Changing to a tilt steering - 65 Electra

wmsue

Hi everyone

I picked up a tilt steering column that is to be from a 65 Electra and I not quite sure it will bolt up. The brackets and the shift lever are different and I'm not sure if that makes it a no-go or can I adapt it to work? I'm attaching the book drawing of my non tilt steering along with 2 photos of the tilt steering column I purchased. The bracket on the tilt is welded on. The electrical connections for turns signals and neutral switch are correct.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

post-59118-143138515597_thumb.jpg

post-59118-1431385156_thumb.jpg

post-59118-143138515601_thumb.jpg

The shaft is loose in the column and the coupling is missing. The shaft end is knurled and there is a flat spot when I suppose it will go into the flange. I'll have to look to see how the flange looks on mine.

Thanks

That's not the news I wanted to hear, but it was something that I was afraid of. It's been raining here for the past week but I'll try and go the the shop and take some good measurements to see if it will work.

thanks

Maybe we'll put a new conv top on both our Buicks while I'm there. That is still on my list for this summer. We've had nothing but rain for the past few weeks.

I've been working on the rear quarter panels on mine this week. All that salt on the roads took a toll. I hope to get it painted this July.

If you have a chance and you don't mind, can you see if your tilt column has the welded bracket on it like the photo I posted?

The man I purchased it from (Oregon) insists it came from a 65 Electra.

Thanks

Thanks for the info on your 64'. I figured that the one I bought was just too different to work without major modification....which should not be necessary.

Thanks