Body Mount Kit

kdml

Anyone ever use OPG's body mount kit for a '65 Riviera? Any opinions?

I was noticing Cars, Inc listed individual body mount parts, but no kit and out of pure laziness I thought I would go with OPG's kit instead of ordering individual parts

Thanks

Doug

Not sure if they were the same manufacturer or different - just trying to get some opinions before purchasing, as I only want to replace these once.

I have not purchased anything from OPG so I have no experience on the quality of their parts

Thanks Gee Rydes - I will contact Classic Buicks

Anyone know if the classic buicks kit is exactly like original. I just pulled my body mounts and noticed the steel sleeve for the rear most mount is oval and the mounts over the rear springs are larger in diameter. I tried emailing classic buicks with my question, but keep getting an error

Thanks

Guest nickdaytona

I checked and the body mounts say 63-64 . The '65's are different ?

Part # 03-112H

03-113H

Their motor mounts are $30 / pr

• 3 weeks later...

I just received the body mount kit from Classic Buicks.

2 of the mounts are different (lower height and wider diameter). The originals I removed from the car all all the same diameter except for the 2 above the rear tires (which are larger), but they all appear to be the same height.

Any thoughts?

In addition, my rear most mounts have oval holes. I was going to do as Gee Rydes suggested and oval the mount, but since the metal insert in the mount is one piece (sleeve and washer) it appears I need to round out the hole in the frame - that sound right?

Thanks

Doug

post-64567-143138469406_thumb.jpg

Guest Gee_Rydes

If you cut just the rubber part in 2 straight parallel lines one on either side of the metal sleeve, you end up with an oval shape. Basically the metal sleeve wall is the small diameter of an oval and the uncut rubber makes for the larger diameter of the oval. Then it will fit into the frame with any mod

• 1 month later...
Guest 1Badlad

Just an FYI, I recently purchased the OPG kit for the 65 Bucik Riv. Quality seems to be good but kits is far from complete. The website is very misleading and the 10 pc kit is just that with no lower bushing when it clearly stated both upper and lower.

Has anyone finished installing a classic Buick kit and was it complete enough to cover all 14 mounting locations?

ROA#2742

Guest Rob J

What are you guys doing about bolts? Are you just matching the old ones with new ones from the hardware store?

Most of my bolts (the few that actually came out in one piece) are junk.

Guest 1Badlad

Most of the bolts that came off mine were junk as well. I am matching them up with bolts from my local parts source. I am using all grade 8 bolts which may be overkill but since they come zinc coated I figured they wont rust as quick.

Any body know of a source that makes the body mount molding for the rear trunk pan? The replacment trunk sheet metal available does not produce or incorporate in to pan.

ROA#2742<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Guest 1Badlad

Well that channel if made would be nice if it was available, I will have to replace part of that but I can fabricate it easily enough. The molded part I speak of is located in the trunk area just behind the wheel, directly in the corners.

I installed the kit from Classic Buicks. It covered all mounting locations with both upper and lower bushings. The only thing not included in the kit was the bolts. Mine were in good shape so I re-used them. The only bolts I replaced were the 4 for the front mounts as my original bolts where just slightly too short to reach the cage nuts to reinstall. I too, grabbed new grade 8 bolts at the local parts store.

The only modification I needed to make to the mounts was for the rear mounts as the original hole in the frame cross member was oval, but the mounts were round. I just cut down the rubber that drops into the frame member to make it oval.

What do you guys do when the bolt breaks off in the cage nut?? Can you get at it to replace the nut?

It would depend on the location. If the nut is inaccessible, transplant surgery must performed by cutting open the steel channel its in making an access hole large enough to replace the nut. Not a fun job.

It would depend on the location. If the nut is inaccessible, transplant surgery must performed by cutting open the steel channel its in making an access hole large enough to replace the nut. Not a fun job.

Ugggghhhh....... OK. Hopefully I can keep the breakage to a minimum!

What are you guys doing about bolts? Are you just matching the old ones with new ones from the hardware store?

Most of my bolts (the few that actually came out in one piece) are junk.

Interesting that new bolts are not available as a part of a body mount kit from somebody. I remember when I did my 55 Chevy, in the Classic Chevy Int. catalog, in the same group as new body mounts was an item for new body mount bolts. Just pick sedan, hardtop, wagon or convertible. All the new bolts you needed to do the job could be ordered at the same time you ordered the rubbers.

Interesting that new bolts are not available as a part of a body mount kit from somebody. I remember when I did my 55 Chevy, in the Classic Chevy Int. catalog, in the same group as new body mounts was an item for new body mount bolts. Just pick sedan, hardtop, wagon or convertible. All the new bolts you needed to do the job could be ordered at the same time you ordered the rubbers.

Steve,

The key word is "CHEVY". I've checked the major fastener companies websites and can't find the flange head reduced shank bolts in 7/16 that were used on older Rivs.

Apparently the Chevy people have reproduced them along with every other part on a 55 Chevy. Its not a stock or standard type bolt used in other industries.

Correct body mount Bolt/washer kits would be a great opportunity for someone to reproduce. At this point I have to try and find good used ones to replace 3-4 that aren't reusable.

Steve,

I've checked the major fastener companies websites and can't find the flange head reduced shank bolts in 7/16 that were used on older Rivs.

I find that a lot. You are right, every part is available for a 55 Chevy. Not sure the bolts you are looking for, but the best site for bolts is McMaster-Carr. Don't know if you looked there or not, but they are not automotive related, so most people don't know about them.

McMaster-Carr

Guest Rob J
Ugggghhhh....... OK. Hopefully I can keep the breakage to a minimum!

Of the 6 body bolts in the rear portion of the car, only two came out. The rest either broke, or spun the cage nuts, and I had to sawzall them. All four by the cowl broke. The front 2 came out with ease. Looks like some surgery is in order in the future for me. I don't own a welder, and have NEVER welded before, so I'll either have to learn, or pay someone to do it. My car will need some other sheet metal work as well, so I'm not looking too forward to this part.

BTW, when I built my Factory Five Cobra 6 years ago, lots of guys used Mcmaster-Carr. They are a good source.

And Jason, yes you are right. It is strange how nobody is making a body mount kit w/o the bolts. I may take photo of one of my good body mount bolts, and e-mail McMAster to see if they can match it.

Edited by Rob J (see edit history)

Good suggestion. I order from McMaster at least once a week at work. That was the first place I checked. I knew it wasn't looking good when they didn't have them. They are the best vendor I have ever dealt with. In the last 6 years I have never been told they were out of stock on something I needed from their catalog. MaMaster has got me items not in their catalog so its worth a try.

You can buy the flange head bolts but they don't have the larger diameter right under the head then smaller most of the was down. This design is probably to insure the bolt never touches the frame.

Rob,

I stick welded a few years at work for maintenace repair and then only for my own needs the past 15 years. I have never attempted welding sheet metal or used a MIG welder. I just bought a MIG 135 from Eastwood for $339 and free shipping on ebay. The reviews were outstanding so I thought it was a safe bet. Had to get a small bottle of 75%Argon/25%CO2 gas bought locally which was another $120 and you'll also need a auto darkening helmet which are around $60-$90 and thats all you need. If you have decent mechanical ability and it seems like you do, you can teach yourself to weld. There is a ton of info on the net to help you get started. Even the pros have to practice with a new welder to learn where the best settings are for a given thickness of metal.

This little welder is awesome and I am super impressed at the value. Excellent control and response to amp and wire feed changes. It has infinite adjustment on both controls and many others do not. I know I had welding experience but I was still amazed at how little time it took to get proficient with this machine. I have already paid for the welder in the first repair I did vs paying a shop to do it.

While I was watching the Royals game (KC beat Cleveland) I was browsing some old emails I've saved and ran across this one from 'Bernie.'

I replaced all of mine except the rearmost crossmember ones a few years ago. I just went to the local Chevy dealer and asked then to order some 1976 Chevy mounts. They came in and were a perfect match. The oval ones at the rear on my Riv were fine so I chose not to replace them. Not much load on them. The other eight were all squished down and soft like radial tires.

I'm betting there are probably any number of companies producing this product and they can be readily found. Don't know what Classic Buick charges for a set, what all is in it, nor do I know anything about an Impala kit, but this might be some good information for the future. I'm betting that who ever sells the Impala kits would also sell the proper bolts.

Ed