Draining lever shocks?

Aaron65

I had the shocks on the '53 rebuilt 4 years ago, and they don't seem very effective; however, on cold mornings the thing rides like a dream. I can only figure that since cold oil is thicker, some thicker oil may help. I'd like to drain these things and fill them with maybe some heavier motorcycle fork oil...any ideas on how to drain them? Any alternative ideas are welcome, and I'm not above pulling them off to drain them from the filler either. :) Thanks!

Guest Oldie & Goodie

Aaron,

I too would be interested to know where you had yours rebuilt. Couple of $$ I've seen range from $500 to $750 for all 4. Seems a bit high but then again I'm new to the game so I don't know if that's out of line or not?

Brian

Edited by Oldie & Goodie
Added name (see edit history)

I had the shocks on the '53 rebuilt 4 years ago, and they don't seem very effective; however, on cold mornings the thing rides like a dream. I can only figure that since cold oil is thicker, some thicker oil may help. I'd like to drain these things and fill them with maybe some heavier motorcycle fork oil...any ideas on how to drain them? Any alternative ideas are welcome, and I'm not above pulling them off to drain them from the filler either. :) Thanks!

Remove the shock from the car, then remove the compression and rebound valves for inspection, draining and cleaning. You then need to refill the lower cylinders. Putting fluid in the reservior at the top will not get to the lower cylinders for a long time. After installing the rebound valve assembly (on the bottom), clamp the shock in a vise with the compression valve opening facing up. Add fluid slowly while moving the arm slowly until full and considerable resistance is felt. Install the compression valve assembly and then add fluid to the upper reservior. I use hydraulic jack oil with good results.

I once tried motorcycle fork oil and it made the shocks so stiff I broke a link. Not much goes wrong with these shocks except for leaks. I don't think you can wear them out unless run dry for a long time.

Willie

I've read that one. The idea of cutting the shock arm gives me the willies. :(

"the willies"

I get it. Good one.

I used Willies procedure with good success with one variation. I did not split the arm but instead used a heavy truck tie rod end puller. I positioned the shock/arm assembly into the puller and clamped the puller in the vise to prevent it from opening up(spreading). It was stuburn but it did come apart.

Unfortunately I did this some months ago and did not get photos.

I think I provided the tool manufacturer and number in a different thread some months back. I am not at work today so I can't get the exact number for you. I would think most any 2500 series truck tie rod puller would work though.

Other than that the procedure Willie has outlined on his website worked well.

Hope that helps and good luck with your shock reseal,

Rich