What chassis is this Special built on?

alsancle

If it was built prior to 1932 the engine will be something other than a Ford V8 - also the angle of the exhausts is wrong for a Ford. If the wheels belong to the original chassis they could be mid to late 1920s Oakland. I wonder if it has had an Oakland V8 fitted (??).

I should really put something together for each of Gus's cars but he built around 15 prior to WWII including sprint cars. I would like to try to figure out what chassis is under #9. Number 8 was on a Duesenberg Model A chassis. #11, my car is on a Stutz Chassis which was ordered by a customer in 1928 but because of the stockmarket crash not completed until after #10. Here is an advertisement from the early 30s promoting his custom body building.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1313664&d=1304698564

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

The first tank is a cooling tank with water. Covering the tanks was a later addition to the car. Special #10 pictured here (From the Burn-em up Barnes serial) also had exposed rear tanks. Special #11 they were covered and I think he then updated #9.

889.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

What year Studebaker were you thinking? All the V8 engines I can think of from that era have ports on the inboard side of the block. It doesn't seem that the exhaust pipes would be able to make it up and over the block to the inside of the engine.

I can't see the details of the chassis clearly from the picture but it reminded me of the 1928 1/2 GE Dictator chassis I have. I would need to see a closeup of the rear end of the chassis. Engine I am not sure of but certainly V8 with some inventive exhaust plumbing. An earlier post mentioned Disteel wheels but they were different - with bolt on rims I think.

• 5 months later...

Thoughts on possible Gus Schumacher #9 power plant.

After looking at many pre-1928 V8 engines, I have come up with two early v8s with the exhaust port configuration found on the #9 special. My hunch is that the engine does not necessarily match the chassis. So I have focused on the engine. I have also assumed that Gus built straight exhaust zoomies exiting the hood and that the engine was built stateside for automotive applications. So take all of this with a grain of salt.

The field is small for pre-1928 v8s with that exhaust port configuration after looking at many v8s from the period. Many were excluded by the mere fact of exhaust ports located inboard of the cylinder banks (i.e. Cole, Cadillac, Daniels etc.). Several pre-1928 v8s did have the exhaust ports located outboard (i.e. Chevrolet, Wills-Saint Clair, Willys-Knight, and Stearns-Knight). From that list two-remain that match the #9 special’s exhaust port configuration: Chevrolet and Stearns-Knight. The Stearns-Knight design seems development wise head and shoulders above the 1st Generation Chevrolet v8. These to me were surprising conclusion to the analysis.

Was the Schumacher car powered with a Sleeve-valve v8? Chevrolet? Something else.

My hope is that someone can take this working theory and refute or develop the debate.

See attached Stearns-Knight photo from "Automobile Engineering" 1919, page 365.

Discussion about the Chevrolet including a nice photo here:

OT--- First Chevrolet V8

Vintageride

post-56114-143138824506_thumb.jpg

Edited by vintageride
typo (see edit history)

• 1 year later...