Reatta as a Back Up Vehicle

Guest BJM

I may be in the market for a back up vehicle and thought of a Reatta. I am getting out of the old car hobby for domestic reasons but both my wife and I have higher mileage daily drivers.

The money I get from the sale of 5 cars, parts, tools, etc may be used to purchase a Reatta.

What I am looking for is a reliable starter. I can't expect perfection but would like to know vehicle history so I can see what might be coming and maybe address it sooner rather then later.

It should be, in the potential sellers opinion, a car that has many or all of the bugs worked out related to starting and driving. It would do no good to send one of our cars into the shop, go to start the Reatta and find it unresponsive.

I suspect the Reatta would get only 2,000 or so miles a year on it in relief of our drivers.

email is abc.moran@netzero.net I will monitor the ads here as well. Thanks

Yes. Thanks. I will only be able to offer what I get as seed money. I am a bad generous buyer and a poor seller. Right now I am getting about 50 cents on the dollar for what I bought my cars, tools or parts.

Guest ReattaGirl

My husband and I are interested in selling our 89 Reatta white/burgundy w/sunroof. It just turned 8,018 miles this past weekend. Needless to say, it is in MINT condition!

We are going to drive it to the Nationals next month from the Pittsburgh area. It is just too costly to tow, when you have to rent a truck and a trailer.

Let me know if you'd like more information.

Edited by ReattaGirl (see edit history)

I may be in the market for a back up vehicle and thought of a Reatta. I am getting out of the old car hobby for domestic reasons but both my wife and I have higher mileage daily drivers.

The money I get from the sale of 5 cars, parts, tools, etc may be used to purchase a Reatta.

What I am looking for is a reliable starter. I can't expect perfection but would like to know vehicle history so I can see what might be coming and maybe address it sooner rather then later.

It should be, in the potential sellers opinion, a car that has many or all of the bugs worked out related to starting and driving. It would do no good to send one of our cars into the shop, go to start the Reatta and find it unresponsive.

I suspect the Reatta would get only 2,000 or so miles a year on it in relief of our drivers.

email is abc.moran@netzero.net I will monitor the ads here as well. Thanks

I don't know what you are wanting to spend but there are quite a few Reatta's listed in the classified ad section of my website that are less than $2000. I know nothing about the cars or the sellers. I offer classified ads on my website as free service to Reatta owners.

Reatta Cars For Sale*-*ReattaOwner.com

Jake - one thing to keep in mind is that computerized cars tend to have some electrical draw all the time. So, you'd want to be careful of infrequent use...a good battery and running it more regularly may be a good idea.

From what I've heard though, you may just decide to use it more than you are thinking. Ours should be on the road soon and Suzanne is really looking forward to it...I'm not looking forward to asking to borrow the car....

I have been using my two Reattas as daily drivers for the last 2 1/2 years. They have served me well. The Red is my summer 6 month car and my Black the winter car. I have never gotten the other out of storage as a substitute for the other for repairs.

However, what I did when I purchased them, was to have my mechanic friend go over them. We replaced all the hoses, the serpentine belt, and pulley, and any gasket that was practical to change. We also flushed the fluids, brake, power steering, radiator. On the Red I also did the struts and strut mounts as well as pads/rotors all the way around, the Black struts and brakes were done by the PO just prior to my purchase.

In the 5 years combined ownership of these two cars I have logged over 100,000 miles [70,000 miles on the Red alone] and feel confident to drive either car anywhere in the country. Not bad for 22 year old cars. My total investment [purchase and repair maintenance for both cars] is less then $10,000.00. This also includes money spent for the repaint, sunroof and new carpeting for the Red.

I think if done right these cars can still be primary drivers. With your mechanical ability, you may want to consider that as well.

Also the key for me was building a backup inventory of parts. No down time...

Edited by DAVES89
addditional information (see edit history)

Have to agree with Dave's points above. Both mine are semi-daily drivers (I don't drive them both every day, but both get regular use) and I have no hesitation to drive either of them a long ways. I bought my 88 sight unseen (except for pictures and the previous owners description) and drove it home 570 miles and had no problems.

Granted, it was a low mileage car, only 36,000 on it at time of purchase. Has a bit over 37K now. Since I have worked out some kinks with the engine that was causing it to run rough, it is a true pleasure to drive. May even be smoother than my 91, but that one has 103K on it, and I think the present tires cause it to ride just a little rough.

I would think you could get a very nice one with 70-80K miles on it easily for under $4000 based on current offerings I see around. Of course, you have to look around, and it may take time to find the right deal. My first (the 91) took a 9 month search. The 88, not quite so long but had to arrange a road trip to pick up. Price will depend on year, color, options, location and how much work it has already received to keep it fresh. And, of course, how motivated the seller is. If you don't mind working on cars, these are not difficult to maintain. At least no more so than most of it's contemporaries of the late 80's. This is one of the keys to keeping the cost of ownership down, but then that is true of any car.

If you plan to limit the mileage to 2000 per year, with long stretches of non-use, you may want to keep a float charger on the battery. A month of sitting without being run is probably enough to leave a battery in these cars low, possibly to the point of not wanting to crank. A couple of weeks is probably OK though, as long as you have a good battery. I very much recommend Optima batteries. Expensive, but have served me very well over 4 cars in the past 12 years.

KDirk

My husband and I are interested in selling our 89 Reatta white/burgundy w/sunroof. It just turned 8,018 miles this past weekend. Needless to say, it is in MINT condition!

We are going to drive it to the Nationals next month from the Pittsburgh area. It is just too costly to tow, when you have to rent a truck and a trailer.

Let me know if you'd like more information.

I think your asking price would be higher then my budget, but it sounds like a great car.

I don't know what you are wanting to spend but there are quite a few Reatta's listed in the classified ad section of my website that are less than $2000. I know nothing about the cars or the sellers. I offer classified ads on my website as free service to Reatta owners.

Reatta Cars For Sale*-*ReattaOwner.com

Ronnie,

Thanks. I checked it out and sent emails on the one in NJ (red/tan) and the one in Miami. The only problem is I could not tell how old the ads were so not sure if the cars are sold.

As for the computer cars, most of mine are. All of the cars not driven daily are kept on little 50ma "float" chargers. Since a quiet computer only draws around 20 ma this is pleanty. My batteries last for about double the warrenty period..

Ronnie

Unfortunately, I have received no response on the Buy/Sell contacts. I like red Reattas. I love Claret with tan or Red with tan interiors.

Right now I am going to look at a 95 Riviera with 123,000 miles for $2000 on Tuesday.

I have about $2000 for this now. I could sell another car or so to raise another $1000 but feel like my budget is $1000 to $2000ish.

Ronnie's website has a for sale Reatta a 1990 in Miami Florida with 78,000 miles that the owner Leonardo sent some "fair" photos of.

He says it needs some body pieces or work. Do we have any Reatta fans in Miami or vicinity that could give an in person opinion of the car?

If it is missing some trim I should be able to buy that off someone on this forum. 78,000 miles? I should be able to drive it home.

Hhhmmm, that's the car all right. I did not know about the instrument panel. (Assume that's what IPC means) Not sure to believe the 78,000 miles then.

That's a tough one. I think I will pass. Body? If the dents are fillable then I would fill them, sand the whole thing down and paint it Claret but then why not buy a Claret to begin with.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kellyelkins

IF you are still interested I have a 1989 Buick Reatta for sale. Maroon in color, automatic, all power, leather interior, sunroof, 6 cylinder, new tires. NO digital camera to take a photo with just yet, but if interested give me a call at 931-268-2187 and ask for Harlon. Asking price is 3,000.

Guest kellyelkins

I am placing this ad for someone else, as I'm not the owner. I"m wanting to say it's a tan interior, but not sure. and as far as the mileage I think he said a little over 100,000. The vehicle is located in Gainesboro, Tenn. About 70 miles from Nashville, Tenn. Here is the phone number to the owner of the car. 931- 268- 2187. Ask for harlon.