What the heck are these from!

Steve Moskowitz

Can you find out what the printing on the lenses say? They do LOOK LIKE Ryan, but the photos are pretty fuzzy. I'm curious about the horizontal line across the top of the lenses, which i don't see in the lights that Grandpa has on his post. I also don't recall seeing Ryan lights with that fancy-dancy sculpting on the back, but that may be an earlier version. I'm more familiar with seeing Ryan lights on Grandpa's Kissel and other Classics of the late 1920s, early 1930s.

• 2 weeks later...

They are Ryan Lites, but not the style fitted by the Kissel factory.

Kissel used the large flat style, smooth back Ryan Lites as a factory option from mid 1927 through 1928. (Kissel used a smaller version of the same light on the 1928 Model 6-70.) Mid 1927 saw the introduction of 19 inch wheels and the lowering of the fenders on the 6-55 Speedster. This meant that the Hall lights introduced in 1926 no longer fitted between the radiator shell and fender. All speedsters were fitted with Ryans at this time. The bell shaped side lights with port and starboard gems were continued for a short time. The introduction of the 8-65 in second half of 1927 (smaller 19 and 20 inch wheels) saw the Ryan Lite used across the whole range. The wheel diameter went to 18 inches in 1928 (except for the model 6-55) and the flat Ryan Lites were continued until the change in fender design in late 1928 when Kissel introduced a bell shaped Ryan Lite.

Cheers

John Lewis