Rare Original 1913 Harley Davidson V-Twin

Ron Green

That used to belong to my friend David Choate from Peterborough. I saw him ride around on it, at old bike events, years ago. At that time it still had the original tires that were installed at the Harley plant all those years ago. They were worn, cut up and dried out but they still held air.

The original owner was a young man who went overseas in WW1 and never came back. His parents kept the bike in their basement right where he left it for more than 50 years. I don't know how Dave came to learn about it but he did, and went and bought it.

30 years ago a Harley dealer offered Dave a brand new ElectraGlide and sidecar for it. He just laughed. "If I want one of those, all it takes is money" he said.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

The 2 brothers from Indian River who inherited the bike would not sell it to Dave for the longest time but had a desire for an early 1930's Chrysler which Dave found and traded with them. When I got the bike the triple start rear wheel clutch worm was shattered possibly an age related problem compounded by Dave's overzealous riding technique! The bike is quite capable of 60 mph which requires bravery as the brakes are not up to the task.

Rusty, can you remember if the speedometer and a period Ontario license were fitted when you saw the bike as these items disappeared just after Dave's ownership tenure.

Will this bike ever make the Oley, Pa. or Rhinebeck, N. Y. Meets?

Not during my ownership. My days of hauling bikes to meets for display are over. Too many thieves and too much hassle. I am having much more fun riding my later bikes on the road Indian 4, Henderson 4 and Broughs etc.

The 2 brothers from Indian River who inherited the bike would not sell it to Dave for the longest time but had a desire for an early 1930's Chrysler which Dave found and traded with them. When I got the bike the triple start rear wheel clutch worm was shattered possibly an age related problem compounded by Dave's overzealous riding technique! The bike is quite capable of 60 mph which requires bravery as the brakes are not up to the task.

Rusty, can you remember if the speedometer and a period Ontario license were fitted when you saw the bike as these items disappeared just after Dave's ownership tenure.

You are asking me to remember details of what happened 30 years ago or more. I believe the speedo was on the bike, as we had some discussion of the bike's speed potential at the time. What it had for a license plate I do not recall except that it was not the one that is on there now. If it had a plate it was the original Ontario plate that was on it when it was put away at the start of WW1.

I haven't spoken to Dave in years but I believe he still lives in the Peterborough area, possibly in Lakefield. A web search should turn up his address and phone number.

If you talk to him tell him Grant says hi, and still has the Triumph he used to ride up to Peterborough in the old days.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)