1941 Plymouth Factory Restoration

Guest plymouthasc

Guest plymouthasc

Hi,

I posted a link to some videos of my restoration on another site. It was suggested I post the links here too.

I have been working on this car for several years. I hope to have it finished by the National Plymouth meet in Monterey California this summer.

I am posting a video each week on YouTube showing the progress toward completing the car.

You can see the first two videos here: YouTube - ihazwings's Channel

If you subscribe to the channel you will get a notice when a new video is posted. I will also keep you updated on this forum!

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions!

Mark

Thanks Mark, soft spot for the '41 Plymouth, that was my first car (antique or modern) I had one at age 14 in the 70s, when Allstate tires and NOS accesory seatcovers was just about the extent of my first "restoration" :)

Was a lot of fun and I learned a lot from that car, the flathead 6 is a great engine for sure.

Thanks for sharing!

Those are excellent videos! I too have a '41 Plymouth, a 4 door, that I traded a '64 Pontiac Tempest convertible for back in 1971. It is still in dry storage waiting to be worked on after a rod bearing spun back in 1976. My car is extremely original with only the four fenders having been repainted at some time and the engine is out and apart. If you need any help with any specific detail as to how it was done originally, I would be glad to help if I can. Looking forward to seeing more of your progress. Got to love a deadline!

Guest plymouthasc

Hi,

Thanks for the nice response and the offer of help. There are often times it is nice to know someone with good information.

I posted episode #3 of the videos about getting my car ready for the summer meet.

The topics covered: progress last week, adding the rubber bumper strip to the engine shields, seam sealing, making your own mini hot tank and Q&A.

Please keep asking questions.

Someone pointed out I had the U-bolts on the front engine mount upside-down. I have corrected that as shown in the photo. Let me know if you ever see anything that might be wrong about the assembly.

Mark

post-74290-143138486806_thumb.jpg

Guest Backyardmechanic

Mark after looking at all the videos nice job.The only thing I can see that would be a point off with the Ply.club judgeing is the small hose from water pump to therm.houseing should be painted engine color.The waterpump was install with hose then painted along with the engine.

Vern

Guest plymouthasc
Mark after looking at all the videos nice job.The only thing I can see that would be a point off with the Ply.club judgeing is the small hose from water pump to therm.houseing should be painted engine color.The waterpump was install with hose then painted along with the engine.

Vern

Thank you for point that out. I will take care of that. You have also given me the idea to ask people to "virtually" judge the car after I am finished to identify common problems that are noted at meets.

Thanks again!

Guest plymouthasc

I have posted video #4 for those of you who have been following the project.

YouTube - ihazwings's Channel

If you create a YouTube account and subscribe to my "channel" you will get automatic notifications when I post a new video.

I really appreciate all the support and feedback I have received. It is really helping with the restoration.

Mark

post-74290-143138495374_thumb.jpg

Edited by plymouthasc
typo (see edit history)

Guest plymouthasc

Video #5 is now posted on YouTube. I give an update and talk about some of the literature I used to help with the restoration.

Photo: Some small parts that came in the mail this week.

post-74290-143138502038_thumb.jpg

Guest plymouthasc

I posted a new video on YouTube in which I discuss tail lamp lens restoration, using patents for research, vacuum wiper motor rebuild service and removing & replacing the trunk deck lid springs on a coupe.

I continue to appreciate the support and interest of all in this project. I have gotten some great leads on restoration information and the chance to meet several people online.

post-74290-143138507572_thumb.jpg

Guest plymouthasc

I have posted the weekly video update of my restoration progress. In this video I tour Metal Rubber and see how reproduction rubber parts are made.

I also took a short break and went to Disneyland!

I hope to have the assembly bolts back from the plater today so I can continue with the restoaration assembly.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest plymouthasc

I posted video #8 on the restoration of my 1941 Plymouth. I talk about a place that does cadmium plating, some new rubber parts Dave Kruze (Metal Rubber) made for me and other updates on progress.

The video was getting long so I left out some things that I hope to cover in the future.

If you want a digital copy of the Standard Parts List, subscribe to my YouTube channel and send a request (including your YouTube username) to mark@ytmonline.com

Mark

<!-- / message -->

<!-- controls -->

progress.gif

post-74290-143138523059_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest plymouthasc

I posted episodes #9 and #10 of the restoration progress on my 1941 ASC . Take a look at the firewall completed and woodgrained dash installed.

Here is a link for episode #10

If you want to see #9 first, go to YouTube - ihazwings's Channel.

I also tell a little about the Service Reference books published by Chrysler in the 1940's and 50's and where to find them on the Imperial Club's website.

I should be starting the engine this week!

Mark

post-74290-143138541484_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest plymouthasc

I finally got the engine started on my 1941 Plymouth restoration. I need to prime the oil pump, rework the fuel pump and adjust the regulator to get things running.

I am still on target finishing this ten year restoration by the middle of June, 2011.

Here is a video about my current progress and engine problems.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Guest plymouthasc

I have posted video #12 about the restoration of my 1941 Plymouth ASC.

Help be a virtual judge by watching the video and letting me know what may not be correct on the engine. I am about ready to add the engine dust shields, fenders and hood. Now is the time to correct an errors in the restoration.

Also, if you want a digital copy of the 1941 Miller Tool catalog, subscribe to my YouTube channel (YouTube - ‪ihazwings's Channel‬‏) and send an email to mark@ytmonline.com with your YouTube name and request.

Thanks for your continued support.

Mark

post-74290-143138561719_thumb.jpg

post-74290-143138561723_thumb.jpg

post-74290-143138561728_thumb.jpg

post-74290-143138561731_thumb.jpg

post-74290-143138561985_thumb.jpg

Guest plymouthasc

Hi! I posted video #13. I did a step-by-step assembly of one of the doors.

The car will be in the upholstery shop this week. I got a look at the seats partially covered and I am pleased with what I see so far. They are being very careful to match the original upholstery that has been in the car since new. The fabrics are slightly different, but I think they are a good representation of the original materials.

I also did some follow-up on the "virtual judging" you all did on my engine compartment.

I found the original oil cap. It had several rust holes in it, but I was able to fill them with JB Weld and I think it came out fine. Photo below.

I also followed up with the POC 1941 technical advisor. He said the heat shield was painted black on these cars.

Finally, I was able to get the fellow in Poland who makes the id tags to make me a Body ID Tag that matches my original. The coupe bodies were built by Dodge (not Briggs) and therefore they have a different body number tag. I have attached a photo of the tag I had made. These are very high quality tags done in the original acid etch method with raised letters. He has more of these if you are interested.

Thanks for everyone's support and feedback.

There are a couple of items I have not been able to find (like the battery hold down frame). I will post a list of these items soon. Hopefully someone will know a good source.

Mark

<!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

post-74290-143138569154_thumb.jpg

post-74290-14313856916_thumb.jpg

post-74290-143138569166_thumb.jpg

Guest plymouthasc

Hi again! I posted video #14 about the restoration of my 1941 Plymouth ASC.

It is on YouTube:

I talk about getting the car registered in California, show the cars of Jim Yergin and Johan Torola , and assemble one of the front door garnish moldings and ventilator window.

The car will be back from the uupholstery shop this week and final assembly is coming soon!

Mark

• 1 month later...
Guest Shep64

Mike-

I inherited a 1941 Plymouth Special Deluxe Convertible from my uncle. He retored the car to road-ready condition about 30 years ago but it has not been ridden in about 20 years. I have removed the gas tank from under the car (lots of rust) and have turned the engine over by hand. All tires have dry rot. I am not sure of the exact model since all of the paper work is missing. Do you have a recommendation for a service manual? I am a very amateur mechanic who recently retired. Your Youtube videos are fantastic. Open to any suggestions.

Scott

JXDr9x6zeBxEAis8JI1GzA?feat=directlink

Guest plymouthasc

I posted a video about finishing the car and enteringit in the Plymouth Owners' Club National Summer Meet in Pacific Grove California. I would have loved to enter the AACA meet this month, but I have a previous commitment that weekend.

Thanks for the interest from members of this forum.

Mark

Mark...Your videos have really inspired me. I have to ask you, but can you, at some point do a slow walkaround and show just your finished car? We (and I have heard from others about it) would love to see the finished engine compartment and interior and that beautiful body. Those other cars were definitely a treat, but we would really like to see the details all together. Thanks for posting those wonderful, informative videos. John

Guest plymouthasc

I will plan to do a video tha just does a walk around of the car and shows some of the details. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Mark, when I saw what you're working on I thought you might like to see this picture from the summer of 1946. I'm the guy in the striped shirt. I rode many miles in that sedan, and one vivid memory is those bad vacuum wipers. Even fully repaired, like the ones on my Packard, they make driving in the rain an "exciting" adventure. :)

post-79505-143138686922_thumb.jpg

Guest plymouthasc

Thanks for sharing the photo. It looks like you got good use out of your '41 Plymouth. It is fun to see these old photos of the cars in actual use.

Thanks again!!

Mark

Mark, when I saw what you're working on I thought you might like to see this picture from the summer of 1946. I'm the guy in the striped shirt. I rode many miles in that sedan, and one vivid memory is those bad vacuum wipers. Even fully repaired, like the ones on my Packard, they make driving in the rain an "exciting" adventure. :)

That is a great photo!