Cleaning a Radiator

broker-len

looking for unconventional advise for cleaning my hony comb radiator with out pulling had sugestion from a PA member to use the stuff for cleaning water building up in bath tubs also using citric acid some one else mentioned kerosine -------PLEASE HELP-----doint want to take it out and it over heats when it get hot new thrmo and engine rebuild also checked the timing--------------- bobnroman@yahoo.com

Guest rsd9699

Check your gage for accuracy. With the right cap on it and it does not boil over, it is likely okay.

Ron

The old-time classic was DuPont's heavy duty radiator cleaner, a two-part package with oxalic acid (which can chelate iron oxides), followed by rinsing and a sodium bicarbonate neutralizer. You can still buy these ingredients, oxalic from most hardware stores and bicarb from the supermarket. About 2 cups of oxalic acid into a radiator (with water, no antifreeze), drive around for an hour or two, then drain, flush a couple of times with water, and then use the neutralizer - perhaps 1/4 cup or so in an average 20-25 quart cooling system. If the coolant that is drained is dark brown like tea or coffee, it's working and perhaps a 2nd treatment might be tried. Citric acid would have a similar effect as oxalic - but forget the kerosene.

A while back I saw an Australian web site that explained how to clean your radiator with car exhaust. You just connect the rad hose to a car exhaust pipe and it blasts the dirt and scale out.

There was even a picture of a flathead Ford V8 set up behind a garage specifically for this job.

Guest rsd9699

I agree on NOT using the kerosene. It is a light oil that will NOT dissolve anything with rust.

On the exhaust, I can see that as it offers high volume "air" flow and with water injected into the "air" flow to keep the exhaust heat from melting the solder joints - it could be used to reverse flush a clogged radiator. But a stubborn clog could burst a tube or simply diverts the "air" to the open tubes and leave you with a still clogged radiator.

I would try the "dupont" method. Old number 7 was the best cleaner around but not for ALUMINUM parts.

Vatting and a reseal are likely your best long term solution.

Ron

I have heard of Caustic soda (Sodium hydroxide or Lye) being used to clean out radiators but you would want to be pretty carefull. Goggles and rubber gloves long sleeve shirt as a minimum.

Caustic will break down any lime deposits, dirt and oil fairly quickly.

I believe some radiator shops used to, or still do, use this in a bath to clean out old cores.

Guest WEB 38

I have heard of some using a house hold product called CLR has any one have any experience with this? Bill WEB 38

I have a friend who swears by white vinegar for cleaning out a not fully clogged radiator. He drains all the water and refills with vinegar and runs it around for a while and drains it out while hot. Then I would flush well, maybe twice.

This is all good info here as I think I may try to clean the '13 Stude out soon. It looked pretty bad inside when I was winterizing it last fall. I would also like to not remove the rad if I can help it.

My uncle used CLR to clean the cooling system on a 51 Ford V8. He put in a couple of bottles, filled up with water and drove around for a few days. Then drained flushed and refilled the cooling system. He said it cleaned out a lot of dirt, rust and scale and cured an overheating problem.