Moulton carpet source?

StillOutThere

Don't think there is a more appropriate forum for this so please accept my apology if incorrectly placed.

I am looking for MOUTON carpeting. My application is a 1960 Imperial limousine by Ghia; all the Ghia built Impl limos had sheared moulton for carpet. Other applications include all those Cadillac Eldo Broughams that are out there. And many other special order cars from custom body builders including some customized cars had moulton.

The only source I can find in the world has a minimum order of 500 yards which is just a bit more than I need. LOL

SMS, Jenkins, others do not have it. Suggestions or actual known supplier much appreciated. Thanks.

You'll probably have to get it in a 3rd world country. If it's REAL mouton, it's not available here. It is made of unborn lambs wool.

If it does not have a real tight curl, it is not really considered "mouton." My son bought a "mouton" Russian-type hat, but it does not have the tight curl to it. It is possible, though (since I'm not a Chrysler expert) that the "mouton" carpet they used in the 1960 Imperial was not real mouton, but rather a different version that they called mouton (sheared after the lamb was born, perhaps).

Guest Jim_Edwards

I'm sure you have discovered that other cars of the era had interiors done by Ghia who apparently had a thing about Mouton Carpeting. Among those Ghia completed cars was the Cadillac Eldorado Brougham. There was/is an Eldorado Brougham specific restoration parts operation in California whose web site indicates they have the Mouton carpet sets for those Cadillacs. It stands to reason they are not furriers or a carpeting house, meaning they are getting those Mouton carpet sets from somewhere, and that somewhere might just produce what you need. I'd give them a call. <big><big>(951) 674 - 0509</big></big> Mastermind Inc. - Catalog - Interior Parts and Materials - Mike Rizzuto - classic cars - cadillac - cadillac parts - classic cadillac parts - cars for sale - eldorado brougham - caddy - restoration - car parts - air suspension - reproduction parts -

Jim

• 8 years later...

Years ago I saw a Hispano town car at Hershey.  The passenger compartment windows were down and there was a slight breeze. The carpet was waving back and forth like gentle waves on the ocean.  Amazed I asked the apparent owner  "Is that carpet mink?".  Looking down his nose he replied in a haughty tone of voice  "No, it's ermine".

My 2003 BMW 760li (long) will be going through some collector style detailing over the winter. One item I plan is Mouton carpet covers in the rear. I expect my source will be vintage full length women's coats from Ebay. There is a lot of material in those coats.

Sitting in those reclining, cooled, 22 way rear seats with and couple of Perrier bottles in the cooler while Max, our chauffeur drives.

image.png.e24cb0b4de9e4b598049a079308a9ed3.png

and arriving barefoot, how Uma Thurman.

54 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Amazed I asked the apparent owner  "Is that carpet mink?".  Looking down his nose he replied in a haughty tone of voice  "No, it's ermine".

Isn't that followed by "You can't buy them. They are only available as gifts!".

20 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Isn't that followed by "You can't buy them. They are only available as gifts!".

A lot of 'corporate' neckties are similar, and are never offered for sale. 

This includes the nice Coca Cola one with stitched old-style Coke bottles on it, and Moen Faucet's 'tap tie'.  I really wanted to buy one of those Coca Cola neckties, but they have to be earned through sales results and would never be released for general sale.

Craig