Ever had someone mistake your Reatta for something else?

Guest Kitskaboodle

Guest Kitskaboodle

On the Fiero Forum there are occasional threads about people who mistake them for other kinds of cars such as Ferrari's, MR2's, Eclipse's, etc...

So, I was just wondering, Has anyone mistook your Reatta for something else? (and what did they think it was?)

Thanks, Kit

i had someone try to convince me that my 1990 red coupe was a mercedes benz.he was quite adamint.

cheers from canada, gryfan

Southern Ontario Reatta Owners,

Guest Richard D

a couple times a month I get asked by younger drivers if it's really a Buick and is it going to be a production car, plus a few folks say they had one and wish they had kept it. I get a few oh yeah, that is the same car as the Allante but with Buick badges. Depending on my mood I will say gee, Thank's I did not know that or I will explain the differences.

I had the proprietor of a local Italian restaurant (1st generation immigrant, still has the accent) ask me if it was a Fiat. I don't know much about Fiat (I assume he did, being from Italy) so I have no idea if they made a model that looks similar. I do know that there is no other American made car that looks anything like a Reatta as far as I am concerned. Ok, maybe from the rear an untrained eye might think of a Cadillac Catera, but I think that is a stretch.

Most often, I get people who can't believe it is a 20 year old car. I tell them you wouldn't believe what I spent to make it look like it isn't. Some cannot believe it is a Buick, like there is any doubt with the tail lamp badging.

KDirk

Ronnie,

Ok, I'll admit that a drop top LeBaron does look a _bit_ like a Reatta from that angle with the top down. I note that the black belt molding and black side mirrors contribute to that perception. And of course I wasn't thinking about the Chrysler/Maserati TC when I made my previous post, but like the LeBaron from which it was spawned, it looses much of it's similarity when the top is off. Especially the TC's hard top with the porthole opera window makes it look much different.

The Ford Probe and Mazda RX-7 have some very vague resemblance, but I have a hard time seeing that. Then again, I know cars and am detail oriented. Those who aren't would be more apt to not notice the differences I suppose.

KDirk