1984 Riviera Roadster???

Guest HEZXLNT

Guest HEZXLNT

Hey guys,

Just purchased a project. Its an 1984 Buick Riviera roadster/ convertible...It does not have a top frame. There was a soft top on this vehicle but somehow its disappeared too. The badge on the trunk says "roadster". I need a top for this car and I want to know what company did this conversion. If it was ASC, how would I find that out? The original seats were removed by the previous owner. I heard the build sheet was under the seat. Will the VIN number tell me anything? Well, I have a few detailed pics if you're interested I can email them to you. Any help is appreciated

Thanks

ASC did make those conversions. The rear seat is unique to the convertibles as are the rear inner quarter upholstery panels - They house the rear speakers.

As a bunch of "tire kickers" here, we'd all appreciate seeing some pictures. . Pictures are always a good way for us to help identify what's "missing in this picture." The word "roadster" was never used on a production convertible.

Is the SPID sticker still on the inside of the trunk lid? If so, it can be decoded.

Ed

That VIN ID website had no entry for my 83 Riv Convertible, 1G4AZ67Y0DE429250. So, it may not be helpful for you.

The unique rear seats in the convertibles can be a challenge, as the steel spring webbings in my car were badly rusted, and will have to be re-fabricated, which will probably not be easy or cheap....

Anyway, I have yet to hear of any ASC Riviera roadsters without practical tops, but anything is possible. Once, I cut the top off of a junkyard-bound 1958 Thunderbird, to make a "roadster". I hope your car's condition is more professional, and that we can comment further when your photos are posted.

Here's a link to the Riviera Convertible registry. You might get some information from these guys. Check your VIN number to make sure that this is a convertible conversion done by Buick and not a back-yard conversion. There was a convertible at Galena that was home made. A tree fell on the car and it was totaled by the insurance company. The guy bought it back for salvage and made a "roadster" out of it. It didn't have any top at all - fold up or removable. I think the guy just had a tonneau cover made to keep dirt and bugs out. It was a dark green, not burgandy or white like all other OE convertibles.

New Page 1

There are a couple of parts cars listed on the registry.

If your car is a true Buick made conversion, the 4th character in your VIN will be a 6, all coupes have a 5 as the 4th character.

Good luck

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

I remember seeing that car with the "Roadster" emblem on the deck lid recently. The emblem was not original equipment. A few years ago I had a silver S-10 pickup and I found a Pontiac Sliver Stream emblem for the tail gate. People do stuff like that and the older the car the more chance of those playful things.

If your car is an ASC, H&E, or, like my '86 Park Avenue, there will be a required tag on the driver's door like this.

car22.bmp