Marvel Mystery oil and gas

Phil, you must have been a Boy Scout. My capers come in a 64 oz. jar and my escapades, a full gallon jug.

I have heard a few times that MMO is relabeled ATF with a higher price tag. It sure looks the same and has the same properties, like freeing up frozen pistons,etc. Anyone heard this?

However, a quick look at some MSDS's show that ATF and MMO have some common features, but MMO has mineral spirits (a solvent-See threads on rubber rejuvenation) and some aromatic chemicals (chemicals with a benzene base -an industrial cleaner/solvent). Specifically MMO contains O-dichlorobenzene(used in softening and removing carbon-based contamination on metal surfaces) and p-dichlorobenzene (mothballs). MMO contains mostly something called "Naphthenic hydrocarbons " which is a non-specific way of satisfying an MSDS requirement but not giving up the true ingredients. The "secret squirrel" component, if you will. Other products with this type of designation are used in the machine shop as lubricants, coolants and cutting oils. MMO has a much lower flash point than ATF most likely due to the mineral spirits.

Phil, you must have been a Boy Scout. My capers come in a 64 oz. jar and my escapades, a full gallon jug.

I WAS a Scout...but, my troop was rife with capricious escapaders, I can assure you!

I'm a skeptical guy, so I'll ask...does anyone have the results of ANY scientific studies on the efficacy of MMO, past or present? Does it hurt? Does it help? Is it hype (like Listerine)? Was there legitimacy to adding top oilers?

How could it be ATF? Doesn't it predate fluid trannies? (If it is the same stuff, maybe ATF should be called repackaged MMO?)

Just seems that adding something to fuel and oil makes us feel like we are doing a little somthing extra for the old girl..

Yup! Just returned from the station where I put 7 gallons in the tank after a long Sunday drive in the country. I also filled the caper bottle 3/4 of the way with red MMO and popped it in with a self-satisfied smile.

My Friend and master mechanic Dan Kerr, swears on MMO. and I have have used it in my cars for about 7 years. On his advice. The idea is that it helps lube the fuel system, and the uper cylinders from getting varnish buildup. I use it at every fillup but it's good enough to run it thru before you put the car to bed for the winter. They sell it in big jugs and smaller ones at WalMart , Mark

A note on what is in Marvel Mystery oil....p 79 of August 2011 Hemmings Motor news - a reference to some analysis of MMO states that some of the contents of MMO are pig fat, perfume and red food coloring in a base of petroleum solvent. Maybe that's the short version for what idrjoe_sandiego said in the earlier post.

Larry

One site reported: 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard.

Stoddard solvent, also known as white spirit, is a paraffin derived clear, transparent liquid which is a common organic solvent used in painting and decorating.

I have an oinkling that lard is your pig fat, Larry.