Crusing the streets, Nagoya, Japan style

R Walling

Guest Kingoftheroad

Wow, I didn't realize there were so many of our "Yank Tanks" over there. Plus, I didn't think our big cars would fit on their roads full of little cars...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lucerne

American automobile folkart has clearly made its impression, Scenes reminded me of Wed. night cruise night I observed in L.A , summer of '79 on Van Nuys Blvd.

Great video! Reminded me when I was a kid watching the cars going up and down 4th Street in San Rafael, CA while we were watching George Lucas filming American Graffiti. 40 years ago! Wow!

Jay

1931 Cadillac 355A Town Sedan

1934 Buick 40

1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Sunliner

• 9 months later...
Guest northpacific
I didn't think our big cars would fit on their roads full of little cars...

While Nagoya didn't suffer as much "collateral damage" as Tokyo during WW2, Japanese cities were re-modelled post-War by Army engineers from the mid-west who bulldozed those main streets W - I - D - E ( ! ) Pretty rare to find a side street too small to get a Cadillac down now, streets are modeled on being able to get fire trucks through; access to buildings must be wider than 3 meters ( about 10 feet ) now for emergency service vehicle access

Huge USA car + motorcycle scene in Japan now; tho' it is very difficult to import + license a Pre-WW2 vehicle

Some of the pre-1945 cars you see in the video have later model chassis + running gear so a 1938 Chev, becomes a "1973" with a '73 chassis + running gear; while some others are run occasionally on "karinumba" temporary plates, which is quite legal if you have insurance + the car is otherwise up to a legal standard

If you look carefully, you'll see 4-5 cars that have the temporary tag, which has a red stripe running diagonally across the 'plate

GW

Edited by northpacific (see edit history)