Another Can you identify this

Guest FredDwyer

Guest FredDwyer

I continue to digitize photo's from my grandfather's early 20th century negatives. You helped recently by identifying a 1916 Willys Overland Touring car in which my mother, at about age 4, appears in the back seat. I do so appreciate your expert help. Now I'm afraid I'm about to ask a tougher question. I have a series of pictures of a parade which I estimate to have taken place around 1910. There are 3 realatively clear images of cars. If you can tag any of these with a model year, I'll know the photo is no older than that. Of course, since auto's at that time did not get annual redesigns, I expect that answering this question with any certainty will be very difficult. Now lets see if I can manage to attach the 3 images.:confused:

post-42440-143138358369_thumb.jpg

post-42440-143138358373_thumb.jpg

post-42440-143138358379_thumb.jpg

Guest BobD735

It's very fuzzy, but photo #2 looks like a 1917 Chalmers 7-passenger touring. Notice the "double cowl" behind the front driver and passenger.

Ref: "70 Years of Chrysler", page 105.

Bob

Guest FredDwyer

You folks are doing it again, helping me to reconstruct some of my family history. It's greatly appreciated and I hope more people will leave their comments. For now I'm convinced that the picture dates no earlier than 1915 and may well be at least 1917. That said I thought you might like to see the overall photo's from which these pictures were enlarged.

post-42440-143138358727_thumb.jpg

post-42440-14313835873_thumb.jpg

Edited by FredDwyer (see edit history)

Guest FredDwyer

Amateur snapshots, but my grandfather was serious about photography for his whole life. These are 3" x 5" negatives, most likely shot on a tripod. Definately not from a box Brownie. I don't know what camera he was using then, but from the '40s through the '60s it was Leicas and Speed Graphics.

Guest De Soto Frank

In the vertical shot, a ways behind the big touring car appears to be a black-radiator Ford, so that indicates the photo was taken no earlier than 1917 ?

Great photos ! Love those wonderful old s-l-o-w speed films ( possibly plates) and large format cameras... still use them myself from time to time.

:cool:

Assuming your eyes are better than mine (EVERYBODY'S eyes are better than mine!) and that it really IS a black-radiator Ford, the picture could still be from late 1916. According to Bruce McCalley, author of "Model T Ford, the Car that Changed the World", the black-radiator 1917 models were introduced in August, 1916.

Gil Fitzhugh, Morristown, NJ

Guest FredDwyer

The Boston sign is for the Boston Store. In Worcester, MA, the largest department store was Denholm & McKay, also known as "The Boston Store" even though it had no business connection with Boston. As a matter of fact, I worked there as a stock boy during my Junior and senior years in high school.

Guest FredDwyer

Is this the car you believe to be a black radiator model T? Is that really black?

I have made another discovery which seems to finally date the picture. Since you put me on the right track regarding probable years, I have found a Buffalo Bill show schedule. Remember, my grandfather labeled this series of pictures "Buffalo Bill Parade." The last year was 1916, Buffalo Bill died in January of 1917. The show toured Massachusetts from 6/7/1916 through 7/4/1916. During that time they list play dates in 13 towns and cities. In Boston they played a full week (6 days, Sundays off) all others were for 1 day with no days off betwen cities. Oddly, Worcester, the second largest city in the state is not listed, although they had played in Worcester a number of times in earlier years. However, as the show moved across the state West to East, they played in Springfield on the 8th and Webster on the 10th. Where were they on Friday the 9th? Traveling from Springfield to Webster would have taken them through Worcester. With your automobile dateing, this has to be it, anyway it's the best I'm going to do and I feel pretty comfortable with June 9, 1916. Thanks to one and all. Does anyone see any major flaws in this "leap of faith" conclusion?

post-42440-143138359517_thumb.jpg

Guest BobD735

Fred,

I did further research after reading your concluding entry.

Regarding my input to your photo #2, I discovered in "The Automobile" publication, dated July 6, 1916, a Pantasote ad on page 97. The ad in part reads..."They are giving buyers of the Chalmers 7-22 (7-passenger, 122" wheelbase) the top material used on the most expensive cars...

This to me indicates that the "double cowl" 7-passenger had already been on the market in 1916.

Guest De Soto Frank

Fred,

Since you enlarged the car I was referring to, it looks less like a "black radiator Ford" (1917-1925), and more like a "brass-radiator" Ford it does appear to have electric headlamps, which puts it between 1914(?)-1916 ?

The car behind it is definitely a brass-radiator T...

Regards,

Frank

Guest De Soto Frank

I wonder if any of our license plate experts can ID the year(s) of the plate on the touring car in photo #2 at the top of this thread ?