Now for something completely different.

Guest Double M

Guest Double M

Me & my Reatta have been spending alot of time at my mechanics shop. It is located, literally around the corner from my house. I bought my 1985 Dodge Diplomat from him for $500, drove it for 5 years and sold it back to him for $500 to use as a demolition derby car when I bought the Reatta.

Everty time I walk over there, I see this...224506_10150355012677316_755087315_9833807_841240_n.jpg

184050_10150355012262316_755087315_9833802_2547766_n.jpg

I am a sucker for Mopars, I dont even know the price. I know this is the Reatta Forum, but alot of you are more than just Reatta fans. Any comments or advice including recomendations of a good psychiatrist are welcome.

It seems in great shape, never been hit, minimal rust, it has a 318 in it, so it wont be that thirsty on gas. I know it isnt as cool or as thrifty as the Reatta, and I am not thinking of selling the Reatta.

Forgive this non Reatta posting, but I hope you all understand that I suffer from the same disease that many of you do, called oldcaritus, and as you all know there is no cure.

a) Did you know that the first word in ANFSCD is "and" ?

B) Looks good on top but would be more concerned about what it looks like underneath particularly in that part of the world. (See some color in the wheel well)

c) 318 was much maligned in the day but seemed nearly bulletproof and is a good choice today (personally would rather have a Slant-Six Dart with typewriter).

d) That steering wheel might be worth more than the rest of the car.

Guest Recian

cant miss those dodge hubcaps. I agree the original 318 is indestructable just like the reatta's 3800. I'd check closely underneath since that wheelwell is showing some rust

Guest Richard D

NOT COOL? We have a different idea of what is cool. If there are not many rust issues and the car has the options you like then it is plenty cool. IMHO.

As far as slant sixes, my aunt let hers idle in the back yard for a weekend about 25 years ago. She was out of town then called me in a panic when she saw the brown grass under the car and the key in the run position. A couple gallons of gas, a battery jump then an oil change and it was fine except for a high speed miss. Set of plugs fixed that. Car ran on for over 200,000 miles before the body turned into iron oxide.

ps it was almost full of gas when she left.

I purchased an old Plymouth 4 door just like that one a year ago only red, it was a 66. had 84000 for $375.00 and sold it to a school kid 2 months later for $650.00 after changing oil and a battery. Old car ran great, just no market here for an old 4 door. 2 door would help the value

Chuck

Guest Squire Tom

don't forget there were TWO 318's . the late 50's early 60's 318/361/383 desirable wide block wedge and the later Canadian narrow block 318/340 . the latter was terrible on fuel for some reason. have not researched the cutoff or reasons for their usage.

Guest Recian

im referring to the ones like I had in my 67 coronet 440. The 2 bbl 318 was good on gas for how big the car was since it had a 2.73, 7 3/4 rear end. That block was also used in my 90 dodge truck right before they changed to the magnum in 92 and went to roller rockers. They used t-body injection on those trucks until the magnums and went to multi port fuel injection which was better for mpg but still took away the good 318s

Guest Double M

Well, the owner, my mechanic, says he promises that he will only sell it to me, but he still has not set a price. It is in alot better shape than I first thought.

I'd get it as a back up, and try to keep the Reatta.

I told him I'd like to get it for less than it costs to fix my Reatta, which also has yet to be detirmined. I am following Daves progress with his code 21 problem as well, to see if that will be the fix w/o replacing the whole Teves/Master Cylinder unit.

Guest Richard D

Does it have A/C and a torque-Flite?

i know I probably spelled it wrong Torque Flyte, no, that can't be right either. Torque Flight, nope. Oh well, tell me more about this oldcaritus, I am glad I don't have it.

I once saw a car made from two '56 fords that had been cut in half and then the front of each car was welded together just behind the back of the front seats. It had two hoods and two bench seats facing opposite directions. One hood had a motor in it and the other was used as a trunk.

It was used as a delivery vehicle at a Auto Parts store. On the sides it said, "I don't know if I'm coming or going".

I think I saw it in Dayton OH. Anyone else ever see it?

Guest Double M

It's part of the zen of the old car market that as time goes by, all thats left are the 4 door models, the odd colors or the junkers. The Convertibles usually end up in some collectors garage, the sport models end up wrapped around a tree, Hot Rodded or end up at Barret Jackson and god knows what happens to the Station Wagons. If this was 2 door, I would not have even approached him about it, and he probably would not have it in the first place.

Then you got what I call the "the in-betweens". The Reatta falls into this zone, it isnt an Antique yet and isnt as a popular (no offence) or well known amongst the general public. These cars can be gotten at great bargains, like my Reatta, which I got on ebay for just $1200

So these are the "zones" I try to buy into with my very limited budget.

For instance, I bought my very mint 1969 GS 400 for $1500 in 1982. Nobody I knew even knew what a GS was at that time and nobody even cared for that matter. Everyone said "I heard of a GTO, but not a GS".... Nowadys I couldnt even dream of buying that car for less than a 5 figure price.