1917 Brewster body Ford T?

Guest c.johnson

Guest c.johnson

Ok Ford guys, here's a question for you...

I met a young guy this weekend and says his dad left him a 1917 Ford model T with a Brewster body that needs paint & interior.

I asked him if he plans of finishing it, he says he isn't sure because he doesn't know if the the interior kits for the standard Model T will fit or not.

I don't know about Ford T's, and what I know about about Brewster bodys is much later than '17.

So I guess the question is, is there a Brewster body T this early, and if so, is he correct in his assumption that it is different enough that an interior kit would not fit?:confused:

Thanks,

Some info about Ford/Brewster...

The Ford deal and the End

By this time in the Great Depression, there was strong sentiment against the wealthy (and the archetypal Brewster-bodied Rolls-Royce) and Brewster was not selling well. In 1934 employee J.S. Inskip, who had taken control of operations to save Brewster from the Depression, purchased 135 Ford V8 roadster chassis and designed a body for it, identified by its swoopy fenders and a heart-shaped grille. 15 were made with the 1935 Ford grill. Stylish and sold for only $3,500, it was a hit at the 1934 New York Auto Show. The bodies were worth more than the chassis. These cars were registered as Brewsters and sold at Rolls-Royce showrooms, and were not branded as Fords. Edsel Ford acquired the first shipped example, which was the third Ford Brewster ever built. It is one of Edsel Ford's few personal cars and still survives today in remarkable condition, unrestored. Inskip marketed the car to New York celebrities (see Notable Owners), with whom it became popular.

The Ford Brewster project was initially profitable. Soon Brewster was taking losses and her bondholders and directors would claim something needed to be done. They insisted on closing down the firm and in July 1935, bankruptcy proceedings were instituted.

On August 18, 1937, the company was sold at public auction.

Guest c.johnson

Yup, no offense Keiser 31, but I know all that Great Depression, AFTER October 29th 1929 Brewster related stuff...

The T he has is a 1917...you know...WWI... the "Great War"...

Question is; I don't know if Brewster even built bodies for Ford that far back, and if so, would an interior kit for a standard 1917 Ford Model T fit?

Yup, no offense Keiser 31, but I know all that Great Depression, AFTER October 29th 1929 Brewster related stuff...

The T he has is a 1917...you know...WWI... the "Great War"...

Question is; I don't know if Brewster even built bodies for Ford that far back, and if so, would an interior kit for a standard 1917 Ford Model T fit?

No offense taken...I did not see any pre-1929 Brewster/Ford connection.

Can you post a picture of the Model T body? During this period Ford purchased bodies from outside manufacturers. Some have a letter stamped into the front seat riser that shows the maker, B is one of them but it does not stand for Brewster, rather Boudette. The bodies supplied to Ford do have very minor differences but not enough to preclude a kit from fitting.

Guest c.johnson

That's got to be it!!! I not a Ford T expert, but it didn't look different from thousands of others I've seen over the years.

He did say his dad claimed it was a different body based on a mark he found near the front seat. I didn't see the mark, and don't know if it's still there or not...there was a lot of wood replaced.

That will make selling him on the idea of finishing it a lot easier.

I will see if I can get a pic & post it.

Thanks,

3 little known factors at work here. One, many New Yorkers had miniature limousines built on small European 4 cylinder chassis for town use. Two, many of these limousine bodies were transferred to cheap American chassis when the original imported one wore out or parts got hard to get. Three, Brewsters sales were mainly in New York and surrounding areas.

I have seen pictures of at least 2 expensive, small limousine bodies that were originally built on costly import chassis, that were transferred to Ford chassis.

I have also heard of one case where an elderly woman had a limousine built on a Model T chassis because her gardener acted as her chauffeur, and the only car he could drive was a Ford.

So, it is possible someone ordered a Brewster body on a Ford Model T chassis or that a body originally built for some other chassis, was transferred to a Ford.

I don't believe it could be a factory option. Brewster bodies were too expensive, and Brewster's plant too far from Detroit to make it practical.

To answer the man's question the chance of any ready made upholstery fitting the car is zero. The body is completely different from a stock Ford.

On the bright side, it must have come with much nicer upholstery than any stock Ford, and period correct fabrics are available. What is more there is nobody to say what is original on that car and what is not since it was built to order in the first place.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a guy ,Brad Hunter (silverghost), who was a frequent contributor here although he hasn't been heard from for a while. Brad mentioned remembering a Model T from his youth that used to frequent the car shows around Philadelphia. He said this T had a custom body, possibly a Brewster, and he was looking for information on it. You might try contacting Brad for more info,just find any post from silverghost and send him a PM. Good luck.

• 1 month later...
Guest '22 Brewster

Yes..., Brewster did body one Ford @ the 1916 time frame. It is difficult to do an exact dating of Brewster bodies because many of the bodies built by Brewster were "unassigned" when completed and sat for a customer. However, the Ford body would have been a special order and not a body waiting for customer. The 1500 series Brewster bodies were sold between 1915 and 1917. Brewster and Company journals list Brewster body #1535 as having been a "Ford buggy", whatever that means. It was purchased by Mr. C.W. Chapin. This is the only listing of a Brewster body for a Ford from 1915 through the middle of 1918. If the "T" in question was actually bodied by Brewster the body #1535 will be on most of the body parts and should be easily discovered. Brewster numbered every body part...I suspect too prevent their jobs from getting mixed up.

This may not shed light on the Model T in question, but does resolve the issue of Brewster bodying a car in the teens.

Frank