Restore or leave as is

Guest 1929model75

Guest 1929model75

I sure wish it could talk for some reason I have a feeling the car spent most of its life about 30 miles from my house. I bought it off a dealer in Rhode Island. There is a keychain from Scranton Pa in the ignition thats what gives me the feeling. To motorvehicles cant trace the lic plates on it. I called a friend in the state police he said the only way they would even try to trace it is if it was involved in a murder or robbery.

Guest 1929model75

Im sorry just cant bring myself to restore I once had a 30 Chrysler CJ that was original drew as much attention as my senior winning 29 roadster. I think its neat thats the paint and stripe it left the factory with 80 yrs ago. Beside it would cost way more to restore then the car is worth. I know of nice # 2 cars bringing in the 25k range. Its like the 30 31 cadillac on the other forum You could make the car a driver and have the same money you have in a model A. I thank you for your thoughts and I agree it sure would be an easy resto. But the chrome alone would kill you. Call me cheap but it will stay just the way it is for now if its condition worsens then I say restore.

• 4 weeks later...

Leave it alone and enjoy it. Take it to shows and you'll be a big hit with everybody except the Judges. You don't need another bowling trophy with

a car on top anyway. It's funny how we all dream of the perfect barn find

and then ruin it by restoring it.

I hope AACA adds a class for these vehicles. HPOF doesn't fit because the judges will say it's not preserved. For me, if it's original and running it's

truely a survivor.

post-32318-143138384904_thumb.jpg

Guest Kingoftheroad
Leave it alone and enjoy it. Take it to shows and you'll be a big hit with everybody except the Judges. You don't need another bowling trophy with

a car on top anyway. It's funny how we all dream of the perfect barn find

and then ruin it by restoring it.

I hope AACA adds a class for these vehicles. HPOF doesn't fit because the judges will say it's not preserved. For me, if it's original and running it's

truely a survivor.

Amen to that !! A car is only original once !!

I love seeing an original car regardless of how imperfect it is, its interesting to see how the old girl has weathered the years.....

• 2 weeks later...

You know I'm confused. I just read the Judging rules recently and left it feeling there is a lot of ambiguity pertaining to "preserved" and "original". Or what is referred to as reference works.

I believe over the last 15-years or so a concentrated push has been made in perception that if a car is not a rolling rotisserie job then somehow it should be and why is it not completely restored?

Starting about 20 years ago or so people thought you somehow just had to take an "old" car and completely restore it nut to bolt. I can remember people never mentioning about how neat this time capsule is or wow this car is completely original survivor. In fact the word "survivor" was never mentioned as I recall.

But in recent days there are so few truly untouched original finds available that I think in the last few years a new conscientious is emerging toward the importance and uniqueness of an untouched original car and the true importance and value they represent.

What can we do to ensure that a entirely new class of judging be put into form and action to create such a platform for cars like this and others which they now more than ever justly deserve?

Leave it alone. Clean her up. Get her mechanically sound and enjoy!!

Thats why my '30 CJ Sedan is still "unrestored" after owning it for 35 years. I always wanted a 100 point car and that ain't going to happen. But i'll be close. I'm just now putting her back together after "restoring" an original car that had a lousy repaint. It's a lot easier to take it apart than to put it back together. ( I may even put the original interior back in mine and throw a blanket over the ratty front seat).

Clean her up. Put some make up and lipstick on her and ride her around and let people marvel at her natural, unadulterated beauty, in the aging process.

If you think about it.....Automobiles are like women. Some of them are just too pretty. If you park your car next to a 100 point car of the same model I'll fall in love with yours.

My 2 cents.

Bill H