Edelbrock/Holley anyone?

petelempert

Anybody out there have any good luck with an Edelbrock or Holley carb on a 401? I've had the Carter off my 63 about a million times in the last 5 years. It's really finicky despite being professionally rebuilt by a guy I really trust. Runs too rich, cranky linkage, sticky choke...you name it, I've been through it. I even tried a Rochester a few years back. I'm losing faith and thinking about trying my luck with a brand new carb. I haven't done any research to find what will fit...if anything. I know most purists would disapprove, but I just want the thing to run right. Anybody? Thx PRL

My advice is to get another used AFB for a '63 and have it rebuilt by someone who really knows these carbs. That will perform better than any aftermarket "one size fits all" carb you can buy.

If choke is sticking, replace the bad choke pieces. If rich, check the jet sizes. Also check the little pistons that pull down the rods into the jets (power jets, I think) and the springs that pull them up, for wear. Are you sure your carb has the '63 number stamped into the base? Do you have stock cam?

The new Edelbrock is essentially an AFB body but the air filter horn on the top is not the same size as on the stock AFB, so your stock air filter will not work without modification. IDK anything about Holley.

Guest nickdaytona

If originality is gospel, then struggle on the rebuild. If not , then do yourself a BIG favour and buy a new carb. I went through this with my '70Chevelle and after putting on a new Holley it was instantly awesome

The air filter covers it anyway.

my $.02

Guest Silverghost

The Edelbrock Performer aftermarket carb is just an updated Carter AFB/AVS that is made for Edelbrock by Webber.

Both the Edelbrock aftermarket carb and original Carter are fine carbs. They are almost exactly the same !

I have both !

The Edelbrock has an electric automatic choke.

If I were you I would stick with the original Carter & have it properly rebuilt !

I have rebuilt & tuned these carbs many times~~~

These carbs have few issues !

They are spectacular performance carbs !

These are indeed great carbs !

You should NOT be having any of these problems with a properly rebuilt and tuned Carter AFB carb !

Find another carb rebuilder who actually knows these carbs and what he is doing !!!

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

There is absolutely NOTHING new available that will work anywhere near as well as your properly rebuilt original, WITHOUT major modifications (including some parts which will have to be acquired through an original "donor" and modified to fit the new).

Carter AFB's are some of the easiest carbs ever built to work on. However, if it doesn't work, anything can be frustrating.

Post some symptoms, and there are many here who can help.

OR

Give me a call (free advice - sometimes overpriced LOL) at 573-392-7378 (9-4 Mon-Wed central time).

Jon.

Guest REX STALLION

The original is the best by far, whereas the Edelbrock may seem the same,the linkage is all wrong for this application.You will go from one set of problems to a new set.I contemplated changing a few things on my `64 ... Headers,New Carb,electronic ignition , but decided to leave well enough alone.

Pete,

I ran a new (in the early 90's) Carter 9000 Series AFB on my '63 for a while. I switched back to a prefessionally rebuilt/restored OE AFB after running the new one for about 3 months. The fact that the kick down linkage wouldn't work properly, the electric choke warmed up / didn't warm up at the right pace, the OE air cleaner wouldn't fit, along with some other things led me back to the OE carb. You need to have a reputable rebuilder go through your carb, not just have a kit put in it. Call Jon; I've talked with him before and he's always given me excellent advice.

Ed

I'm going to do everything I can to keep the Carter. At this point, it's beyond my skill level but the local guy I've got working on it seems to think he's got it running right. He's really talented and a true old school mechanic. I'll find out in a few days. My last post was sort of the peak of my frustration level. You guys are correct that an aftermarket replacement isn't an easy switch and creates other issues. I'm used to working on a 302 Ford and a 350 Olds which have tons of aftermarket stuff that bolts right on and often improves on OEM parts. Much trail and error confirm that most the stuff that came original on my Riv are the way it should stay. I'm learning, but sometimes the urge to "start new" gets the better of me. Stay tuned for news on the latest rebuild. Thx PRL

Guest Riviator

My '63 was sold to me with an Edelbrock twelve years ago. I replaced it a couple of years ago with the next larger model and had no problem with the replacement. Some purists don't like the idea, but for someone with little carb experience, it was a painless exchange. And, on mine anyway, the kick-down works just fine. Maybe because the previous owner did it right the first time, I just don't know. I've been pleased with the new carb and would do the same again.