Milling

jonlabree

Jon, I don't know about the milling question, deck thickness and such, but are you looking for more compression? My best guess would be to check the available internal lifter travel before it bottoms out? I don't know if feasible to shim the rockers up due to the design of mine but yours may be different? The reason I asked about compression is the possibility of changing pistons. Believe it or not, the Ford 3.8 was loosely based on the Buick design. The bore/stroke relationship is slightly different but standard bore Ford pistons should fit a slightly overbored Buick and are available with a smaller dish or flat top, compression height correct and the pin diameter is even correct for my LN3. I have considered building a dedicated E85 engine with much higher compression, maybe 12:1 or so, hence the investigation. Maybe useless info., but you can always discard. :D

Jon,

Check out ZZPerformance and then click on the Grand Prix link. They are in Wyoming, Michigan and come highly recommended. Apparently these guys have played with all sorts of performance modifications to the 3800. Given what you have already accomplished with your Reatta GS, I'm not positive that they can help but I'd bet a dollar on them!

I don't claim to know much about engines and was glad to see 2seater post. He has been working on his "special" 3800 for some time and may be the most knowledgeable person on this forum on the "insides" of the 3800

I have only used the GM headgaskets after I discovered the Fel Pros' had too large a bore diameter, which would cause a loss of compression. I never investigated further to see if a steel shim gasket (thinner) was available. I suspect Cometic, Victor Reinz et al. could make you a custom set. ZZP and maybe Dr.J's may have something as was suggested earlier.