sticking brake... ideas?

Guest snowmaninwhite

Guest snowmaninwhite

not too long ago i got some new shoes for the front drums of my car, which is a 1960 Chrysler Windsor, and now if i let the car sit for more than a few days without moving it, the front drivers side has a tendency of locking up on me when i move forward, but as soon as i start to reverse itll brake normally. i have to back up and go forward a few times before the brake stops locking up on me. it never did this to me before i installed the new shoes. does anyone here have any suggestions on what might be a possible issue?

Guest martylum

Snow-it might point to an improper installation of the new shoes or it might also be coincidence that the LHF brake hose has delaminated inside and is acting intermittently as a 1 way valve. Have you replaced the hoses in the last 10 years?

Martin Lum

Wheel cylinders ok?, maybe the wheel cylinder pistons are pushed deeper into the into the sludgy area and sticking now with the thicker lined shoes? Did you turn the( 2) 7/16" adjusting bolts on each backing plate in the proper direction for the fronts- As per the shop manual instructions. The return springs-4 coil and 5 coil - are they put on as per the shop manual?

Shop manuals have a lot of accurate info!

Lastly center plane brakes are touchy and maybe the shoes need to be arched to fit the drums. Other than these items you should be good to go!

Bob

Guest snowmaninwhite

I have a book from 1962 that goes back to 55 I think, and I followed what was instructed, and they Are adjusted fine. If I let my car sit for more than three days, that's when the brake will stick, but when I drive it every other day or so, I have absolutely no troubles with the brakes system at all... as for replacing the hoses, no... this car still has the original brake lines under the car.

You could try to drive the problem out a couple thousand miles or so if there is nothing else you think needs or can be done- though won't find the problem. Are all the drums the same size/oversize?

Yea, maybe back off the shoes on the LF. Otherwise take the LF all the way apart and re-check your work to really find out why it pulls after sitting a couple days..

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

Guest snowmaninwhite

ive been driving as much as i can, i dont know about the drum size as ive only had the front ones off, and the seem to be the same, ive had the LF drum off the first time it happened and everything was how it was supposed to be, and it doesnt pull, when im leaving my driveway, and just tap on the brakes, the LF will lock up and wont let me go forward, only backward. this issue has me puzzled

Sounds to me like and "arcing" problem like I had on my 300F couple of years back. I had to take a body file to the center of the shoes to "fit" them more evenly to the drum. I'd bet if you fit your shoes to the drum as they are now, you will probably find they rock in the drum indicating the drum is worn or has been turned, possibly beyong spec, requiring arcing the shoes to fit the drum.

They are "wrapping up into the drum" when you apply the brakes going forward, and sticking.

Do yourself, your passengers and everyone on the road around you a huge favor and get those "original", now 50 plus year old hoses, replaced ASAP

It may just solve your problem.

JMHO

Dave Schwandt

I had this problem with our 51 Plymouth the right front would lock up when stopping and you would come to a screeching halt. Replaced the wheel cylinders, they were leaking brake fluid onto the shoes. It was very embarrassing coming to a tire squealing stop at every stop sign.

jay