The $3300. Florida Vert, it's down to $2700.

Guest Greg Ross

Guest Greg Ross

I ran across this add again;

1990 Buick Reatta :: $3,300 :: LAKE MARY, FL :: Listing ID-194217 :: CarsOnlineFree.com

And made an inquiry.

The response was supposedly from an ex-Serviceman disgruntled with his Iraq experience and what he saw there. Instead he quit, joined UNICEF and returned to Iraq.

The car was being sold strictly to make a donation to UNICEF, Oh and he'd entered the vehicle in the eBay Vehicle Protection Program. The price is down to $2700. including shipping. (I guess this guy in Nigeria doesn't know there's an international border between FLA and PEI Canada)

Supposedly all you have to do is provide your name and address, you'll receive an invoice from eBay with payment instructions (Western Union Money-gram no doubt) Once the Seller has confirmed payment he'll ship you the car giving you 5 days to accept or reject. Should you decide to not accept the vehicle he'll cover the return shipping, no problem.

Oh and sorry, he's in Iraq, the car is in Missouri in a storage facility and it can't be accessed for inspection-see the above generous acceptance terms.

I Googled "eBay Vehicle Protection Program" and wasn't surprised to see there were many, many SCAM references.

This is almost like a compliment, the Reatta has finally made it to "Main Stream" the Scammers have discovered us!

Found this on the page.... :rolleyes:

How to Avoid Scams almost 100%?

-Try to Deal directly with a local Seller/Buyer.

-Avoid Shipping arrangements at all times.

-Do not deposit any unknown check received.

-Do not send money via money order/wire

transfer and certainly not in Advance.

Smells and looks like a SCAM to me.When you look at the link and the pictures provided they are the same photos talked about in a previous thread where the car was purported to be in Miami {with a hillside in the background} Could be explained by the fact that those photos come up in a google search for a 1991 Reatta.I would personally be wary.:eek:;):rolleyes:

Guest daytonreatta

I actually work for the Better Business Bureau and this type of scam is all too common, and you can go to craigslist on almost any given day and find them.

Interesting how fast we can track things down when motivated, reminds me of anti-virus work in the 90's. One biggie appeared in the Phillipeans about 6 pm EDT and by 6 am the next day, we had defenses in the gateways before the East coast came to work.

Guest Richard D

Jeez, The first time I made an inquiry it was a dealer owned car, the second day it said private seller then I was never contacted again and the phone was no longer in service.

I wonder why?

Richard

Guest Richard D

IT IS OF COURSE A SCAM, I WAS JUST HAVING FUN WITH THE"SELLER" There is another group of folks selling 1950s-60s era RCA color TV cameras for around $10,000.00 These cameras are about the size of two modern side by side refrigerator and weigh several thousand pounds. Most say they are in the United Kingdom and will pay for shipping. Oh yeah, they also need a room full of electronics for each camera. When someone asked for a picture of one he was sent a picture of his own camera he had posted on an antique TV web site.

Edited by Richard D (see edit history)

Before Christmas, my '52 Roadmaster was apparently for sale on the Charlotte Craigslist...one fellow from the forum with some sort of long distance plan had a chat with him an eventually let him have it...he may have had a '52 Roadmaster for sale, but he'd grabbed one of my photos...of course, not a good photo that shows the car (and its flaws) well, but one that doesn't show much and happens to include my wife. I reported it about all the places I could...it seems Craigslist doesn't care much about pulling scam ads.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Road mister

Richard, I have a twin to your car, I have put it on the market in the, Reatta For Sale forum. Looking for some input.

post-63023-143138467462_thumb.jpg

Guest Richard D

It looks like your wheels have a better finish and the tail light strip is completely clear. I need to polish mine again, it will stay clear for about six months down here. Why are you selling her?

Richard