Anyone make/sell a Reatta patch?

Guest Kitskaboodle

Guest Kitskaboodle

Does anyone out there make/sell a Reatta "R" logo circular patch?

I'm already thinking of the multiple uses I could do with it such as

adding them to floor mats, hats, shirts, jackets, etc...

I'm thinking a quality 4 inch round Reatta patch would fit the bill nicely. :)

Another quick question......I will assume at this point that Buick

still owns the Reatta "R" as a copyrighted logo? :(

Kit

Guest Kitskaboodle

Thank you sir. :)

You're right..that's exactly what I'm looking for! :)

Unfortunatley, at that price I'll have to keep looking. :(

Too bad...they look great but at $26-27 each that is just too much! :(

The problem is I have a "champagne" car but am on a "beer" budget. :(

Kit

Guest TheShadow87

Craziest thing, I too recently thought, "I really want a patch of the Reatta emblem" and I come on here and someone has already asked. Better yet, it exists! That price is really steep, however...

Guest Kingsley

Car Motor Sports item looks good and worth replicating. While I respect what they have done, I question whether they have a lock on it although they have done some things under license with OLD GM.

My wife was involved with the Reatta logo wear a few years back and the price of the logo has a lot to do with the starburst......there is a lot of stitching there, which is machine time.

The bigger the logo gets, the cost goes up. If they could somehow use the burst color for the background, then it would be cheaper but probably not look as good.

I have the "R" logos for the 1988-1989 floor mats. They are the correct size and available in all mat colors (tan mats used tan stitching etc) they are $7.00 each or 4 for $25, price includes shipping.

post-30596-143138390599_thumb.jpg

When I read the first comments about the patch on Ebay being too high I thought it was a fair price but didn't comment.

After reading Barney's post I decided to add my two cents worth.

As you all know I sell my parts pretty cheap and every once in a while I tell a friend here about my prices and he thinks I a nuts. Very often it takes a lot of time to find out if I have the part, what the condition is of the part, take it off the car, box it up and then take it to the Post Office. This all takes time so when I sell as an example a fuel injection harness for $ 10 I have a lot of time involved but I still sell it for what I think the part is worth, not considering the time involved.

Even if the guy selling the patches on Ebay is doing it himself, there is a lot of time involved in making those patches. If he is paying someone then I would guess he is making about $ 5 per patch. For his $ 5 he is listing it, following up on the computer side of the sale, packaging it and then taking it to the Post Office to mail it. This all takes time.

The other morning I was on the computer for 4 hours stopping only twice to go and see if I had a part and the condition of the part. This all takes time. I never figure this time into my prices and that is why my friend thinks I am nuts. This time factor is also why I prefer emails as opposed to phone calls because I can do the emails at my convenience rather than at the convenience of the caller.

OK, while I am on my soap box I will go a little further.

A. I got an email from a person stating he wanted a wiper motor.

B. I replied I had one and a price.

C. He emailed back asking if it included the circuit board and wanted my phone number.

D. I emailed back saying did and since he was specific about wanting a motor didn't give my number figuring there was nothing that could have been added with a phone call.

E. Week later got an email simply wanting my phone number.

F. I have pictures on my computer of 80% of the Reatta parts but found I did not have one of the wiper motor so went out to get one off the shelf and take a picture. Found I did not have one on the shelf so decided to take one off a parts car to send to him and also have a picture. Had to clean 8 inches of snow off the parts car. Got the motor off partially and then dropped a wrench and it fell to the ground under the car. Now I had to go and find a jack, jack up the car buried in snow and slide under the car to retrieve my wrench. Got the motor off the firewall and sent him a picture but no phone number figuring there is nothing else I can provide.

G. Didn't hear from him again.

H.. Found out from Kinglsey the fellow really needs a wiper switch.

I. Emailed the person and they will be, I think, getting a switch from me.

J. I now have about 1 hour tied up with this person and may sell him a switch for my normal low price.

What I am actually doing here is procrastinating. It is about 2 above zero outside and I need to go out and do something productive but am putting it off as long as I can.:)

I don't know the person selling the patches and have never seen one but I think $ 26 is fair.

Edited by Jim (see edit history)

I roger Jim. What ever the guy charges is worth what ever he gets. I remember trying to do a group buy for both the engine dampening shock and then the inverters for the dash. Don't understand the lack of interest to buy stuff you WILL need one day, and these things are now made of unobtainiam.

And used parts...

I used to pull parts and have pretty much stopped except for a few exceptions. Unlike Jim I don't have 7 cars in my back yard, but have to go out to the u pick yard. It usually takes two trips, one to see if the part is still out there, and then back to tell the potential client it is there and then to go back out there to pull it, box it and mail it. Then if it is not pristine, I get a call back. Of the last three parts I pulled for others, I mailed back either entire refunds or refunds to my cost.

In other's defense some of this is self induced as I have also tried to help Roadmaster and Riv owners.

In closing the interior parts are usually good to very good, but not pristine [except for drivers doors and drivers seats they are mostly junk]. I won't pull exterior parts because to expect very good to pristine from a u pick yard in Wisconsin on a 20 plus year old car? come on...

So I leave that business for Jim or Steve or anyone else that wants to do it.

I know it sounds like I am complaining, I guess I am just explaining how hard it is to help others and still try to make a couple of bucks doing it...

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

Guest Kitskaboodle

My intention was not to slam the person who is selling them.

They looked really nice and I'm sure are top quality but I

do think for the average Reatta guy they're a little pricey unless

you really "gotta have it".

Kit

I suppose the colours and detail of the patch impact the production costs, but I know patches for our local car club in 4 or 5 colours cost a fraction of that. Also, most of the eBay sellers tend to factor a lot of their time and such into the packaging / mailing costs, although it has gotten better than it used to be.

I guess I hearken back to the days when eBay was getting going and it was more guys like Jim or Dave selling surplus stuff. It has now evolved into a business model with all that goes into it.

Folks like Jim and Dave have my gratitude in providing a service to car collectors without charging an arm and a leg. Others have just plain exhibited greed.

I do have to wonder if this particular patch is licensed. If it is, then I wonder how much the licensing fees may have done to put the price where it is.

Guest Road mister

Since reading I dug up the one that I found in my Reatta glove box when I bought it. I don't want to sell it but I thought I may pass on the photo if sombody wanted to compare it to whats out there, or to replicate it. The coin is to help with the scale. This one is about 1-3/4"

in diameter. I can see it working on a cap or a shirt.

post-63023-1431383907_thumb.jpg

Since reading I dug up the one that I found in my Reatta glove box when I bought it. I don't want to sell it but I thought I may pass on the photo if sombody wanted to compare it to whats out there, or to replicate it. The coin is to help with the scale. This one is about 1-3/4"

in diameter. I can see it working on a cap or a shirt.

That's a floor mat patch. While it is nice, it just doesn't have the pizzazz of the sunburst Reatta logo.

Just because the patch is worth the money doesn't mean that everyone's going to pay said price. It is most defiantly a nice patch, and well worth the money. However, most of us are just looking for a novelty item to stick on a hat or something, and aren't in a "gotta have it" frame of mind. if I had an extra $30 to throw around, or if I was dead set on making something with that patch, I would not hesitate to pay that price. However, I don't have either of those at the moment. In the future, we'll see.

Barney,,,

I think that your black patches just might look very decent on the head rests of a car with gray interior.....

I think that the ones currently (which I already have two of - don't remember where I obtained or how much I paid-have had them for 6-8 years probably) being discussed may be to large in diameter for the head rests, but I may be wrong - however comments would be appreciated.

Barney, I would like the diameter of the black patch if you can provide please....?

Thanks,

Nic

Yes, I had the present logo used on Reatta wear made up after we received authorization. I was very fortunate finding a producer who knew what she was doing and made the logo exactly as you see it on your car. The one provided by Motor Sports has a solid orange center when actually it is a sunburst with wedges of orange and yellow which, of course, takes more thread and time to sew. I have no idea if Carol, Reatta wear Chairman, sells the badge only or not, you will have to check with her. As a RDiv member you are able to purchase logoed items at a somewhat discounted rate on these quality items. Check the website at Reatta Division of the Buick Club of America.

Nancy Eaton