1954 Buick Special Convertible

Guest goodtoothdoc

Guest goodtoothdoc

I need photos of correct trunk tailoring of the chainlink fabric for the trunk of my 54 Buick Special Convertible. Also correct pattern for the trunk cardboard so I can photograph it and make a silk screen overlay of it for my panels. Also photos of carpet so I know where to make release cuts and place binding. Thank you. Clark Goodwin goodtoothdoc@yahoo.com

Edited by goodtoothdoc
spelling error (see edit history)

Clark,

Welcome to the AACA Forum. Moved your query from the "Forum Questions" area as it is for website navigational questions/problems.

Regards,

Peter J.

Guest goodtoothdoc

Peter, I am new to this. Where does my query now reside and how do I know if I have received any responses to my question? Thank you. Clark

Hey Clark, don't worry, you are in the mainstream now. I don't know of anyone that reproduces the exact color and pattern on the cardboard panels. So you're saying you can reproduce it if you have pictures, that would be nice.

here's a few pics of a couple of different Specials with original fabric. It is reproduced, so you just need the cut pattern. It is sold as kits also I believe.

click on the pics below, then when they open, click them again, then again and they blow up so you can see detail. That is a pretty rare OE jack sack

PS: Please join us over on the '54 Buick Highway (click below to get there)

post-31987-143138513435_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138513452_thumb.jpg

post-31987-14313851347_thumb.jpg

post-31987-143138513486_thumb.jpg

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Guest goodtoothdoc

Thanks a million. That's exactly what I was looking for. Any idea on the correct red white and blue for the 54 Buick Special emblems? Thanks, Clark

• 1 month later...
Hey Clark, don't worry, you are in the mainstream now. I don't know of anyone that reproduces the exact color and pattern on the cardboard panels. So you're saying you can reproduce it if you have pictures, that would be nice.

here's a few pics of a couple of different Specials with original fabric. It is reproduced, so you just need the cut pattern. It is sold as kits also I believe.

click on the pics below, then when they open, click them again, then again and they blow up so you can see detail. That is a pretty rare OE jack sack

PS: Please join us over on the '54 Buick Highway (click below to get there)

Great pictures Mr. Earl, but I need some addtiional information if possible. I bought a kit in pebble beige of the cardboard parts (sides and rear) from CARS for about $59 and have it at work laying flat to level out from being rolled for shipping. It looks good so far, although have not tried to fit it yet. So I have some questions:

a) Should the cardboard be covered with the original tan/brown rope pattern material for the trunk? This could easily be glued in place. If not covered, should the cardboard be painted another color? I ordered this kit in pebble beige to get as close as possible to the tan/brown original rope pattern trunk lining material, figuring I could glue that material over top of the cardboard if necessary. If not to be covered, any idea of what the pattern looks like (painted or printed pattern?). If this pattern cannot be duplicated, would it be better to leave the cardboard sides, or cover the sides with the tan/brown rope pattern for a nicer look?

B) I assume that the original tan/brown rope pattern material should be used for the bottom of the trunk and up the back ledge as shown in Mr. Earl's picture? When I do this, I usually attach a light backing material to the trunk material, so that it has a smoother look and will lay nice and flat.

c) Was there a cover for the spare tire on the '54 Buick Special (either as with car as purchased, or as an option? If so, need to know if this cover was made of the same tan/brown rope pattern material, or possibly nuagahyde or something else? My car currently has a nice spare tire cover made of red/black nuagahyde to match the interior of the car and black carpet in the trunk area, which looked great, but as I am going for original, would like to do it right.

d) So for all of the components mentioned above, need the direction of the pattern (vertical, horizontal, or at random??) for the tan/brown rope material. This material is available from CARS or Jenkins at about $50-$60 per yard and is in stock. Once if figure out where this material is to fit and the direction of the pattern, I will order in some yardage. Jenkins sells a complete kit, but I normally prefer to do my own carpets, trunk and most upholstery myself.

Thanks for whatever help anyone can offer.

Fred

Great pictures Mr. Earl, but I need some addtiional information if possible. I bought a kit in pebble beige of the cardboard parts (sides and rear) from CARS for about $59 and have it at work laying flat to level out from being rolled for shipping. It looks good so far, although have not tried to fit it yet. So I have some questions:

a) Should the cardboard be covered with the original tan/brown rope pattern material for the trunk? This could easily be glued in place. If not covered, should the cardboard be painted another color? I ordered this kit in pebble beige to get as close as possible to the tan/brown original rope pattern trunk lining material, figuring I could glue that material over top of the cardboard if necessary. If not to be covered, any idea of what the pattern looks like (painted or printed pattern?). If this pattern cannot be duplicated, would it be better to leave the cardboard sides, or cover the sides with the tan/brown rope pattern for a nicer look?

B) I assume that the original tan/brown rope pattern material should be used for the bottom of the trunk and up the back ledge as shown in Mr. Earl's picture? When I do this, I usually attach a light backing material to the trunk material, so that it has a smoother look and will lay nice and flat.

c) Was there a cover for the spare tire on the '54 Buick Special (either as with car as purchased, or as an option? If so, need to know if this cover was made of the same tan/brown rope pattern material, or possibly nuagahyde or something else? My car currently has a nice spare tire cover made of red/black nuagahyde to match the interior of the car and black carpet in the trunk area, which looked great, but as I am going for original, would like to do it right.

d) So for all of the components mentioned above, need the direction of the pattern (vertical, horizontal, or at random??) for the tan/brown rope material. This material is available from CARS or Jenkins at about $50-$60 per yard and is in stock. Once if figure out where this material is to fit and the direction of the pattern, I will order in some yardage. Jenkins sells a complete kit, but I normally prefer to do my own carpets, trunk and most upholstery myself.

Thanks for whatever help anyone can offer.

Fred

:eek: CARS rolled the carboard up for shipping. :eek: HMOG. Personally I would go ahead and see if it is going to come anywhere near fitting properly. There's another source for it if not.

The "rope pattern" material was used only on the trunk floor. I can take pictures of the directions of the pattern if you'd like.

Personally I would opt for leaving the side cardboard panels plain (or paint a light chocalate brown as the origingal without the pattern) and not cover with the floor material. You can see the pattern in my pictures above.( click 3 times to magnify) I have some pieces of original cardboard if you have a way of printing them off or silkscreening it onto sheets that could be used to cover the cardbard like toothdoctor suggested.

Thanks Mr. Earl,

Yes, a picture (closeup) of the material on the trunk floor to show the direction of the pattern would be appreciated. I expected that the side panels (cardboard) would be another issue, but if you have a small sample of the original pattern, I may have our artist take a look. If not, will either spray paint per your specs, or cover with more material (not sure which way to go,since neither would be as original).

On my '39 LaSalle the entire trunk originally had material out of similar stuff but different pattern. I did the entire job myself and every line of every pattern lines up vertically or horizontally (better than factory I am sure). See pictures (not a Buick, but LaSalle is similar in many ways). After working on this trunk for 2 or 3 weeks, my knees will never be the same!

Good news: In my office I have a very large desk and some weights, so placed the curved pieces of the material face down and put weights on top. Within one day it is dead flat - now to see how they fit later. We are now cleaning up the trunk to bare metal - still no rust, other than a small hole at left front corner of trunk - not a big deal for us to weld in a patch.

What about the spare tire cover ? Also one of your photos showed a tool bag that was made out of what type of material? I will want to duplicate that bag as closely as possible.

Thank you,

Fred

'54 Special progress report for this week: More block sanding and epoxy primer on the fenders, doors, hood and deck lid and some on the body. Have body on a rotissierie and almost finished the entire bottom. Got started inside the trunk. Not the most pleasant job, but will be worth it. Next week is a Holiday Week, so not sure if we will get too far, but will continue with the project. We work non-stop on our restorations until completed, barring unforseen complications that usually come up before it is all over.

post-48037-143138553923_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138553925_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138553928_thumb.jpg

First off, all of the manufacturers roll to ship. Secondly, it will most likely need to be trimmed to fit. Third, don't cover the cardboard in fabric, (it looks terrible) paint it tan (to the brown side). In my opinion, I don't like spare tire covers.

Spare tire covers weren't standard nor available as a dealer installed accessory in '54. I'll try and get the pictures of the pattern direction for you this weekend. I'll send the piece of original cardboard, you can try to get it silk screened or copied onto vinyl or whatever for covering the card board if you'd like to try. If you have some left over, well you have my address...;) Mike I agree fabric wouldn't look quite right over the cardboard but what would you think about covering the cardboard with proper patterned vinyl :confused:

The jack case is "made of rugged reinforced vinyl plastic with quick snap top" per Dealer Installed Accessories sheet below. I'd have to think twice about sending the jack case via USPS but maybe....

Here is a source for trunk panels....that SHIPS FLAT:eek:...Imagine that....:P

1954 BUICK 2dr SPECIAL CENTURY TRUNK BOARD KIT 3pc NEW | eBay

post-31987-143138553937_thumb.jpg

I wonder if Repops is the manufacturer for the CARS stuff. That is who I got the latest stuff from. When I had mine reproduced in plastic by the guy who makes the firewall pads, he shipped them curled up, but they were plastic and no big deal to unfurl. The cardboard ones I just installed eventually flattened, kind of.

If one were to make up a vinyl appliqué that you stuck to the cardboard while it was flat, it might work. Kind of like one of our other friends who made up a "engine turned dash" sticker. I honestly think if you are going to go to any trouble on this, that you should take the flat pieces to a print shop or silk screener in town and see if they can somehow duplicate it.

The pebbling still won't be right.

The jack case is "made of rugged reinforced vinyl plastic with quick snap top" per Dealer Installed Accessories sheet below. I'd have to think twice about sending the jack case via USPS but maybe....

Regarding the jack case, I have the proper sewing/tailoring machines to make up a jack case and think I still have the machine to install the round snap on the cover. So it is not necessary to ship this - but a print of the exact size (or paper pattern) would be a good place for me to start. Looking at the attached pictures (I think Mr. Earl sent these), it looks as if the jack case had a gray (??) vinyl welt edging and black snap. I feel I can duplicate this, except for the pattern in a similar (no pattern) material itself, which is probably vinyl. I have some nuagahyde material at work in some nice tans that might work, but none have a pattern. Even without a pattern, it seems as if a jack case would be a good thing, as opposed to either no jack case, or a worn-out case. Comments will be appreciated.

I think the reason that there was no problem with CARS shipping the cardboard trunk kit is that they had to special order the kit from their supplier, so this meant that it was not rolled up in a box for long. Upon receipt I opened it immediately and layed the pieces flat with weights on top. They are now perfectly flat. I imagine CARS does this to save on shipping costs, as UPS now prices most everything "dimensional" and anything oversize is very expensive to ship. Many of us do not realize this and are now getting some "surprises" at the cost of shipping. Not all supplier have figured this out as yet, but will soon do so. The days of inexpensive shipping are fast disappearing.

I am not sure of how difficult (or expensive) it might be to have a silk screener duplicate cardboard with the correct pattern for the trunk panels, but I will try to find out, once I receive a sample from Mr. Earl. While Buick did not glue the trunk material on the side trunk panels in 1954, LaSalle did so in 1939, which I was able to duplicate and the trunk interior is one of the highlights of the car. See the finished product in my 3 picturres in one of my earlier posts.

So my question is this:

If it becomes impossible or impractical to have the cardboard silk screned, which of each choice below would result in a charge (if any) of how many points (?), if trunk cardboard is made of:

a) Standard color cardboard as sold to me by CARS (beige), unpainted. (Also was available in brown, but I did not order, so do not know the shade of brown).

B) Standard color cardboard painted to match the trunk carpet material (brown/tan).

c) Cardboard sections covered with same rope pattern trunk material as will be used on trunk floor that will be glued without any wrinkles or bubbles, similar to my LaSalle.

d) No side cardboard (ouch), or plain carpet in a matching color (eek).

e) Any other ideas?

I plan to look into silk screening, but doubt if it will be possible or practical at anything close to a reasonable cost. I am doing everything possible to make this car original, as I always do, but seldom show my cars, so sometimes will make a few compromises. The nice think about this is that the side cardboard panels can be changed any time in the future that something better comes along. My car is a 2-door Riviera Special (not a convertible) and the cost factor does not justify putting mega Buick Bucks into the trunk does it? Whatever I do will be done professionally.

Fred

post-48037-143138554079_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138554096_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138554112_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138554127_thumb.jpg

Excuse my ignorance, what is "pebbling".

The original trunk cardboard is almost textured in a crosshatch pattern instead of the round "pebbled" style that modern textured upholstery cardboard is made of. Like I said, I had mine made up in ABS plastic which is (of course) more resistant to moisture. It is "pebbled" the same as the cardboard. My car got a Senior award with that material. I painted it a dark reddish tan in satin vinyl paint that matched the lighter of the colors in the chain link fabric.

Any tan cardboard would be accepted for judging purposes. Not grey. Not black. Not carpeted. These would all look fine, if done well, but tan would be closest to correct.

I will go take a couple of pics later today.

See, I don't even remember the pattern on my own car. It is more of a fake leather texture.

I took these pics over the side, because of lighting in the garage, so they are all from the perspective of leaning over the quarter panel!!!

Pic one is the left corner as you are looking at it. The floor pattern is front to back. That bit of gray in the upper left hand part of the pic is the trunk AC unit.

Pic two shows the color and texture of my cardboard, as well as the direction of the chain link.

Pic three is how a 55 jack is mounted. Not sure if 54's are different, but it doesn't bounce around with the spring attaching it to the floor. Not sure if the spring is supposed to be red, but I liked the contrast.

Please note that the trunk is seven years old and a bit more wrinkly than when I first installed it. :o

post-32260-143138554373_thumb.jpg

post-32260-143138554384_thumb.jpg

post-32260-143138554393_thumb.jpg

Edited by buick5563
Added explanation. (see edit history)

Great pictures and glad that you posted. I am thinking that I will be ordering the chain link 54 Buick trunk material and glueing it to a lightweight firm fabric backing (eliminates wrinkles and makes it lay nice and flat), installing it and then fitting my beige cardboard trunk lining to see how it fits and looks. If all is OK, I will then paint the cardboard with a satin vinyl paint to try to match the color of the chain link fabric trunk material - probably the color of the links in the fabric, as from my experience, if trying to match, it is always better to be a little on the dark side as light.

Lots of help here on something that is probably overlooked by many. Oh by the way, did you cover the spare tire? I assume no pouch for the jack, which I plan on making in as close a match as possible. It will be some time before I get to this, but when I do so, will post plenty of pictures.

Attached are two pictures of the trunk area as of last week. Since then, the inside of the trunk area is down to bare metal in most areas, but have about one more day to go on this area.

Thanks, Fred

post-48037-143138554417_thumb.jpg

post-48037-14313855442_thumb.jpg

Fred,

I glued my trunk fabric to the cheap "carpet" that they sell at Pep Boys. There is plenty of padding so if you put anything in the trunk, you don't have to worry about messing up the chain link fabric. The most important part is leveling the floor prior to gluing the new trunk material in. So make sure that the indentions in the trunk are all flat.

I just redid a 55 trunk (in incorrect fabric) last month. You will need all of three yards to do a 2 dr. hardtop.

Lastly, the paint in the spare tire well and the tire mounting bracket is red oxide primer color, NOT body color.

No spare tire cover...

Does a 54 have the provision for the spring that I showed above?

I would personally prefer that than the "jack in a bag" arrangement if I was judging interiors. If you show it in BCA judging, make sure you have documentation for the bag.

Below is a pic of the tire. This shows the proper mounting of the jack base.

post-32260-143138554482_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the ideas Mike,

I am at home so can't get a closeup picture until Tuesday, but all I saw on my car was a heavy metal bracket of some type that was at the top right hand side of the tire well - It seemed to be a heavy metal support for the tire to lean against. It was welded into place and seemed to be on a slight angle (not sure if it got bent or if angle is correct, but is all I have to go with).

Below is a cropped version of what we are talking about, showing this heavy metal bracket in top yellow square and what appears to be a threaded rod to hold the tire into place. I did not see a spring to hold the longer part of the jack behind the tire, or elsewhere if that is the case.

We will be painting this bracket (once we figure out if the correct angle) and the tire mounting stud in primer, or should this stud be black? Is there a small flat bracket that holds against the spare tire at the outside of the spare tire (towards center of trunk), or is the base of the jack used for this? If it has a small flat bracket, mine is missing. If such a part, imagine that it should be black? I see no signs of a spring, which I assume would be on the inside of the spare tire towards fender??

Fred

post-48037-143138554579_thumb.jpg

The jack hold down spring was a one year deal, 1955. And was red oxide. Here is an unrestored one.

The 54 jack just bounced around in the trunk between the spare tire and the cardboard paneling.

Would it be permissible to maybe lay a copy of the Dealer-Installed Accessories booklet next to such an item to prevent any such mis-judging? Probably not?

post-31987-14313855459_thumb.jpg

The 54 jack just bounced around in the trunk between the spare tire and the cardboard paneling.

Well now we know one reason 55's are better than 54's. ;) That's just silly.

Fred, I now understand why you want the bag. Go for it. Then just have the accessory book handy if there is a question.

Glad you told me before I went and tried to get a shot of the little welded clip that holds the spring.

Lamar, in answer to Fred's earlier question about the bumper jack base holding the spare tire in place, is that correct on a 54?

As soon as Mr. Earl sends me the dimensitons and/or pattern for the bumper jack pouch, I intend to make one, as don't want the jack bouncing around between the spare tire and the cardboard. No wonder we cannot find any good original trunk cardboard! Does everyone agree that the edging of the trunk pouch appears to be a medium gray color with a pattern in the bag itself that is undoubtedly no longer available (looking at the picture previously posted).

While I still like to go all the way on originality, and as a result, try to prepare for judging, doubt if I will have my '54 Riviera Special 2 dr H.T. judged at any major Buick events, unless something comes up in our area of NE Ohio. We have a car museum at work and display our cars to the public, which is a lot easier to do than hauling a car around in a trailer, or driving many miles for judging.

:) I also drive my cars. I have been driving my 1947 Ford Convertible this spring and this weekend parked that car in our museum and brought home my 1958 Continental 2dr H.T., which I will be driving for a few weeks. Later may be driving my wife's 1957 Buick Super if I can get the brakes to cooperate. The only thing we did not yet check was the vacuum tank, as the car needs something to make it safe to drive. Attached are pictures of her Buick.

Fred

post-48037-143138554604_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138554606_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138554612_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138554616_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138554619_thumb.jpg

Fred,

I glued my trunk fabric to the cheap "carpet" that they sell at Pep Boys. There is plenty of padding so if you put anything in the trunk, you don't have to worry about messing up the chain link fabric. The most important part is leveling the floor prior to gluing the new trunk material in. So make sure that the indentions in the trunk are all flat.

I stopped at Pep Boys yesterday and picked up some of their inexpensive smooth beige carpet (they call it carpet, but it is actually a lightweight backing of sorts) to be used as a backer for the Buick chain-link trunk material. I will paint the spare tire well and bracket in red oxide, as you suggested.

Looking at the picture you posted, cannot tell how far into the spare tire well that the material extends. I would think so as not to have a cut edge showing, it would be cut to size and folded back (either glued as the fold-back or sewn?). Would this finished edge be fit to the exact opening (flat), or turned down and into the opening for about an inch or so?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am trying to think ahead, as will be working on this area in about a week or two.

Fred

Fred,

I'm going to send you a PM here so I can get your address. I will put some originals in the mail for patterns. (I'll want them back).

But for the rest of you here is the order of installation for all of the trunk pieces (55 small series, may be different on other models/ years).

One other disclaimer is that convertibles have different layouts and a different trunk fabric. I haven't done the trunk on my convertible yet.

1) unbacked fabric over wheel well - left and right side

2) left and right cardboard

3) front (cardboard)

4) left side (as viewed from rear bumper) two piece sewn fabric. The piece that goes next to the cardboard has padding below it, the side that extends over the edge into the middle of the trunk is just a piece of fabric with no padding under it.

5) right side next to the cardboard

6) upper fabric that is under the package tray then continues down to trunk floor

7) finally, the trunk floor

A good rule of thumb is that when the fabric is laid horizontally, it has padding behind it.

The spare tire well is entirely open, meaning no fabric in it. The padding runs up to the edge of the well, then the chain link fabric wraps around it.

There appear to be two different trunk materials for the 1954 Buicks - Most have the standard rope pattern, but the Roadmaster has a checker type pattern and may be a thicker material, per pictures from Mr. Earl.

Yesterday I ordered 3 yards of the rope material for my '54 Buick Special from CARS in NJ and noticed that they listed both types. Attached is a picture taken from from their catalog.

Fred

post-48037-14313855895_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
The spare tire shown in the picture is mounted with the white wall out. The tire should be mounted with the white wall mounted in towards the quarter panel.

Is this an opinion or do you have some support for that statement. The wheel will fit and can be secured both ways. With the white toward the fender, it is contacting a brace and if stored a long time will have a blemish (would not be an issue if a blackwall).

One of my 55 Centurys came with an original spare that was mounted with the white to the center of the trunk. Hopefully I have not been leading others astray all these years.:eek:

Willie

Not saying this is correct as I have never seen a 54 or 55 in a showroom but here is a factory promo photo taken on the rotisserie on top of the Buick building in Flint. It could have been turned that way for show, who knows.

Airy Cat please share what else you know about this.

post-31987-143138569901_thumb.jpg

Fred,

Lastly, the paint in the spare tire well and the tire mounting bracket is red oxide primer color, NOT body color.

Looking closely at your trunk/tire picture, would you say that the metal part that is holding the wheel in place is the bottom base of the jack? It looks as if it has a hex headed threaded piece about an inch or so long to hold in place and I assume this was the same hex size as the wheel nuts??

The reason that I am asking about he base of the jack is that Mr. Earl just sent his "original" jack bag and in the inside top of this bag was a compartment that woulld probably have held the flat base, so am wondering about this? The bag that he sent is really neat and shouldn't be too hard to duplicate. I know it was only a Buick accessory, but for my car, that is what I want to hold the jack, as sure don't want it rattling around or damaging the new carpet that is soon to be installed.

Bob Darney, my body man worked his entire career at GM and is very familiar with the assembly and painting process. We were talking about the tire well and he felt that the inside of that well was undoubgtedly painted in red oxide primer, but as the inside surface of the trunk floor and the ribs were painted in body color at the same time as the body, it seems as if body color paint would have sprayed down inside the well - at least partially. Bob also said that in his opinion, different assembly plants may have done things slightly differently. It just doesn't seem practical that when painting the inside floor area of the trunk (which was probably previously primed in red oxide) that the painter would mask off the inside of the tire well so that that area would remain in primer with the floor in body color?

Food for thought.

Fred

Yes, the jack base holds the wheel in place (ON A 55) The nut is the same size as the lug nuts (3/4") I have a spare nut if you need it.

Yes there probably would have been paint mist in the tire well, but you can't see it with the tire in place. (even with the whitewall out).

Edited by buick5563
Added trunk info & year verification (see edit history)

Yes, the jack base holds the wheel in place (ON A 55) The nut is the same size as the lug nuts (3/4") I have a spare nut if you need it.

Yes there probably would have been paint mist in the tire well, but you can't see it with the tire in place. (even with the whitewall out).

Thank you for the info - but wondering about "ON A 55". What about on a 1954? Is the nut just a lug nut, or is it different? I have seen some cars with a large wing nut to hold the spare tire in place also.

Fred

Thank you for the info - but wondering about "ON A 55". What about on a 1954? Is the nut just a lug nut, or is it different? I have seen some cars with a large wing nut to hold the spare tire in place also.

Fred

I can only speak to a 55, that is why I continually put the disclaimer for you or anyone else reading. I don't want to lead anybody astray.

Guest Rob McDonald

Regarding Mike's, son Woody, "I'm happy with just one. Does that make him a Limited?" and "Mike said he has a nut he doesn't need" OUTH, I bihhing my togue tho hawd it hutth.