1923 6 cylinder block

Thriller

Hi all. Unfortunately, I haven't spent much time in this forum in the past while...life got busy, so less time on the computer meant something had to give.

I'm contemplating a purchase of a '23, but the block is cracked. There was a repair attempted and failed. I don't know if it would be repairable by someone with more skill or not.

My question would be how hard would it be to find one of these? I definitely haven't looked at all. Based on a book I have, the 6 cylinder had the same displacement from 1918 to 1923, so if it is the same engine, it would give a broader source from which to obtain one. If anyone has one kicking around, what would it take to obtain it? Part of what I'm trying to do is add up the costs associated with the purchase and completion of this unit...the more information I have, the better argument I can make in trying to CONvince the wife to let me spend the money on the main purchase.

Thanks.

Derek, there are block repair folks out there. Should be one or two in your area. If it is a crack or a split in the block, which is not at a corner or end, then it is a easier repair. Usually, the block is heated and the welding repair is made. The issue is all the moving and transporting, which certainly adds to the cost. Better if you find a place locally if you can. How is the car otherwise? A basket case?

They are great cars. Let us know more.

Hi, Thriller. Belated Haqppy U.S. Thanksgiving and really belated Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! I wonder how many got your comment on Rick Young's post about having to wait eleven months to see his new toy.

How about a little more information about this 23? Such as the model, condition, etc. And, if you buy it, will you be driving it to the Spring Extravaganza?:eek:

Thanks for the responses, PMs, and e-mails. This was about the '23 truck in the Buick Trucks thread in the Buick - General forum. It is for sale NW of Flint. I got a response today from a fellow I contacted through the roster with a '23 4SD truck. The information he provided me with confirmed that this was a car that was converted to a truck. The 1936 Michigan title lists it as a truck, but it started life as a model 47 sedan. My way of thinking is that I would much rather have a genuine Buick truck, combined with the needed engine repair and asking price allows me to pass this one up. I haven't notified the seller yet, since I just got this information today, but it does mean I don't have to risk angering Suzanne by spending money that is not necessarily discretionary right now.

Derek...sounds as though you are passing on this "23 truck" pending price I may be interested as I was going to make my 22 parts vehicle into a truck...this might be the easier may to go. If you can send me the contact info/price etc I would appreciate it

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Like our friend Mr. Thiller, I too have been away from the Forum for many months now, just crazy here. But I did see his post on a 1923 block. Looks like you walked away from the vehicle Thiller but I do know where there is a 1923 jug. I liked the discussion on the starter generators too. From my limited work on these on the 6 cylinders, they are specific, year to year. Always available on my email (I read that about once a day), but not retired like Larry so the Forum is just hard to get to because when I do get out on it, I want to read and write too much so I have to stay off it! Mark Shaw knows how to find me. Merry Christmas guys!

Brian