29 Dodge coupe decklid

Guest marknkimberlys29

Guest marknkimberlys29

Thanks for the response. I will post up pics as soon as I can find the cord to connect my camera to pc! darn it Anyways, the 29 was already chopped and channeled when I aquired it, so Ill be doing a nostalgia hot rod theme to it. Im rebuilding a 354 hemi that I recently picked up, its the actual engine that was on a stand in my high school auto shop from 30 years ago! cool huh

Thanks for writing and Ill post pics soon

Mark

Sounds Good Mark and an interesting story about the engine! Show some pics!

dc-8dave is on the right track about the trunk lid. Because it's a rod you can be creative and get by with anything that looks good.(Or bad if it's a rat)

I myself am rodding a '26 Coupe but I also have an original '26 Sedan so they only like me half of the time! :D

Bill

Guest marknkimberlys29

Thanks Bill, I may post pics soon, although Dave may hunt me down..... As for you Dave, Where do I start. A horrid waste? are you for real? I dont know you from Adam, but in case you are uninformed, hot rodding is a part of our history. You can thank the brave men who fought for our country in WWII came home and needed a release. Alot of them found that release by hot rodding there otherwise mundane daily drivers. Now, dont take me wrong, I appreciate an original or restored stock vehicle as much as the next guy. I simply prefer to hot rod my classics. So contrary to what you may think, us hot rodders are helping to preserve history by bringing back life to some of these relics that may otherwise be left to sit in a field until they completely rust away. I can tell you that until I came up with my coupe, I wouldnt have thought twice about a 29 Dodge, now that I am building one, I will be creating awareness of a long since forgotten vehicle. You may have tons of cash, believe me Dave, if you wanted to restore my 29, you would have needed a boat load of cash.

Anyways, you go ahead and keep feeling that way, and Ill go ahead and build a bad ass coupe.

Best wishes to you Dave

You all knew that I would chime in here. I am with Mark. I know that some purists will take on an ambitious project, but most wont. The rodder supplys the purists with parts that they dont use.

Also, if you have a pattern to follow it takes no imagination. I dont want to ruffle any feathers here as I COMPLETELY understand an original car and would NEVER cut a restorable car.

However I find alot of satisfaction in figuring out how to build my own stuff.

You will find a whole lot more activities involving rods than originals as well.

Hey Mark, mines a 28 Victory model with a 392. Have fun with yours.

post-52542-143138596744_thumb.jpg

post-52542-14313859675_thumb.jpg

Guest marknkimberlys29

Thanks Jack! I agree, I also would not cut up a original car as rare as these. Mine was not much more than a chopped and channeled 5 window coupe, with no rear suspension and a Pete N Jakes frontend. Ill be running the 354 hemi blown with hilborn injection

Will post pics once progress starts

AACA as far as I know is dedicated to the restoration and preservation of original cars, this site, these forums and its members come here knowing that they share a basic idea. There are thousands of online sites dedicated to hot-rods. There are a handfull dedicated to preservation of original cars.

The majority of people here including myself dont really care so much about hot-rodding, if we want to see a hot rod all we have to do is go to the local car shows and they are lined up or go to a different web-site.

Deck-lids are hard to find, people search for years for these things because hot-rodders have used them all up on their garbage.

People dont realize that if they really want to show some imagination build a car original, most people wont though because its easier to open up a jegs catalouge than it is to wait 7 years to finally find a handfull of original carpet snaps and within that 7 years look into every possability of reproducing them and the work entailed with that seemingly simple task.

Not to be rude but I say keep your pict. I just dont care

Guest marknkimberlys29

Forgive me for ruffling your feathers, and for your info, there are not thousands of hot rod sites, especially ones dedicated to nostalgia hot rods. In fact if you take away the H.A.M.B. there are very few. Regardless I can appreciate your position.

Your right, deck lids are hard to find as Im sure carpet snaps are as well. Unlike you, I am not willing to wait 7 years to finish my project, so to alleviate any concerns you or Dave or any other purists on your forum about me trying to find a deck lid, I will make my own.

You know what sucks, is your point of view that hot rods are garbage. Hot rodders do more for the car industry as a whole than you know. And out of ALL the car guys I know, not ONE would say that your "original" cars are garbage. In fact everyone I know would admire and appreciate and original car. So take your frustration about not finding carpets snaps and direct it toward making your own, instead of directing towards hot rodders saying we are building garbage! Oh Im also far from rude, and IF I was to post a pic of my project, which now Im thinking why botherm but if I do, simply dont look at it! with that said, I DO care about your project and even Daves for that matter.....

Let me just say something here. If I remember correctly, I held onto a roadster body for a restorer that a HOT RODDER had sold him. Instead of cutting the rare body up to rod it, the rodder sold it to a guy who is going to restore it. We cannot generalize and group all hot rodders together as butchers and destroyers. We go through this same old argument ALL OF THE TIME. I have said it before and I will say it again...hot rodders sometimes supply us restorers with needed original parts...and usually for a lot less than an "old car guy" would sell it to us for. If a car has already been so altered as to not being able to restore it, then why not finish it? And most of all, why chastise a guy for trying to finish it. I may lose a friend or two here, but let's cut each other some slack.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I think the point is being missed, do what you want with the car, but this site isnt the place to be scouring for parts, I notice not one mention in the initial post of a hot rod. You came to the antique automobile site of America asking for help with parts, the title signifies to me that it is a site dedicated to antique automobiles, it dosent say antique hot-rods.

If you spent 5 minutes looking the site over you would see that we ( well some of us ) appreciate original cars. I will go out on a limb and say you knew this but dont care.

I do body and paint for a living, I dont care how chopped, channelled frenched whatever the car is it could still be restored back to original if you so choose, you choose not to, thats your decision but with that that decision you should understand that you have different tastes

than a person whom enjoys the original car so again dont expect to be welcomed with open arms.

Some of Daves post can be a little abrasive but I dont see anything wrong with the post above, it WOULD be a waste to see a good decklid go on the car you are building, your not in any way going for original so why not go to the home depot, buy a pipe bender, buy some electrical conduit and rivet some metal to the top of it, hell why rivet it, use some duct tape so it can be a rat/nostalgia rod.

See I have alot of imagination, I just gave you clear and concise plans for your decklid. Whew that took alot of effort and imagination on my part.

I have news for you, if you build the hot rod correctly ( if there is such a thing ) you will have many times more the amount of money into it than if you were to restore it originally but chances are you will get to a certain point in the project and money will run out and then we will all have another rat-rod to add to the stable.

I take offense to this.....there otherwise mundane daily drivers........there is nothing mundane about going down the road in an original slow car.

Evidently you have never done this, you have never seen the people smile, the thumbs up ( sometimes its a middle finger if we are holding up traffic )

I also see this as in your face sarcasm......Anyways, you go ahead and keep feeling that way, and Ill go ahead and build a bad ass coupe.

Best wishes to you Dave..........

You dont give a damn nor appreciate an original car, you dont know how, a puppet and jegs is pulling you and your buddys strings.

You dont appreciate my thoughts nor anyone elses thoughts on this site that appreciates original cars or you would not still be threatning to post pict. of the frankenstein that you are creating

Yes hot rodders supply us with parts in many cases, in most cases, BTW do you have any original carpet snaps, I could use some spares.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Guest marknkimberlys29

wow, I did touch a nerve. Im sorry. As for being out on a limb, you were wrong. I did not know that about your beloved site. I apologize for not taking the time to investigate it better so as not to upset you.

And you dont have news for me, I have built many cars of various styles. I own and drive an all original 57 T Bird, "E model" that I wont cut apart. I DO know what its like to get the thumbs up for driving an awesome car, never got the middle finger for driving too slow. This 29 Dodge I aquired is the oldest car I personally have done. You may think that it will be a "jegs" car when in truth it will not be. Try and find early hemi parts at jegs good luck.

You would not have to take offense to the mundane comment if it were not for the blatant attack on hot rods. I came to your site with, to me, good intentons. I am sorry if I didnt think of your feelings first or investigate your site. You are a body guy right? I agree any car can be restored to original. I dont know what your shop charges. I own a small chain of auto repair shops and I know what we charge. So yes, anything can be repaired but at what cost? I am not some punk ass kid like it appears you are inplying with the jegs/puppet comment. I have been in the automotive industry in one capacity or another for 25 years. I have the means to have Marcel make me a decklid, but up until I found your beloved site, I was enjoying the challenge of trying to find one. Imagination? do YOU use electrical conduit or duct tape on your cars? I dont even use rivets on my stuff, I mean really? you call that imagination?

Anyways, I can see that you and Dave both are way too personal about the subject, notice I said personal and not passionate. I could be passionate about something without bashing what someone else enjoys....Dont worry about me perusing your site, I wont be looking for any help and or parts from you, to the few cool guys that responded, thank you

quote........Dont worry about me perusing your site, I wont be looking for any help and or parts from you........sounds good ;)

I'm sorry they run you off Mark. It's too bad they don't have a section in the forums for the Dodge Brothers Street Rods. Nothing they said is a personal attack on YOU! They are mad at your Car!

I love rolling in the dirt with these guys because it gets their blood pressure up and keeps them youthful. They are PASSIONATE about their cars and love them more than their wives! I respect that.

Hang around a while and let the dust settle.

In closing I will tell you that I have been collecting Dodge Brothers parts since 1998 and my best source is EBAY under model A parts. Why? Because when there is an estate sale everyone thinks the only old car made was a Ford. I found a trunk lid for my 1926 Coupe last fall in the model A listing. It might work for you!

Bill

I am going to spend the day in my shop working on garbage. I dont have a Jegs catologue, I mostly use junk yard parts. Thanks for the advice Jason.

Bill says you love your Dodge more than your wife. Is that true? I dont have a wife.

I find it interesting the pecking order here. Espessially from a guy that wants to get along.

I think I will cut up some old tools that I have here and make carpet snaps out of em....

Then duct tape my deck lid together..

Silly Boyz !!

Quote.......Nothing they said is a personal attack on YOU! They are mad at your Car!........No Im pretty sure its him

Quote..........I love rolling in the dirt with these guys because it gets their blood pressure up and keeps them youthful.......;)

Quote.........Hang around a while and let the dust settle.........Cmon Bill, dont reel him back in!!!

Quote.......and my best source is EBAY under model A parts.......I never knew that thanks for the tip

Quote.......Thanks for the advice Jason......No problem glad I could help.

Quote.......Bill says you love your Dodge more than your wife. Is that true?.........Sometimes

Quote........I dont have a wife.......Im shocked :eek:

Quote.......I find it interesting the pecking order here. Espessially from a guy that wants to get along.........I have no idea what you mean here but if you could clarfy Im pretty sure I could have a pretty entertaining comeback.

Quote......... think I will cut up some old tools that I have here and make carpet snaps out of em.........Let me know how you make out with this and if they end up for sale

Quote.............Then duct tape my deck lid together.........There you go now your thinkin like a true rat rodder

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Guest marknkimberlys29

Too late, thanks Bill, consider me "reeled back in" Oh and I thought about it, ya know, it did kind of tickle me a lil bit thinking I may have raised someones blood pressure.....yeah, think I will hang around some more and roll around in the dirt as you say.....I like that. In fact, if it helps these guys feel youthful, then Im doing them a service, right? c,mon Jason,Dave....you guys feel youthful when we are bantering back and forth?

Guest marknkimberlys29

oh wow, I just re read Jasons post..... he really wasnt mad at my car Bill, he was mad at me! lol now I know I hit a nerve.... But hey maybe Ill find some rare part that he needs and then we can be friends! Kind of like when Doc Holiday sets his guns on the table and says, "there, now we can be friends" what do ya say J?

Guest marknkimberlys29

Awww thats the spirit! Just think, you may need something that I have or know where exists, and guess what....I would be cool and sell it to ya......for a fair price even thanks pal! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest marknkimberlys29

Hey Jason, do you know anyone who needs 29 Chrsyler coupe parts? I met a guy parting one out....

Guest Knucklebuster

I have to admit my blood pressure is up now, from laughing :)

This reminds me of my high school days sittin at the speed shop bench racing and the "no my ford is better than your dodge, well my chevy is faster than your ford,but my parts are cheaper, but I make more horsepower, no my big block does, but my mouse motor winds faster, no my wedge breathes better", hahahahahaha.

I have a '35 DB that I am dead set on keeping as close to 100% factory as humanly possible . I have a best friend with a '37 Ford pickup I helped him hot rod. I dont like the "ratrod" term but some of the ideas are cool. The Chip Foose wannabe's I walk past at the shows, its just too much. BUT... I think that not only can we all get along but like the aforementioned comment, we can help each other and appreciate each other without slicing tires and putting sand in the carb. YES it hurts to hear of a DB that has been taken from our ranks, but its still a DB isnt it? If you add a halogen bulb or modern elec. part etc... havent you taken a step down that road, even if just for safety's sake (or the complete lack of a NOR).

Its old and cheesy but, You catch more flies with honey than vinegar! What if this guy hung around a while and caught our "bug"? Decided to turn around the DB to a more pristine state? I know he doesnt sound like it but who knows, He could have said hmmm the DB is too hard to find parts for, I will scrap it and buy a fiberglass '34 coupe. Then we would all be missing out.

OK I will stop ramblin now, I love the classic's and the friends I have made here. I also just like seein old stuff go down the road no matter what becuase its still goin. I do hate one thing though with a passion. SB Chevy motors in old Fords and Dodges. Now THAT is blasphemy!!!!!!

Ok.....fight nice children!! :D I know I'm new to all of this but I figure for the hell of it, I'm going to just say this....

Aren't we all in one way or another perserving history by keeping these vehicles on the road? :eek: I know I'll probably upset some by this.....but I can respect wanting a car to stay all original. I also know that there are times when that just cannot be done. I can also respect someone wanting to make use of what they do have. It's all about a Labor of Love. Just everyone has different tastes. Anyone willing to put forth the time & effort to put a vehicle together has my respect regardless of what the end product is. It's still all about preserving....just in a different manner.

Now, I don't think the guy originally meant to disrespect anyone here. All's anyone needed to say was "I'm sorry, no, we don't have a decklid for you" and left it at that. :P Who knows, as said before, he may have something any one of us could use in the future! Why not make him an ally rather than a foe?

So Mark, if you ever come across some 29 Victory Six, I would love to hear from ya! ;)

Shannon