New gas tank. Sealer?

WillBilly53

NO! There is no sealer that I know of that will stand up to the ethanol containing gas we have now. Existing sealers will turn to goo and eventually clog your carbs small passages. This is what I am going thru with my fiberglass Norton tank right now :(

There is a company called Renu that has a sealer that can hold up to todays gas with all even pure ethanol, A little pricey but worth it if you plan on keeping the car forever.

I just had the tank on my 32 done but it needed to be rebuilt due to the last owner putting sealer in it without cleaning the rust out first. Renu fixed it all and sealed it inside and out with a warranty for as long as I own it.

Renu is on the East coast and West coast but very few locations.

hmmmmm. well i do plan on keeping it forever. it's my first and only restoration and I've been working on it for 9 years. The only damper about the Renu is I assume I have to ship the tank to a dealer? Seems like I'll be spending more in shipping and the treatment than the gas tank itself and like others I don't have a lot of money. But maybe I'll save money because the gas tank is brand new and not a flaky shell of rust. Has anybody ever ordered the new gas tanks available from Bob's?

NO! There is no sealer that I know of that will stand up to the ethanol containing gas we have now. Existing sealers will turn to goo and eventually clog your carbs small passages. This is what I am going thru with my fiberglass Norton tank right now :(

If you've got a fiberglass gas tank, you are most probably experiencing what the boat owners experienced when ethanol was added to gasoline in the current higher 10% concentration (up from the prior approx 5.6% in "reformulated gasoline" which preceeded it). Phase separation takes the moisture and ethanol to the bottom of the tank, degrades the fiberglass itself, and that's what goes into the carb as the fuel pickup is at the bottom of the fuel tank.

I concur with Old-Tank, a new tank will do fine if it's treated as he states. Some people have recommended adding Marvel Mystery Oil to gasoline to help decrease the chances of rust from a partially full tank over an extended period of time. I suspect the old "top oil" gasoline additives might work, too.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

I also concur with tank. If you buy a new tank there is no need for sealer. with good gas in the tank we won't live long enough to see it become a problem. Only question is the finish on the outside of the tank. Is it galvanize plated? If not you will have to apply paint. I believe Buick only plated the outside of the tanks when installed?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ray RI

I got my tank from Bob's a couple months ago and no complaints about it. Everything went together with no problems at all. Shipping was fairly quick as well.

You won't have any problems from rust if you run it enough to cycle the gas through the system. Ethanol absorbs any mosture entering the tank and carries it through the engine. Only if the fuel remains in the tank long enough for the ethanol to fully evaporate will you have any problems. New cars with the closed fuel systems are even better protected from alcohol evaporation. If you had any concerns, adding a charcoal filter for air entering the tank will absorb any moisture.

None of this will stop the varnish buildup that happens with these modern gasolines mixtures. Drive more often so the gas doesn't go stale.

Bob