1941 Chrysler Fluid Drive

I have a M4 transmission in my 1941 Chrysler, I have rebuilt most of the mechanics and now I am trying to adjust the shifting. I can't get the trans to shift up. I was hoping someone could tell me the exact operation sequence for troubleshooting the workings. The vacuum is working, the solenoid is working, the govenor checks out, but still no up shift. Any advise would help. Also would anyone know of a mechanic on the west coast that might be able to look at the transmission, all of the help i can find is on the east coast, if you know of a mechainc near Los Angeles, CA. could you direct me to them, Thanks for the help

I am more familiar with the post war variations of the Chrysler semi-automatic transmission, but the concepts and basic design are shared with the pre-war original. I believe that the primary difference is that the prewar design shifts via vacuum device while the postwar design uses an hydraullic device to perform the shift action.

When owners complain about lack of upshift, the problem is almost always improper idle speed. If the idle speed is set too high, the transmission cannot synchronize. The idle speed for your 1941 Chrysler is probably 425rpm.

You can also find very helpful repair advice in the form of period service literature generously scanned and posted by the good people at the Imperial Mailing List. Please follow these two links:

Diagnosing the Hydraulically Operated Transmission:

1948 Imperial and Chrysler DiagnoseThe Fluid Drive Transmission Session 12.1 from the Master Technician's Service Conference

Troubleshooting in the Hydraulically Operated Transmission

1949 Imperial and Chrysler Repair Of Hydraulically Operated Transmissions Session 24 from the Master Technician's Service Conference

Good Luck,

Dave Duricy

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate all the knowledge and help I can get in trying to troubleshoot the fluid drive transmission on my 1941 Chrysler, now that I have the mechanics working properly, I need to figure out the transmission wiring, with the transmission being first year M4 vacumatic type the kickdown switches/relays/solenoids operates from different sources than the later years, I am trying to figure out the upshifting circuts, I have a schematic drawing, and I would like to know exactly where and how these conponets fit into the circuts ?, and possible the part numbers of these relays/switches/solenoids needed to complete the transmission renovation?

• 6 months later...

My mechanic has given up, Doesn't anyone have a 1941 Chrysler/Royal/Windsor/Desoto 6 cylinder with fluid drive that I can get a picture of the electrics for the shifting of the trans, all the electric have been removed and I need to know where the componets a placed for the signal to the solenoid for the up shift, this is a solid car that needs to be driven. Please help me get it on the road. Thanks

You should join the WPC club and find a new 41 Chrysler friend and go see his car. When I was just starting out 40 years ago there was no internet and the thought of in a week getting all the parts and info to fix/restore a car.

I had to spend gas money, sweat and tears almost to find parts, find someone who knew about the T&C's ect.

Patience my friend. You will find your info. Keep lookin!

I do belong to the WPC, I have had a better responds fron AACA, I need to see a car in Southern California. This not my first restoration, I remember having to wear out shoe leather and travel to other ststes to find parts for My 1931 Model A, 1940 Chevy Delux, 1957 Chevy 3100, I just wanted to find something different, and I have. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Guest geeter40

We're working on one now. Maybe it's your vehicle? On this one, the wiring was all screwed up, someone installed an alternator and had part of the vehicle using 12 volts and part using 6 volts. They had the solenoid running on 6 volts with very heavy wire, maybe 8 gauge. After running a new wire with 12 volts, the solenoid would work. It wouldn't work they way it was.

Guest jasndal

My '41 Windsor with the Vacamatic would not shift from 1st to 2nd, or from 3rd to 4th, and we initially thought it was the vacuum system diaphragm. Not so, since my mechanic found a bad vacuum connection and after correcting it, the mechanism would move back and forth properly. However, it didn't actually effect a gear change and there was a lot of noise coming from the tranny, which was trying to make the shift. After the mechanic tore it down, we found a part that the Chrysler Shop Manual identifies as the "Synchronizer Clutch Blocker Spring," which was broken in half. The failure of that part to move in and out, due to the broken spring, appears to be the cause of the failure to shift in either range.

Anybody have any ideas? Does this sound logical?

Any ideas where to locate that part? The MOPAR part number is 864016 and I'm having a deuce of a time locating one.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jasndal

I'm still looking. Several sources have said that they think they have one and will search their stock and get back to me, but have not. I don't know if they don't have it, or are just too busy to call back.

I'm starting to think I may have to locate another transmission. Does anyone have any leads on a '41 Vacamatic transmission? I don't need the vacuum control system; only the tranny.

Or, an interchange manual that I recently consulted indicates that a tranny from a '46, '47 or '48 would interchange. I don't know if I would need to buy whatever control unit they used, or if my present, vacuum system would fit and work. Any ideas?

Edited by jasndal (see edit history)

Postwar transmissions are all electric no vacuum. If the transmission will interchange, the controls can be added to your car. You will need a different carburetor with 2 built in electric switches. A resistor and circuit breaker which come in a little tin box. And some wiring.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jasndal

One of the sources I had tried, unsuccessfully, eventually received one of the broken transmission parts that appears to cause my tranny shifting malfunction and, today, I got to them first and ordered it. Hopefully that will solve my problem. Now, if the USPS just doesn't lose it.

Edited by jasndal (see edit history)