Top irons commonailty for touring cars 14-27?

MikeC5

Guest tmarvin

Hi Mike

I have some top irons that can be rebuilt not sure what year you need I live in colchester ct 860-234-9948cell

Do DBs have top irons and top sockets? I'm a little confused on this. The irons are the part that is a linkage on each side of the car. Are there separate sockets that go into these and then top bows? Can anyone post a photo of a socket (preferably for a 25).

those numbered pieces are the BRACKETS that clamp the top when it is lowered. They are attached to the L and R side of the body. The sockets are the tapered hollow tubes that receive the wooden bows. The "iron" I believe are the flat iron struts that connect to the sockets with the associated fittings. . John in CA can rebuild all the often rusted out sockets and replace any rivets. He does need a core as stated.

Yes it arrived today and will be going back out again tomm but that is not in your manual so dont feel bad, this is in one of mine. I just happen to run across it while looking for something else

If you dont mind Mike I am curious, do your hold-down look like these. I have some good/decent pictures of these hold-down around here somewhere.

Guest Canadian1925touring

Ah...that's what my car is missing...there is just a blank bolt in the body at the rear corners :(

Check on youtube under 1925 dodge touring in a day or two...I took a video of my top bows for you to see what goes where.

Don't know if this will help much. Saw these on a 1919 at The Iola Old Car Show this year. May help with knowing what the earlier ones looked like??? (And I bet the exact spot you are looking for is not visible on these photos! - That would be typical!)

post-67404-143138621942_thumb.jpg

post-67404-143138621959_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys. That's a nice looking '19 there. It's important to know what you're looking for doesn't look like too. The big giveaway on the early irons is where the 3 socket attaches to the 4th; very close to the pivot bolt. On the 25 it's more than 1/2 way up. These photos show the detail I was talking about.

post-74074-143138621974_thumb.jpg

post-74074-143138621977_thumb.jpg