Another one followed me home

padgett

Why I need the TranSport. Picked up the dolly about a year ago - brakes, steering, just not pretty. 3800 provides plenty of power, dual a/c, and temp gauge never gets over 1/4 (abt 185F). Just need to be gentle.

BTW little 2,000 lb HF winch didn't even seem to be straining pulling ded car up ramp and onto dolly.

post-31022-143138581873_thumb.jpg

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

Guest tzartler

A friend of mine has a transport. They featured him in an article a while back. I rode in it too and the thing has about 200k miles on it.

I would have been really impressed if you towed it back with your Vixen. ;) I am about to weld a hitch in mine to tow a small trailer.

See ya at VOA :)

I have a second bedroom for mine but it only weighs 440 lbs (teardrop designed for motorcycles). Between the 2.4 liter engine and the not-that-big clutch, the TranSport is a much better tow vehicle. Besides, with the TS I can see the dolly tires in the side mirrors. The Vixen is over a foot wider.

Guest Richard D

Padgett, What does that make , SIX? At one time! And I thought I needed professional help. It's true, there is no cure.

What is worse, I really prefer the CRT and only have one of those. The blue has seen me through some really bad periods and the triple blue is a knockout now.

OTOH I decided to pass on the Allante and this came along. It is very needy but the structure is really nicer than the white/blue was when I got it (and paid a lot more - but then have had the use of it for several years. It is more of a "nice driver" that I do not mind taking to a show

Then the black/gray arrived which had been central Florida all its life but everything is fixed now and just needs external cosmetics which I am not good at. Been back and forth about it since Black really doesn't fit.

And my Judge is white/red so it and this one will make a matched pair, one for each foot.

No, that one had 145k which to me is A Lot. This one was 17 miles from my house and was considerably less expensive. Of course it is quite needy but all mechanicals which I have. With both whites in the front garage you can really see the difference between code 40 (too much yellow) and code 10 (almost pure white).

Hey Padgett,

How about leaving a few for the rest of us hopelessly addicted Reatta junkies? These cars are supposed to have good cornering characteristics, but I didn't see anything in the marketing brochure about cornering the market!

Just joking. Congrats on a nice looking addition to the fleet. At what number does the fleet become a herd? Or perhaps an armada, to keep with the Spanish theme started by the name "Reatta".

KDirk

Well considering that I have about one tenth of one percent of the total production I suspect there are a few left.

Silly part was that always tried to avoid having more than one of the same car - same drivetrain is OK but multiple body styles. OTOH I keep coming across these rust-free cars...

[rant]

A number of years ago, U-Haul wouldn't rent a car trailer to me with my 2000 GMC 1500 with 5.3l all set up for towing. The reason I was given is that my truck wasn't heavy enough - apparently some jurisdictions have set up that you can only tow 25% more weight than your tow vehicle weighs and my truck was 300 lbs too light. On further inquiry, the reasoning is that since it is illegal in some jurisdictions, U-Haul made it a policy across the board even though I would be in no such jurisdictions. The truck was rated to tow either 7700 or 8700 lbs, I forget which. I wanted to tow a '56 Special, which had a shipping weight of just under 3800 lbs. Of course, the weight of the trailer is on top of that. They cost me fuel as a result since I rented a local trailer and drove it empty to get the car.

Now, we had '99 and 2002 Montanas. I'm pretty sure the towing capacity on them was 3500 lbs, which is the weight of a Reatta coupe without a tow dolly. Seeing as a minivan is not made for towing this weight, much less stopping it safely, I would suggest this was an irresponsible move. These stupid rules get imposed because people insist on towing with vehicles not properly set up for it or simply exceed the capacity, then cause collisions because they can't stop.

That is the reasoning that I now have a GMC K2500 with Duramax diesel.

[/rant]

Had no problem with braking, the dolly has its own - when you stop there is a hydraulic thingie in the hitch that applies the brakes depending on how much force there is on the hitch. It also has steering. I replaced the whole system shortly after I bought it.

When I hauled my Corvette around, the tandem trailer had its own electric brakes. Sure you avoid tailgating and excessive speed but should be carful with any rig.

BTW, I can lift either wheel on the dolly off the ground so does not weigh that much. I do not understand the issue.

I'm glad to hear it all worked out for you. The dolly is likely required to have brakes - trailers require brakes when they are 2000 lbs, so with a car on it is required.

Ultimately, the issue is more about insurance than anything else. I could be wrong, but I would bet your TranSport is rated for 3500 lb maximum towing. The shipping weight on a 1990 convertible is 3570 lbs and the dolly would add probably 1-200 lbs minimum. While the TranSport may handle it, if you were in a collision, particularly if it was due to not being able to brake quickly enough (i.e. rear end), then your insurance would be void if you were towing over the capacity of the tow vehicle.

I understand that you didn't go far and didn't encounter any issues, and were probably very careful. It is situations like these that can lead to needless collisions, which then cause legislators to panic and figure they need to protect us from ourselves and impose further regulations on us. GM has always been conservative in rating the towing capacity of vehicles in terms of what they are actually capable of (of course, Transport Canada and the American equivalent are involved too), so issues are unlikely if you are just over capacity, but it is possible to suffer fines or be without insurance if anything should occur.

I certainly intended no offense in my comments. It is just a frustration / pet peeve of mind that people think because you can get a tow hitch for a Camry that it is an appropriate tow vehicle....

Guest Telco

Seeing as I'm kinda participating here while waiting on my Reatta to sell... on another board a trucker buddy mentioned that he was starting to see the Highway Patrols in different states start to pull over private vehicles pulling campers and checking to see if they are within the tow rig's legal tow rating. If they aren't, it can be up to 5000 dollars in fines. They are cracking down on things like 5th wheels now, but it's not going to take them long to start looking at oddballs like minivans towing cars. Word to the wise...

States are hurting for revenue so possible. OTOH GM underrated the minivan primarily for transmission limitations. I allo "drive gentle" and 10-15 mph slower with a toad than bare and avoid getting close to anyone. You just need to drive a rig differently than a car.

Nice part about the TranSport is the 25 mpg on the Interstate when not towing.

Guest Telco

It won't matter if GM underrated the van, they will use the van's rating as the target number. If you're pulling more than the van is rated, they will write the ticket. What might make you a target is being a minivan towing a trailer with a car on it, this is not a common sight.

Not trying to ding you for this, but I'd rather you hear it from me for free than have to pay a state trooper 5 grand to learn about it.

NP - is there any common listing of vehicle tow ratings or do they just look on the hitch ? Would also like to see the disclaimers on the rating.

Lessee title weight on 90 'vert is 3491 and dolly is 200 = 3691 lbs or ~6% over. Now if I was pulling a Vixen, it would be obvious but guess a Fiero (backwards) is OK.

Is interesting that the 3.1/3T40 is rated the same as the 3800/4T60. My TS does have the trailer towing package which includes wiring, reenforcements, and air lifts.

Guest Telco

It should be on the door jamb as to what the ratings are, and the ratings are defined in the owner's manual. The vehicle tow rating is not determined by the engine, it's determined by the engine power, braking power and vehicle weight. The way the cops will determine this is to look on your label to get the tow limit for the vehicle, then have you pull the trailer on scales. It won't matter what the towed vehicle's plate shows, they will go by actual weight pulled. Right now they are going after full size trucks towing 5th wheels, but it won't take them long to start checking anyone towing once they see the increase in fines they can collect.

Door sticker has GVW, but not GCVW.

Methinks a patrol officer would have a tough time determining the capabilities of any given tow vehicle vs load, unless the mismatch was 'obvious'. Any given vehicle model can vary considerably based on options mix. Also note that tow ratings are based on an unoptioned vehicle with a 150 lb driver. Add lots of options, spouse, kids, luggage, pets, coolers, tools, etc and the tow rating drops accordingly.

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)

Add in the fact that Pontiac rated it differently whether or not you had the "Trailer Towing Package (requires 3800 engine)" and mix by every vehicle that is different.

Agree, they are probably going after the obvious ones but all the advts I see on TV are talking about these incredible load carrying/towing capabilities for pickups so wonder what they are looking for ? Lucy and her rocks ?

Guest Telco

The truck driver said the ones they are starting with are the reg cab trucks with those oversized camper trailers. But, if they make money at it, they'll expand what they look at. What's more, these laws are already in place so it's not like they have to change the laws. They have just been enforcing them on tractor trailers because they are the ones who will actually damage the roadways for being overweight, which was the main reason for passing the weight limit laws to begin with. The whole pulling over private vehicles is a revenue generator for them.

On determining whether or not a vehicle is overweight, this is not hard for the cops to do. The Highway Patrol has people specifically for this. They usually drive SUVs, and they carry portable drive on wheel scales with them. They set the scales in front of the trailer wheels then have you pull the trailer onto the scale. If your driver door plate does not have a towing capacity on it, then it's not rated to tow.

But, as I said, I'm just throwing this out there. It's up to anyone here if they want to make sure they are towing legally or not. Just don't be surprised if you get pulled over one day and asked about what you're pulling.

Edited by Telco (see edit history)