mechanic

Guest rumleigh

Guest rumleigh

I live in Palm Harbor Florida & I am looking for a honest mechanic to work on my 1990 Buick Reatta-please advise-need help!!!:mad:

Guest rumleigh

I just need an honest mechanic-Jim Finn who is VP of this site has been getting me my parts for years-just paid out 1000$ for repairs here local in Florida-ignition module is finally what they found at 2nd place I took it-Buick of Palm Harbor-398$ for part-total bill 658$-Jim said this was robbery-but I had no where else to go-1st place did not even fix problem & charged me 360$-needless to say I am very upset-thanks for responding-I find the new changes to this site hard to use-could you just email me-sly222scole@yahoo.com-I use to live in Oviedo-Jim said he knew someone in Orlando-is that you-if anything major came up again it would be worth it to talk to you at least or big the car over if you work on Reatta's-thank you Sandy

Padgett and others.

I talked to Sandy today. Her car will start and run but very often when she is driving it, the engine will just die. She has the car at a GM dealer and she has a good ECM in the trunk but they will not install it saying they will only put in new parts. She said something about $ 400.

In talking to her it sounds like they just don't want to work on the car and if they do, they want to start throwing parts at it and charging her for every one. Them not wanting to put in a used part is just a line to get her to spend more money or get her out of their shop because they do not want to work on an "old" car. I have sold quite a few used parts to GM dealerships so they can install them on their customers cars.

My guess would be a bad ignition module plugged fuel filter, fuel pump or maybe a bad battery cable but she needs a small shop that will work with her and not gouge her.

Edited by Jim (see edit history)

Sent an e-mail. Would be glad to look at it if can make it here (if she is in Palm Harbor over by Tampa, it is about 100 miles). 89REATTAJIM should be close by, maybe he knows someone.

Frankly, it makes me made anytime I hear of anyone (and usually a woman) being taken advantage of by a dealer/shop. The 3800 powertrain used in the Reatta is probably the most commmon used by GM and any GM mech should know how to work on it.

Sent an e-mail. Would be glad to look at it if can make it here (if she is in Palm Harbor over by Tampa, it is about 100 miles). 89REATTAJIM should be close by, maybe he knows someone.QUOTE]

I sent an Email too. Advised of a shop that Larry (from Silver Spgs) uses for his 90 Reatta....... Jim

Guest rumleigh

thank you Jim Finn & Jim in Orlando-they got me I know-but not next time-thank you so much for responding-I will call if any more big problems-hope nothing because the 1000$ is enough on a fixed income-Buick gave me a real hard time about picking car up this morning-I know just because I said anything & was arguing with them-car is home now & thank you for responding again-since I moved from Indiana back to Florida I had forgotton how helpful & kind this site is-esp. women who don't have a clue-which is me. Sandy

Sounds like GM missed shutting down one of their dealers.

Funny thing is that I have had local GM dealers happily install parts that I provided. They don't warranty the part of course. And I have also had independents refuse to install parts I want to provide. They obviously didn't need my business.

Wouldn't know, think the last time I took a GM car to a dealer was around 1997 (and told me everything was fine when registering 19 psi max oil pressure and two cam bearings in pan - amazing thing is that was still running fine and quiet 1,000 Interstate miles later when got home. I really like 3800s).

This is an interesting discussion.

I was a full time worker who really had to have a good mechanic. My local shop just couldn't handle the electronics on the Reatta, so expecting the worst I went to the local Buick Dealer. They fixed everything that ever went wrong at a reasonable price.

The kicker is tht THEY lost their Buick dealership franchise in the changes. They are still around selling good used cars and the SMART car quite successfully. I f I still had the Reatta, I'd go there.

Tom Thomas

Guest rumleigh

After paying 1000$ out last week the car still having a problem-which I did tell the Buick dealership about-they assured me car engine was dry & no leaks but as soon as I got it home-same leak-not related to the ignition module that was put in-the fluid is clear to greenish cast brownish oily substance-I have a stained carport & fluid takes the poly. sealer off-had seen same last year & was compresser on air conditioner which was out of warrenty by one month so had to pay 300$ for new one but no labor-was a whole new system the year before-1200$-starting to put too much money in this car it seems-maybe need to get rid of it????

I think word of mouth on the street is a good way to find one. See a car simular or related to yours on the street, catch up at a red light or parking lot and ask where they take their car. Heck leave a note if it's parked. Soon you'll get an idea of who's good in your town.

The Car Talk section of Cars.com has a "find a mechanic" section