PreWar Mercedes Benz

alsancle

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

This car is posted elsewhere in this thread when it was for sale last time.  RHD.  I would guess 1936 and not 38 since it has a 500k body on it. 

The description states it is a 1936, but in 1969 some guy in Wisconsin titled it as a 1938 for reasons undisclosed. Maybe it had a 500 engine until 1938?

33 minutes ago, BoboP said:

This is the most expensive 540-K Special Roadster in the World I think. Agree or I'm not informed well? http://www.extremecarsnbikes.com/mercedes-benz-540-k-special-roadster-sold-for-9-9-million-dollars/

Welcome to the forum. Second most expensive behind the von Krieger roadster at $11.77M in 2012, and only just ahead of the Mann roadster at $9.68M in 2011.

Great pictures. Thanks. I notice that every two seat 290 or 320 appears to be a replica body. Interesting to see the Almar stand, since they are the ones building a lot of the replica bodies. Did you happen to notice whether any of these cars are represented as replicas?

Hi Henry,

I dit not see any price shield with the word replica on it  ;)

Ofcourse i noticed that a lot of the cars must be replica`s .

The bleu 170/6 roadster for example has the same dash as the normal ihnenlenker :D

The 290 roadster was Euro 625.000 and on the Mannheim cab a Euro 450.000

Only exceptions are the  Trossi Bentley and Pur sang , but what a great piece of art do the make.

The Bugatti`s and Alfa Romeo`s are so nice and looks  like the survived a lot of races in the past.

Edited by roadster36 (see edit history)

The only one I wasn't too sure of was the 290 Cab A short, dark blue and light blue. But if you compare the fenders to a factory picture, from the crown to the running board is a straight line as is the line of the running board itself. In the factory pictures the fender and running board make a continuous curve. I've noticed on the Almar 320 LWB Cab A's , which now number at least 5-6 cars, the curve of the running board was not executed well, but on these cars, many other things stand out as well making then very easy to identify, the too-wide and too flat fender beading and the too flat features at the top of the doors, as well as very sharp corners where the metal was pieced together instead of being pressed or rolled shapes.

I'm a Packard guy, what I know about M-B cars you can stick in a thimble but years back these were worthy of a couple of photos; perhaps you folks can identify them for me.  Note the Washington Diplomatic plates on one.  Can I assume they still exist and do we know where?  The venue was a meet sponsored by the Half-Century Region of the VMCCA in Allendale, New Jersey, probably the late 60s or possibly the early 1970s. 

PICT0023.JPG

PICT0024.JPG

On 4/18/2016 at 3:28 PM, Owen_Dyneto said:

I'm a Packard guy, what I know about M-B cars you can stick in a thimble but years back these were worthy of a couple of photos; perhaps you folks can identify them for me.  Note the Washington Diplomatic plates on one.  Can I assume they still exist and do we know where?  The venue was a meet sponsored by the Half-Century Region of the VMCCA in Allendale, New Jersey, probably the late 60s or possibly the early 1970s. 

PICT0023.JPG

PICT0024.JPG

Is that a "diplomat" license plate??? Or, a "Duplicate" license plate?

So bought my 2010 gl450 2 years ago. Since that change so many parts on my gl. My question why why is that car has so many issues? Does anyone can answer please. Hate my car already only for all have to fix. A lot too much. Stereeng wheel pump, suspensionsall over. A lot. Slot. Why you do expect quality. But getting shit. Whyyyyyyy

Might be out of topic but just can't hold it any more. Sorry guys. 

Definitely off topic but I'll chime in with one comment.  I think in general I have always been pretty smart about car purchases. About 10 years ago I bought my wife a new R500 in a momentary fit of insanity.   They discontinued the model after 1 year, I think I was the only person that bought one.   For a brand new car it had a lot of problems.  I guess I should have remembered what happened with the 1968 Corvette.   When it comes to MB,  there are the prewar cars that are fantastic.  There are some interesting models in the 50s,  170S, 220, 300, etc.  A few more in the 60s and then zero as far as I'm concerned after that.

• 2 weeks later...

The Norrmalm 540k is coming up for auction.  I've seen this in person a couple of times and remember when it was for sale 15 years ago at a very reasonable price.  Very few cars did not have the mother of pearl dash and I find this one attractive.  The car is wider than a standard 500k/540k and you can tell by the passenger seat.  I have always liked it.

http://www.thefinest.com/hershey-2016/1938-mercedes-benz-540k-norrmalm-cabriolet

Auction description:

This chassis was delivered to Mr. Max Gumpel of Sweden, on the 30th of September 1937. The coachwork was designed with function in mind, and built to cope with the harsh roads and long, snowy winters of Sweden. Also built with two batteries, and an oversized fuel tank for extended range of travel. The dashboard is also unique, and was designed by the brothers Gunnar and Knut Espeland. The coachwork was completed in February of 1938, and the car was originally registered to Mr. Gumpel on March 4 of that year with the registration number A54. The low registration number was reflective of his position in Stockholm at the time. Mr. Gumpel was known as a flamboyant individual, and he had the car equipped with Marchal headlights, spotlight and running lights. His most prominent personalization was the oversized mascot of the nude goddess Diana with her bow shooting an arrow into the sky. The front seats were designed to accommodate three passengers, two ladies and a gentleman, as legend has it. Mr. Gumpel was a close personal friend of Greta Garbo, and it is believed that she rode around with him in this very special car. It was put up during World War II, when there was very little gas available, and also received a special “non-conscription order”, thereby allowing the car to remain with Max and not be conscripted to the Swedish Army.

300.jpg

204.jpg

200.jpg

On 5/20/2016 at 6:35 PM, alsancle said:

Here is the Nethercutt 540k I took this morning.  No light so picture stinks.

They kindly allowed me step inside the rope for a few photos the last time I was there. Nice reflection of the undercarriage, but the reflection from the windows is not good. I've always thought it was a strange decision to put their prime display areas in the lobby and in the bay window coves where photography is the most difficult.  The Grand Salon across the street is great, but they herd you through with dozens of people, so you have to take a couple of tours to have enough time to appreciate the very best cars. Still, great museum, and the library staff was very helpful. 

Here also is the 1913 M-B Phaeton in the Grand Salon.

DSC_5885 sm.jpg

DSC_5777 sm.jpg