47 Ford sits too high in front - how to fix?

Fred Zwicker

I recently purchased a very nice 1947 Ford Convertible at the Glenmoor Auction a couple of weeks ago. The car was originally delivered to the American Embassy in China when new and had heavier suspension to handle the rough roads in China at the time. It seems to ride nice and smooth at present, but sits too high in front.

I feel that the car needs to be lowered in front about 2" (rear seems OK). 1947 Fords had the "buggy springs", one in front and one in the rear (not coil springs or leaf springs). We were thinking of two ways to lower the car that come to mind:

1) Remove one or more leafs from the front spring. (If so, which ones?)

2) Add longer shackles in front - Present shackles are about 2" center to center on the shackle bolts.

Attached are three pictures - the first picture shows the car as it is now. The second picture is the same exact picture, but I moved the front wheels up a bit in photo-shop to approximately where I think they should be (HAG method). The third picture shows a rear view. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated, as we want to get to this after Hershey.

Thanks, Fred

post-48037-143138315398_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138315401_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138315404_thumb.jpg

Guest Silverghost

Are you sure that the REAR springs are not the real problem?

The rear looks a bit low to me !

I would deal with the rear springs

as they appear to have sagged.

This car should not be low riders like modernstreetrods .

The rear springs are always a possibility, and I thank you for this idea. However, I do not feel that the rear sits too low, as have a side view picture of an almost identical 1947 Mercury convertible with skirts and the bottom of the skirts is just about the center (or slightly below center) of the rear hubcap and appears to be the identical rear height as my 1947 Ford. (The front of the Mercury sits lower however). I have not yet removed the skirts yet, but feel that fender skirts do make a car appear lower in the rear.

I may want to count the leafs in the springs for comparison and will do so soon, as possibly someone at Hershey may know the correct spring size and count. I may also talk to the guys at Bob Carpenter and/or other Ford parts suppliers for their input. However, the history of the car being delivered to the American Embassy in China has been documented, and I have to go with the auctioneer's statement that the car was built with heavier suspension from the factory unless I can determine otherwise.

Since the car rides so well, I am reluctant to remove leafs from the springs, but it wouldn't be hard to add longer shackles in the front to see what it does to the height. If I don't come up with anything else, may try this after Hershey as this could be done easily and quickly.

Thanks, Fred

Today I checked the springs and shackles on this 47 Ford Convertible.

Front and rear springs each have (11) eleven leafs and the Shackles (front and rear) each measure 2-1/2" from center to center of bolts. Since the car is sitting about 2" high in front, am wondering if a few leaves of the front spring could be removed? However am concerned about the ride, as it presently rides better than other Fords of this vintage that I have driven. I am leaning towards adding to the length of the front shackles (might try 5" shackles). This would be a lot easier than messing with the spring. Front end will need aligned afterwards if this works.

I also measured from the bottom edge of the shackle to ground:

Front is 8"

Rear is 9-3/8"

Center of spring measurments from floor to underside of spring at center:

Front from floor to bottom center of spring is 12-3/8"

Rear from floor to bottom center of spring is 13-3/4"

Front: I also measured from floor to underside of front fender at center: 30-5/8"

Rear: Measured from floor to underside at center of skirt: 13-5/8"

I am hoping to be able to lower the front of the car by about 2 to 2-1/2" to make it sit normal. Thanks for the input so far. Attached picture was taken today in our car museum at work. See www.tpcarcollection.com for other pictures.

Fred

post-48037-14313831628_thumb.jpg

Guest billybird

Also; take a look at the front shock links-how long are they? The shocks themselves could need the arms adjusted. Shocks could be froze it the up position. See that the spring center bolt is properly seated its frame hole. These are some more things to check and I'm assuming you have the original style shocks.

You do not know which springs might have been used. It may have the incorrect springs and there are a LOT of possibilities.

Find a copy of the Ford Green part book. That lists the correct springs and which spring leafs make up the spring.

Yes, the correct spring leafs too. Ford used different thickness springs too. So just because you count the correct amount of springs that does not mean it is the correct spring for the application.

Then throw in springs that are rusty between the leaves so they do not function properly, worn springs, bad shocks and wrong parts.

Get the Green book and talk to someone in the Ford V8 club that knows the parts. There are too many variables and an inexperienced person could quickly get things mixed up and really wrong.

Guest De Soto Frank

Fred,

A by the Sea's suggestion is a good one...

I would have suggested finding another complete, correct spring assembly and just swapping-out the complete unit.

If your car was indeed ordered with special suspension, and this what is causing it to sit high, then that is part of this car's history, and should not be altered... if you are inclined to make a "bolt-on" change (reversible) for more conventional appearance, I would keep the original components to go back on the car or go along with at a later date.

For what it's worth, Plymouth and possibly other MoPars were available through 1948 with a special "mailman's suspension" which included a solid I-beam axle and 18" wheels & tires for use on un-improved roads.

PS: There's an original '39-'40 La Salle convertible-coupe, maroon w/ tan top here in Scranton...

Guest billybird

The Green Book lists two possible front spring assemblys for 42-48 passenger cars. 11 leaves with cover part# 59A-5310A ; also 12 leaves with cover part# 59A-5310B. This is the front spring assembly part#s. The individual leaves also had a part# for each one.

Thanks everyone for the information. I copied all of my measurements and am taking these measurements to Hershey, along with a measuring tape and flashlight and if I see any 1946-48 Fords, will see how they compare. When I counted the leaves, there seemed to be 11, but hard to count the top one. I took these measurements while laying on the ground, so will put the car on a lift later and take a closer look. I also may stop at Carpenter's tent to see what they can offer.

I received the title today and got temporary plates, so after Hershey will take it on the road for a test drive and see if the ride is as good as it was driving around the roads at the Glenmoor show. If so, I will be very reluctant to remove any spring leaves. This gets back to longer front shackles, which is an easy fix and quickly reversible at a later date. The front shocks seem to be original (long arm type), but I am not aware of any adjustments and do not see how these could possibly hold the weight of the car up so high.

Here are some pictures taken yesterday of the front spring and shackle area.

Fred

post-48037-143138316838_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138316841_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138316844_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138316847_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138316849_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138316852_thumb.jpg

Looking at the rear spring and the position of the end of the spring on the shackle and the general curve of the spring, I would agree with Silverghost.

I would think that the shackle would be more vertical and the end of the spring would closer to the shackle.

If you were to jack up the center of the spring to get the spring to curve more without the car weight, does the spring end come to the shackle and the shackle become vertical? Does the rear match height with the front?

This look comes from the replacement of the rear spring in my Corvette which has generally similar set up.

Guest Silverghost

If you do find that the rear springs have flattened out you can have them re-arched at a good spring shop .

I still believe your rear springs are causing the problem here !

Thanks everyone - I think progress is being made, thanks to so much help.

My last post (with pictures) said they were front photos, but they were mixed. Accordingly, for further clarification, I carefully checked the pictures that I took and have marked them "Front" and "Rear" for identification. Maybe this will help. The first step (after Hershey) will be to jack up the center of the rear spring to see if this brings down the front somewhat. Based on this discussion, feel that this will do the trick, and if so, I can then proceed to having the rear spring re-arched.

In addition to the front & rear underside pictures, am again attaching the side view picture as the car now sits. It seems to look like a car that has a trunk full of heavy stuff, so am starting to agree that the problem could be the rear spring. While I do not know the history of the car, it is very possible that in the past the front spring was replaced and the rear spring not replaced. Anything is possible. In spite of this, the car rides quite nicely, especially considering it has buggy springs that Ford used for so many years.

I wonder why the spring sagged? Shouldn't this be covered under extended warranty? It has only been 63 years. LOL

Fred

post-48037-143138317222_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138317225_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138317227_thumb.jpg

post-48037-14313831723_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138317232_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138317235_thumb.jpg

post-48037-143138317237_thumb.jpg

Guest bofusmosby
Tying my mother in-law to the front bumper might help.....:D:D:D:D

I'm sorry I couldn't resist. I like mother in-law jokes.:P:p

Either that, or get her out of the trunk!:D

It appears to be fitted with a heavy duty front spring from a pickup.

I have a 1947 Mercury and it sits lower in the front than yours and it does not have that second main leaf that yours has.

This is the leaf shown in your photo that sticks out past the shackle at each end.

I would remove that one and see what that does to the stance. It will certainly ride softer.

I also would not be putting longer shackles on it as this will promote side sway in the body and is definitely not a safety option.

I have added two photos of an original Mercury convertible which I think has about the right ride height.

David

post-58798-143138317876_thumb.jpg

post-58798-14313831788_thumb.jpg

Thanks a lot David,

I am glad that I posted the additional pictures, and am in hopes that your idea works, so after Hershey will get on this soon. If the car was originally supplied with heavier suspension for roads in China as claimed, it is possible that a heavier spring was installed from the factory, or that an extra leaf was added. I still want to raise the back of the car with a jack to see what happens first, but am thinking that your analysis is correct.

Possibly others may have run into this in the past and will comment.

That sure is a fine Mercury that you have. I haven't seen one of these in that condition for many years - it is absolutely beautiful!

Fred

Hi Fred, the Mercury in the photos is not my car and I agree it is very nice. The color suits it perfectly. I included them because the angle of the photos show that if you draw a straight line along the chrome sill moulding it strikes the centre of both front and rear wheels. Yours seems to be below the centre in the back and above the centre in the front.

I also would like to correct my statement that my car didn't have the second main spring leaf like yours.

I have had another look at it and it does have that leaf but it appears to be thinner than yours and it is wrapped tight around the rolled end of the main leaf and is not noticeable until you really look for it. I still think yours may have a pickup spring in it.

David