Interesting vehicle on Ebay

Guest Paul Christ

Guest Robin Coleman

The transmissions appear to be Indian to me. Harleys have always had the drive sprocket on the same side as the driven sprocket except for the Sportsters, which were always unit construction (eng and trans in same cases). Indian trans had the drive sprocket on the right side and the clutch/ driven sprocket on the left as is pictured here.

This is not an early version or prototype of Molt Taylor's Aerocar. His engine was in the rear and the front axle was not solid as is this one. A two cylinder Onan would not have the power to make anything fly that was built as heavy as this frame. There are also no provisions for a tail or wings to attach, nor is the existing frame strong enough in critical areas to modify later for such fittings to be added. I also believe that had it ever been intended to fly, an aircraft engine would have been used from the outset for power.

My personal opinion is this is a one off shop made car. It was obviously made by someone with an extensive background in aviation though.

Wichita was the home of many aircraft companies at that time including Beechcraft Cessna Mooney and Stearman. The car could have been made as a prototype for a post WW2 reconversion project. Or possibly as a hobby by an aircraft mechanic.

There are photos of the people involved in the project. At least one of the photos has names on the back. It should be possible to trace them and figure out what kind of project it was.

The transmissions appear to be Indian to me. Harleys have always had the drive sprocket on the same side as the driven sprocket except for the Sportsters, which were always unit construction (eng and trans in same cases). Indian trans had the drive sprocket on the right side and the clutch/ driven sprocket on the left as is pictured here.

They look like Servicar transmissions to me. Drive in on the left, out on the right, unlike the BTs which were in and out on the left. Three speed and reverse also says HD trike to me.

Looks like an old farm stationary engine stuffed in it to me. Similer to a cushman of the 30's. Also, looks to be front wheel drive. Dandy Dave!

Cushman scooters never used the big, stationary engines like the Cushman Cub. They always used the smaller Husky engines until switching to the OMC engines in the 60s

These things are out there. One man's idea of transportation

I think it would look 'really good' in the back of that $800k pick-up thereby doubling the value of both ..... not by weight

Perhaps it's the time of year or the economy but drinking one's own bath water seems on the increase......

Cushman scooters never used the big, stationary engines like the Cushman Cub. They always used the smaller Husky engines until switching to the OMC engines in the 60s

Well I know that.... Look at it and tell me that it does not resemble an engine similar to the Cushman Cub farm engine. I didn't say a Cushman Cub on purpose because it has differences. And yes, cushman scooter engines were a whole different ball game. Dandy Dave!

Well I know that.... Look at it and tell me that it does not resemble an engine similar to the Cushman Cub farm engine. I didn't say a Cushman Cub on purpose because it has differences. And yes, cushman scooter engines were a whole different ball game. Dandy Dave!

It's an Onan opposed twin. It resembles an early Cushman engine in that it is a flathead and it runs on gasoline. I'm sorry, but it in no way looks like a Cub

It's an Onan opposed twin. It resembles an early Cushman engine in that it is a flathead and it runs on gasoline. I'm sorry, but it in no way looks like a Cub

Onan..., I'll buy that. I searched the web and could not find any photos of an early pre war, war time, or late 1940's Onan engine. The history that I could find pointed toward Onan producing generator sets.

My reference to Cushman was that at a glance it looks like an engine with a hopper and a flywheel, it ends there. The problem is that a Cusman Cub would never have enough power to pull this car around with any speed or efficiancy. Sometimes it is fun to just throw someting out there just to get the knowlege flowing.

I have an air cooled onan twin in the back yard in an old road sweeper, but it is much to new to resemble this early type. Anyone have any pre war photos of an early Onan twin? Would you agree that the engine appears to be a twin cylinder opposed? Looking closely, there appears to be a second cylinder to the rear. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

Daaaahooooooo. I just had a Homer moment. I didn't go to the ebay link and thought it was just a single picture being sold. :o ..... this thing still exists. :eek: Forgive me great and almighty powerful ones of thy AACA forum... feelin just a little stupid at the moment. :P mmmmmmmmm. Duff and Donuts. :D Dandy Dave!

Now that I have looked at the ebay link, I can clearly see that it is an Onan that is very similar to the one in that old road sweeper out back. Looks like the "fly wheels" are torque converters coupled to twin transmissions. Look Ma, no clutch. :D Wild man :cool: Dandy Dave!