Cleaning an old engine

MrEarl

I soon will be cleaning a couple of my 54's engines that have not been ran for quite a few years (one for probaby 25 or more).

There is another thread currently running with bits and pieces of information about this but I would like to hear comprehensive comments and suggestions on how to clean and what to give special attention to when cleaning engines that have not been ran for some time.

Please comment about cleaning both lubrication and cooling parts of the engines.

Also please differentiate between straight and V-8 engines. :)

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Everyone will probably have an opinion / method that they use. For me I would not attempt to start any engine that has been sitting for so long. Maybe unless you knew for certain that it ran OK 25 years ago and was using a good quality detergent oil. Even then I would pull the sump ( oil pan ) and clean it out as a minimum and put fresh oil in. It only takes a blocked oil gallery and your engine is rooted. :(

Hi Lamar-Lots of ideas out there for this. I've done this a number of times with long sitting engines -first to pull spark plugs and shoot WD40, ect to soak the rings-then see if the engine will turn and maybe turn over(and not with the starter at this point). If it won't turn, I put some pressure back and forth and give it some time. If it turns some and stops, it's usually stuck valves so off with the covers and rockers to free up/lube the stems. I have usually been able to free up undamaged engines. Others did have damage and that was the reason the car was 'off the road'. I like to run an engine if I can-good to have a 'listen'. A number of times I have found badlyworn cam/lifters on engines that did run fairly well. I generally replace cam/lifters timing set and rod bearings-sometimes the oil pump. That's it as long as compression is good and even. Most clean up 'gook' it found in the pan and valve covers. For me, frequent oil/filter changes follow-good luck Dan Mpls. Mn.

Sounds like you are already getting good advice. Also, if you get it running, it is good to flush the cooling system and replace the aged anifreeze. Greasy, Filthy, Dirty, engines I high pressure wash before I work on them. Then there is always standard stuff like cleaning, or changing, the points, and cleaning the carburetor. And being sure you have a fresh fuel supply.

Out to the Buick Gardens to, "Give it a whirl, Mr. Earl?" :D Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

I wouldn't spend a whole lot of $$ on new parts until you determine whether or not you have the popular "1954 boat anchor" or a salvageable engine block. :D

To determine that, you need to pull the engine and strip her down all the way, looking for a cracked block (usually in the frost plug areas.....and having it magnafluxed after a thorough cleaning), busted casting pieces, heavily scored cylinder walls, twisted connecting rods, and everything else. Also, remember the insides might still have remnants of 57 year old caked-on non-detergent oil stuck in the oil passage ways.

After you have the engine and accessories (starter, generator, distributor, voltage regulator, carburetor, etc.) checked or replaced, you always have the infamous Dynaflow transmission (leaks) to consider. As in a previous post, there's a reason why the car was "parked" years ago. You get to find out that reason.

To do it right, expect to spend upwards of $3,000 along with alot of your time (months) if you pull and replace the engine yourself, chasing down parts, hauling it around, and finding a knowledgeable rebuild shop. Maybe a more economical way would be to look for a good RUNNING engine/transmission being pulled from a 1954 Buick being street rodded.

You might be opening up the proverbial "Georgia bag of snakes" once you get started. Good Luck!

Just my $.02 worth. :eek:

Al Mack

"Alot of Miles Northwest of Georgia"

I posted pics of my '50 straight 8 engine that had sat for 20-30 yrs in Buick-General section under the post "Didn't quite make it" . That will give you some real proof of what an engine looks like that has sat for Yeaaars !!! Good Luck!

Guest shadetree77

Mr. Earl, I can't vouch for this personally because I've never tried it, but after doing quite a bit of research on cleaning out engines that are still together in a car this sounds like it would be a very effective process. I'll just throw up a link to this thread. Make sure you read all of the posts by user "buick man" on there. This was done to a 57 nailhead if I'm reading correctly. Thanks to "buick man" for the info and pictures.

http://forums.aaca.org/f162/nailhead-pan-clean-up-photographed-308763.html

To get off grease/grime I found Easy Off Oven Cleaner to do the best job.

That is good if you do not want to save the Original Paint. Oven cleaner is Basically lye, which is what is used to tank parts. Dandy Dave!