Another Duesenberg photo

db34

Guest Silverghost

Chris: Has this old beauty survived ? Does it still sport this great formal limo body ?

What is the wheelbase and length of that Duesey Chassis?

I'd bet it's second only to Father Divine's Duesenberg Model "J" in overall length !

I also like the fountain ~~~

But there are just too darn many steps going up to that front door...

I would buy the car~~~

But I will pass on the house !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

Guest ChrisSummers

West, it's my understanding that the car was in unsalvagable condition, hence the dismantling. Remember, they weren't always desirable...particularly the big formal ones, even the really, really pretty big formal ones. Gordon Buehrig actually patented the design for this car, which as you can see in the picture has an extended second cowl under the divider window. This allowed the car to have better proportions while still providing lots of legroom for the rear seat passengers. The car was a one-off and belonged originally to Victor Emanuel, a New York City businessman who later took over some of E.L. Cord's holdings.

Triple running board strips (in other words, the chrome rub strips on the running boards are divided into three sections) are USUALLY an indicator of LWB but not 100% reliable. I ran that though Randy Ema a couple years ago and he agrees, for what it's worth.

Edited by ChrisSummers (see edit history)

Looks like the car in the movie " It's a Wonderful Life" that the Sam Wainright character was being driven to Florida in when he stopped to see the George Bailey character in Bailey Park housing development. The movie was made in 1946. Good Christmas movie.

Looks like the car in the movie " It's a Wonderful Life" that the Sam Wainright character was being driven to Florida in when he stopped to see the George Bailey character in Bailey Park housing development. The movie was made in 1946. Good Christmas movie.

I was thinking the same thing. It was DEFINITELY a Duesenberg in the move...the taillight was as big as my head!

Here is a link to that Duesenberg in "Its a Wonderful Life". IMCDb.org: 1931 Duesenberg Formal Town Car Rollston in "It's a Wonderful Life, 1946" Actually a quite different car - note the exposed hinges. There are still some cars in that movie not yet identified. Any ideas from some of you antique experts - antique cars I mean not antique you.

http://www.imcdb.org/movie_38650-It-s-a-Wonderful-Life.html

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Guest ChrisSummers

The Duesenberg in "It's A Wonderful Life" was J-393 / 2422, which happily survives, restored, in long-term ownership in CA. The IMDB identification is wrong: it is a Murphy body restyled by Bohman & Schwartz. Most of the modifications were reversed later.