Car bag or bubble?

impala

I see that neither one is recommended for outdoor use.

That's correct. I should have mentioned that it would be indoor use only.

Concerning the inflatable bubble I'm wondering about the difficulty and possibly scuffing the paint when dragging the heavy 10 mil plastic over the car body.

impala

Guest bofusmosby

I would guess that something like this would be lined, byt maybe not. Also, I am sure that a lot would be depended on if there were any contaminates on either the car, or in the bag.

I have been using the Car Capsule for several years and I like it for my situation and have recommended it to others.

Just to outline, the "bubble" is essentially two parts, a heavy black plastic floor and a clear plastic bubble. You lay out the black floor and drive the car onto it, then you place the clear plastic upper over the car, rolling it on like a car cover. You then zip the two together at floor level and plug in the fan, which is built into one end and plugs into a regular wall outlet. The bubble will inflate to full size in 10-15 minutes and indeed looks like a giant plastic pod capsule, in my case roughly 8ft wide, 7ft high and 20 feet long, various sizes are available.

The primary claims for the capsule are that it serves as protection against dents and scratches, dust, mice, and moisture, all of which are a storage concern for me. It will not prevent dust entirely but it certainly helps, the fan has a small washable foam filter around it's opening. It will also not prevent moisture but will help reduce it, it is said to completely recirculate the air in the bubble 4 times an hour. If it is torn the tear can be securely mended with packing tape. Cost is $350-$400 or so, I have had mine for over six years and have liked it very much. The downside is that on mine the power transformer was the cheapest possible and had to be replaced (easy at Radio Shack) as did the zipper pulls (after a few years). But the fan, which is the constant moving part, has been no problem.

The question is posed about scratching paint by dragging the large plastic cover over the car and it is certainly possible (the zipper's teeth are plastic, by the way, the metal pulls are on the bottom half and never come near the car). If you are in long term storage this is little worry IMO, if you are removing the car often it could scratch, but one could always use an inexpensive cotton car cover so the plastic would not actually touch the car.

If anyone is thinking about one of these I will answer any questions, Todd C.

PS--electricity use is minimal, probably $4-$5 a month at most

Thanks for the great feedback Todd.

The car will probably be used quite frequently in the summer months. I think the benefit of the bubble would be to have the car visible so in my mind putting a cover on would defeat that feature.

I'm still not totally discounting it but would like to hear more and especially from someone who might be using a bag like this one:

CCCC - Anti-Rust Car Storage Bag

Thanks,

impala

The car will probably be used quite frequently in the summer months.

I think the benefit of the bubble would be to have the car visible so in my mind putting a cover on would defeat that feature.

That is right, having the car visible is a key benefit and I have almost always had my car uncovered. In fact I have enjoyed showing visitors the "car in the plastic bubble" looking for all the world like a giant model in a display case.

Obviously any of these sealed containers are mostly used for longer storage, but I would say that they are still suitable unless you are using the car more than, say, once a week. As far as removing the car from the capsule, if you unzip the bubble it deflates instantly and settles on top of the car (lower or remove your antenna). I then roll it up as much as possible rather than sliding it, to try to avoid abrasion, and I occasionally dust the outside of the bubble with an old car duster (dust is settling on it while sitting, of course). I have also washed it a few times.

The only other possible drawback is if you have a regular garage, remember the inflated bubble takes up more space than the car itself, an extra foot or two on each side. So adjust your space needs accordingly. Good luck, Todd C

i use this type during winter storage in my barn, they work great. cant see it be used except for seasonal storage.

Thanks for the great feedback Todd.

The car will probably be used quite frequently in the summer months. I think the benefit of the bubble would be to have the car visible so in my mind putting a cover on would defeat that feature.

I'm still not totally discounting it but would like to hear more and especially from someone who might be using a bag like this one:

Thanks,

impala

• 2 years later...
Guest Woodiecarnut

I have used several of these car bubbles / car capsules and they work quite well and the only drawback is it is inconvenient to get your car in and out of the standard car capsule plus you have to drag to cover on and off your car each time you want to use it.

They now have capsules that hava frame inside the car capsule which keeps the car capsule erected and allows you to drive in and out thereby eliminating the inconvenience of uncovering and recovering your car and it also prevents dragging the other type cover over your car before you inflate it.

I would definitely spend the extra money and bu the one that has the frame inside the capsule as it is much more convenient to use. Good luck

Does anyone use either a car storage bag or inflatable bubble for car storage?

Here are the links to both systems I'm referring to:

CarCapsule CarCapsule Indoor Storage Capsule - JCWhitney

I'm looking for pros and cons of either system.

Thanks,

impala

i

I been using "Car Jackets" (carbag.com) for over 20 yrs now and there the best thing I ever come across. I use the zipper

bags and put the white pellets in (from camping world) to draw the moisture out. My building is non heated and the cars look

just the same as when you put them in. No surface rust at all. Only drawback is bags are not cheap. ($280) but can be used

over and over again if you are carful but must have flat cement floor. IMHO--Larry