Recalled parts

Vila

I checked the judging manual and could not find anything on this topic.

I am restoring a 1962 Triumph TR4 and the early production TR4s had the same spatula blade cooling fan as the earlier TR3 series cars. This fan was found to be deficient and replaced with a new square blade design early in production.

I have seen a copy of the official recall for replacing the spatula blade fan on the early cars with the square blade fan. I didn't make a copy of it at the time and am currently searching the internet to find it to keep with my TR4 documents.

The AACA judging manual states the the goal is to "evaluate

an antique vehicle which has been restored to the same state as when the dealer received the vehicle from the factory". I could not find anything about parts changes due to recalls.

My question is what are the judging standards on items like this recalled fan since the car did not come from the factory with it?

Reproductions of the square bladed fan are available from at least one of the big 3 triumph parts suppliers.

Visit my website at: Bob's Vintage Cars

Vila

1933 Chevrolet

1962 Triumph TR4

1984 BMW 633 CSi

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

My interpretation of the rules would be that you would be OK with either a fan like it came from the factory with, or with the factory authorized replacement fan after the recall. I would make sure that you have documentation for whichever one you are going to use.

My thought: The replacement fan was dealer installed and factory authorized. Any accessory that was dealer installed with factory authorization is allowed, so it would be nonsense to treat the recall replacement part any differently.

Hey Vila,I can appreciate your efforts in getting it right but the AACA showfield is not the place to sweat it.Save your worrying for the individual marque club.diz

The Vintage Triumph Register doesn't even deduct points for period aftermarket add-ons! I've judged TR6s for them, and we made no note at all of the recalled bits on them.

http://www.kingswayrc.com/txtr/Judging.pdf

I'm not familiar with the Triumph Register of America's judging policy, but their judging sheet says that there were no changes in fans for the TR4. Even if the fan is judged incorrect it's only a 1 point deduction, which is reduced to a 0.2 deduction on a 100 point scale.

http://www.triumphregister.com/TRA%20Guide%20Binder%202004.pdf