. This may be an exceptional example, but I think one would have to be unusually dedicated to being a Holsman owner to consider paying so much for the privilege. Perhaps I underestimate the desirability of Holsman's and would be happy to hear a justification for such a asking price. {other than it's a free country and an individual can ask whatever he want to} All the best Greg

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure where the $85K figure came from but here is the deal

1907 HOLSMAN HIGH WHEEL AUTOMOBILE

The best, most incredible piece I have picked in my life!

SO ORIGINAL AS IF FROM A TIME CAPSULE!

BARN FRESH!

I bought this in August 2011 from the estate of the second owner. It includes all documents from the first owner, including drivers handbook,owners manual, sales catalog and more.

VIRGIN UNTOUCHED MASTERPIECE. 100% ORIGINAL AS LEFT THE FACTORY WITH 104+ YEARS OF ACCUMULATED DUST. PROBABLY THE BEST ORIGINAL HOLSMAN THERE IS!

2 cylinder engine turns over, has original leather covered drive chains. Beautiful leather button/tuck upholstery. Rear seat is removable to use as a pickup. It even has the original tailgate, an unmarked board with matching paint, wow!

UNFIRED, HAS GOOD COMPRESSION SEEMS READY TO RUN, A THRILL FOR THE NEW OWNER.

Earliest WV undated license plate.

I'll have this on my spot - OAE30 - at the AACA Hershey Car Show on Tuesday October 4th. Will sell to the highest offer left on Friday Noon October 7. Write your name, phone number and offer on a hundred dollar bill. That way I won't lose it.

pictures at David Wasserman

So, how are you going to get the hundred dollar bills back to the people who's offer you reject? Or are you just collecting hundred dollar bills?

Why would you lose a reasonable offer on a vehicle written on plain paper unless you're not really serious about selling, want way too much for it, or are just careless in your dealings with buying & selling cars?

Great Thread ;)

If you look at the CL ad pictures ,

This " incredible find " is on a ratty looking car trailer

" Flipper " is what I see here

This is why I am an AACA Member

Mystery solved within a short period of time ....

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dash Riprock
Hi gang; rare or not, and I know Holsman's are quite rare $85,000.00 sounds like a pretty steep price. Auto-buggy style cars as a group {Sears, IHC etc.} have survived in fairly significant numbers and as I recall usually sell for rather less. This may be an exceptional example, but I think one would have to be unusually dedicated to being a Holsman owner to consider paying so much for the privilege. Perhaps I underestimate the desirability of Holsman's and would be happy to hear a justification for such a asking price. {other than it's a free country and an individual can ask whatever he want to} All the best Greg

I'm very curious to know what others think as well. I have seen very nicely restored Hi Wheelers sell for right around $40K and that's for a rare auto buggy. Is a Hi Wheeler in this condition, although original, some might consider it as needing restoration while others may not, more in the $15K to $20K bracket, max? Especially without a top. Or am I just not getting it? Even if you throw in an extra $5K for rarity and "gotta have it" fee, I would think you could find something very similar out there. I'd enjoy hearing the perspective of others.

As far as his towing it to Hershey, that just seems unfathomable to me. Knowing the high probability of rain and the fact that judging by the pics, chances are it will be transported on an open trailer, to me that just has disaster written all over it. Such a shame as something like this is only original once and to have the upholstery as well as everything else ruined by all that exposed travel just makes me sick to my stomach. It's always a shame when the 'finds' aren't found by true enthusiasts but by those out to make money. If this is the case, I hope he's prepared to lose $$$ with every mile it's towed, not to mention missing out on all the serious buyers that don't want to rearrange their lives to go to Hershey just to give him a $100 bill with a hope of purchasing it.

Guest A1915dodge

Sounds pretty clear that the hundred dollar bill thing was a joke! Just the misarable cheap people have to complain. Doesnt the owner get to choose the price? I put a 1907 harley strap tank engine on ebay hopeing to get 15-20K and ended up with 67k so what you critics think is unreal may be right on the money. A Trepanier.

• 2 years later...

I'm researching a Holsman, number 2110, that came from the Dr. Samuel L. Scher collection to the Richard C. Paine Jr., collection at the Seal Cove Auto Museum in the mid 1960's. The car was an AACA National Prize winner, but do not know when, or if, Dr. Scher was the owner when awarded. Did AQ ever do an article on Holman? Do any of you have the book "Holsman History 1901 -1910 by Franklin B. Tucker (1994)" that you would sell, or donate, to the Seal Cove? I want to date the car and establish provenance. We have it dated as 1902, which is incorrect, most likely 1907. Any leads or information would be appreciated.