Sidemount Lock

50jetback

I've posted this on the general what is it site but thought I would give all my Pre War Buick site friends a crack at it.

My 1936 Buick has twin sidemounts.

I have 2 sidemount locks but only 1 is Buick.

So - can anyone identify the sidemount lock in the attached photo.

It fits but is smaller than the Buick lock.

Would like to ID it so I can advertise on the appropriate site ( Olds? Chev? Pontiac? Dodge? or even the dreaded Ford? ) and hopefully swap it for another 1936 Buick lock.

There's a beer in it for correct identification ( next time I'm over your way ).

post-31244-143138328495_thumb.jpg

post-31244-143138328497_thumb.jpg

Some of you might choke, but I had an almost exact lock on the left on my 1964 Corvair Monza to keep the spare tire safe in the engine compartment. It fit over a special stud so it could not be unbolted from the storage area. It looked like the left lock, but had a door key in it to operate the lock like the lock on the right. I will look around and if I can find it I will post a pix.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Actually in the Old Torque Tube magazines for the old 37-38 club they mentioned the Covair used the same lock as a 37-38 Buick (i.e. the right lock). According to the TT it was the exact same cast and guys were finding them left and right at Covair flea market vendors and buying them cheap (this was 25+ year ago too)

Thanks Larry, Brian and Bob.

Yes Larry, had a look on eBay and a Corvair lock looks very similar except for the keyhole cover ( which mine has never had ).

As I mentioned this lock does fit the 1936 Buick spare wheel clamp retaining nut, the only problem is the mounting bolt protrudes too far and on the Buick lock bolt and the threaded part needs to protrude as it does on the open top of the Buick lock.

Bob the key is marked HURD which from the What is It site has been identified by a couple of helpful members as being used on late 30's and 40's Ford/Mercury.

Don't like my chances of finding a Ford owner with a 1936 Buick lock to swap!!

At least the lock is identified and I owe you all a beer.

Cheers

Being the owner of many Corvairs..... I don't think the Corvair lock will (always) fit a late design Buick side mount. It might work on side mounts up to '35 (I think that was the last of the early design mount)

The logic.... As Larry said, the Corvair lock fit on the head of a special bolt that had an undercut... note that the Corvair does not have a thru hole for the bolt/stud.

The (late) Buick lock must slide over the threaded rod that the special undercut nut screws on.

If the nut were at the very end of the threaded rod, the Corvair might work but most that I have seen will have some amount of threaded rod coming out the back of the nut and since the Corvair lock is a blind hole, it would not work on the Buick