1923 Buick Coupe 23-4-36

Guest Steve Scheidt

Guest Steve Scheidt

We recently purchased a 1923 Buick Coupe and are beginning restoration, but need some help. We found the body type in the book "Seventy Years of Buick" on page 83. Our car has two doors, "suicide style", and we can't seem to find further information about the car. The truck lid is missing and we can't seem to find photos or any information about what it looked like. Could it have been a rumble seat? Is there anyone who can help us? Thank you, Steve

Steve,

If you can get a copy of the Standard Catalog of Buick 1903-1990, you will find, on page 167, a photo of a 1922 Coupe, model 36, which is quite similar, as I understand. It also indicates there were 7004 of the 1923 Model produced and it is listed as a 3 passanger coupe. Model 48 was a 4 passenger coupe.

I think what you might have is a car that was used during WW-II, where the trunk lid was removed and onverted to a pick-up truck, as many were. Some of the structural components may also have been altered.

I am not sure where you reside, but I know a restoration shop in CT that has fabricated parts to the original for his own trunk on a roadster. Perhaps he can help you. Let me know.

John

Guest Steve Scheidt

We found a Standard Buick Catalog on line ond have it ordered. When I wrote my first message I misspelled trunk and typed truck. This car has not been altered at all..it is just missing the trunk lid. Opps. Sorry. We'll keep in touch and let you know how the restoration progresses. Chances are we are going to need more help. This is our first project!

Steve

Steve ...I have a rough trunk lid extra from my 1921 model 44 roadster ...your welcome to it to fix or use as a pattern there is no hinge or latch hardware though....measure your opening I'll see if it fits.

I'm not familar with a model 36...suicide doors???

Guest Steve Scheidt

Tom, I will measure the trunk and let you know if yours will fit. Really appreciate your help.

Mark, Thanks for giving us the contact info.

We'll take a photo of the car and post it this weekend. This is great to have all this help. Amazing what's out there.

Steve

1923 Buick Coupe 23-4-36